Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28131 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 13:17:28 »

Part of our problem last season was we let players dilly dally over our offers for too long.
Felt like Jack Payne took about 3 months to turn us down.
Plus from all accounts we didn’t even get down to contract talks till the end of our season late May.

Get the ball rolling earlier
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 13:26:06 »

Totally agree. How did we not get Egbo tied down? Seemingly took him at his word and then got caught short. Another example of the absolute sh1tshow that is our 'football admin'.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 14:43:58 »

Ward: I'd really like him to improve his ball control and become a number 1. He pulls of some super saves at times, but is prone to the odd clanger.

Hutton: Doesn't seem to want to give more than 60-70%. I think he must want out.

Iandolo: I'd like to see him remain, but not as a starter. I think he is a decent squad player, but we need better from starters if we are ever going to get promoted.

Lavinier is an odd one for me. Sometimes I really like him, but other I think he's a liability. He reminds me of 'Kevin the Teenager' as when he tries something fancy and loses the ball, be seems to shrug his shoulders and harrumph before thinking about trying to win the ball back!

Clayton has looked good when partnered with a right footed CB who knows what they are doing. Prone to the odd mistake.

Khan: Has really blotted his copy book with the sending offs. Not sure if he has a history of that? I think he is the best that we have, but we should have a couple of other midfielders just as good if not better. I'd like to keep him with others around him, but, if we cash in, so be it.

Darcy: Can run lots and lots. But, not sure that there is much else there. He looks better when we are on top and winning. He really is a poor man's Payne.

Cain: Another lightweight midfielder who plays short, sharp, crisp passes. Can he win the ball? Can he inject energy? Can he drive forward? I haven't seen it.

Williams: I'm not sure that he will fit in with what Morris wants or what we can afford. If we have to keep Cain and Darcy then maybe we need some physicality

Shade: Was absolutely superb in one half of each of the two games he played for Walsall against us last year (but anonymous in the other two halves). He looks as if he is an athlete rather than a footballer. Unless we are playing him in the wrong position?

McEachran: Has done enough to earn a new contract, but I suspect others will offer him a more lucrative one.

Jephcott: I assume that we wont take up the option. He hasn't shown enough.

Austin: I hope he does another year. I can't see it though.

Adeloye is surely a non-league player. But, I was interested to hear Fjortoft saying that with a run of games, Adeloye is a different player.

Aguiar is not good enough

FBT is a starter at LB

Tomlinson is someone I hope stays fit. If he can do that then I think he's a good squad player.

Devine pay as you play gamble?

Harries looked poor in every game I saw him. Just too slow physically and mentally.

Brewitt looks like a versatile squad player. Didn't do so well vs Rochdale but has done enough before that to show he has something.

Wakeling is maybe an impact sub? Not sure anyone is going to come and pay us a lot for him. Looking at the 3 year contract, I think he will improve in that time.

RHM looks a handful for defenders. I'd like to see him kick on with us next year. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see him get offers.

So, in conclusion, I don't think there is anyone that I would say we 'had' to keep. I think there are better out there, for everyone except Austin. There are no other goalscorers like him in L2. But, can we afford him and can we afford to build around his short comings? Or would be better off trying to get someone younger who is on the way up?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 14:53:12 »

If you think there is enough quality strikers out there queuing up to play in L2 for L2 wages at STFC that we can just relegate Wakeling to a squad player then I think you’re expectations are too high.

Finished article, no
Great in every game he plays, no
Many better strikers out there available? Probably not at his age.
Jamiestfc

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 15:36:33 »

Hi guys, new to the forum. So hello !
I personally think we should build a team around Brynn, FBT, Khan, Mceachran. Try and keep hold of Hutton, Williams & Austin and improve the surrounding areas with experience. We’re crying out for some experience at the back and the know how of winning games at this level. We seem to throw away so many winnable games with a big lack in experience. I personally would’ve kept Macdonald and Gladwin as we have not replaced them!
I really hope Austin stays and we play to his strengths as he has shown can be a cut above the level and the difference for us!
Regarding Williams, I also really hope he stays, I’ve loved watching him and seems to make the hard things look easy. I think we’ve been lucky to have him thanks to the Garner link. He does get fouled a lot but I think it’s the only way opponents can stop him at times e.g. Grealish. Pretty sure he has also been on the same wage under a wage cap when we signed him under a transfer embargo nearly 2 years ago. He definitely hasn’t signed a new one since anyway! I remember Gladwin & Reed were given the same contracts at the same time. Unbelievable business from the club. Would not be surprised to see him walk to be honest though but I hope I’m wrong !!
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 15:52:06 by Jamiestfc » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #50 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 17:04:40 »

Hi guys, new to the forum. So hello !

Hello you cunt
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 18:22:00 »

If you think there is enough quality strikers out there queuing up to play in L2 for L2 wages at STFC that we can just relegate Wakeling to a squad player then I think you’re expectations are too high.

Finished article, no
Great in every game he plays, no
Many better strikers out there available? Probably not at his age.
What I mean is that I think he plays better and make more impact for the team when he comes off of the bench.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 18:32:01 »

Anyone know who had the biggest budget in league 2 and where we sat🤔

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 18:50:29 »

Quote from: Nomoreheroes

Iandolo: I'd like to see him remain, but not as a starter. I think he is a decent squad player, but we need better from starters if we are ever going to get promoted.

regardless of ability and flexibility opinions, surely his injury record is now such that if we get an offer we need to get shot
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 21:43:01 »

regardless of ability and flexibility opinions, surely his injury record is now such that if we get an offer we need to get shot
Depends on how much we are offered, but there’s a different between accepting a suitable offer and getting shot. I wouldn’t get shot, but I wouldn’t want him as a starter.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 22:01:41 »

Too many wearers of rose tinted spectacles. Gladwin, Conroy and Macdonald wouldn’t have got us in the POs.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 22:32:26 »

Depends on how much we are offered, but there’s a different between accepting a suitable offer and getting shot. I wouldn’t get shot, but I wouldn’t want him as a starter.

But whats the point for 10-15 games per season
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 23:15:03 »

I can't see the transfer strategy changing much next season from this. With the factoring loan arrangement of future transfer fees being paid in advance then we need to ensure a regular flow of transfer income to repay.

So unless there is the next Jayden Bogle or the Ifil lad who went to Brighton in the youth set up, then it's gonna be the ex Academy youngsters and hope a couple come off. We aren't going to sign too many 6'3 League 2 29 year experienced players.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 23:25:08 »

But whats the point for 10-15 games per season
If we can get better for equal or less money then we should.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, March 19, 2023, 23:58:02 »

😂😂 very true. It’s a catch 22 I guess, when he speaks, he comes across awfully. Like, shocking -fans get annoyed. And when he doesn’t speak, fans annoyed by the silence 😭😭

You'll only get the billy bullshitter element of bluster from him, may as well wheel in BoJo
for it. The less we hear from him the better. I'd rather Clem put his head above the parapet, lead a press conference like an actual owner and lay down what changes he's going to implement.

It won't happen though. It'll come through a mixture of not so official channels like the STBL, some murmured mutterings via Vic at the OSC and the AB/Rob Angus...it'll either be as clear as mud or very vague in what is actually going to be done. It wouldn't surprise if the PR excuse will be something like:

''With us focussing on purchasing and redeveloping the stadium, which will be an exciting and new era for Swindon Town FC, our expectations and targets on the pitch will be slightly different to previous seasons. We believe it's important to make this step and so this means there will be a much smaller squad in the forthcoming season. With exciting prospects arriving from Pakistan and using club connections we will still focus on a data driven model of developing emerging talent and playing an exciting brand of football not commonly seen by many teams in League Two. With this approach we will convince and entice the future stars of tomorrow to come and train during the summer, with open trials held at Beversbrook. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone to prove that they have what it takes to be a professional footballer regardless of their background. Xav/Zav will have just returned from Karachi and will be involved in selecting the best of the best from this initiative. Swindon Town FC will look to sign 5 players via this method to compliment the completion of next season's squad.

With all these exciting projects happening at Town, right now is the perfect time to buy your season ticket as the joint venture nears completion, everyone can be proud to support STFC and truly beam with energy that they have finally got their club back.

Once again, thanks for deferring your season ticket refunds and we can't wait to see you pay over the odds for the forthcoming season

Come On Your Tits

Clem Formuni''

===

Yeah, Town fans will 'have our club back' (again) but will likely be a phoenix club playing in the fucking Vanarama South.

Joy.

Division.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 20, 2023, 00:10:50 by BambooToTheFuture » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: