Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Carlisle  (Read 23479 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:03:46 »

Win football matches, play bigger teams / rivals who bring big away support which generates a decent atmosphere.

Completely agree. Hard to create an atmosphere with 72 away Harrogate fans. In recent years best atmosphere has been Plymouth, Exeter and Crewe home games where away attendances were decent and a lot on the line.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:04:41 »

Completely agree. Hard to create an atmosphere with 72 away Harrogate fans. In recent years best atmosphere has been Plymouth, Exeter, Crewe and Port Vale home games where away attendances were decent and a lot on the line.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:07:30 »

With our injury problems and inability to defend crosses in to our box, particularly (but not exclusively) from corners, a play off finish now seems unlikely and my thoughts turn to next season.

With a decent coaching set-up now in place, I believe we have the makings of a decent group of young players most of who will have benefitted from a seasons experience at league 2 level.

The current players who are either contracted or who I would seek to get signed up at least for a further season are- Hutton, Lavinier, Minturn, Tomlinson, Clayton, Blake-Tracey, Brewitt (admittedly based on evidence of only 1 game), McEachran, Khan, Wakelin, Hepburn-Murphy.

Happy for following to be released: Darcy, Iandolo, Adeloye, Shade, Williams (contentious i know just feel he is too lightweight), Aguair, Roberts, Harries, Baudry, Cain, Devine ( too injury prone).

I suspect this will be Austins last season but would be a good influence if he wants to carry on as a squad option or part coaching role.

No interest in signing Jephcott or any of the other loanees, unless Brynn became available, which is highly unlikely.

Would need to then focus on recruiting a group of experienced players who add physicality, particularly to spine of the team i.e Goalie, Centre half, Central defensive midfielder and centre forward. Get the recruitment right and we may have  shout at automatics next time season.

Thoughts?

I think Darcy & Shade have done enough to show there is something there and they would be worth giving another year (think they are both contracted anyway) before we make a definitive decision one way or the other.

Cain has only just got here so can’t see him going anywhere.

Austin & Williams really depends on Morris plans (if he’s still here) because I think you have to play to their strengths.

Austin needs to be in the box. So if you want to seriously press from the front it probably needs to be a 433 but we clearly want to use wing backs. Or you go 4231 and have Austin as the one and get the 3 behind him to do the leg work. Williams is probably best as the #10 in a 4231 as well. He isn’t a wide forward in a 433, he isn’t an out and out CM in a 433. He isn’t a winger for a 442 either.

He interesting to see if 352 is what Morris wants to play or whether 352 is what Morris had decided is the right way to go with who is available.

I’ve always thought it’s a shit formation tbh
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:11:04 »

Anyone read this

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/03/11/total-football-doesnt-work-in-league-2-our-view/

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:17:39 »

Only had to read the title.

Play to win. Doesn’t matter how.
This narrative that you have to play football a certain way is bollocks.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:25:08 »

…but…I guarantee that if any other club had a fans podcast host trying to get chants going pre-match we’d all be calling it tinpot. I am surprised Sandro hasn’t had the blame for it though.

You should blame Jody Morris as some sort of clever parody. Would be peak comedy that.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:29:40 »

FGR won the league doing it last season didn't they?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:31:40 »

FGR won the league doing it last season didn't they?

Yes they did but had a settled team. What about this season?

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:32:46 »

Yes they did but had a settled team. What about this season?

Completely irrelevant to my response to the article which you raise Jimmy.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:34:15 »

Mildly interesting fact - Ronan Darcy has the most appearances for us of any outfield player this season (if you add up starts and sub appearances) with 36 - 15 off the bench. He's been involved in every game apart from Harrogate and Carlisle right at the start of the season and then Plymouth in the PJT.

I remember last season being very "excited" by Jayden Mitchell-Lawson making more appearances as a sub in a single season than any Town player in history, ending up coming on 24 times. Both Shade (18 so far) and Darcy (15) have a decent shot at beating that his season.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:34:56 »

Completely irrelevant to my response to the article which you raise Jimmy.

I didn't pass judgment on the article just passed it was about STFC.

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:40:10 »

I didn't pass judgment on the article just passed it on as that article was about STFC.

You've stated a few times that we need to sign bigger, more physical players, play in a certain way to get out of league 2 and so I assumed that article was to back up what you have been saying?

Only last season a team who were closer to playing 'total football' won the league easily. I guess I disagree with the article.

More than 1 way to skin a cat. Smiley
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:45:25 by Bob's Orange » Logged

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 14:45:40 »

You've stated a few times that we need to sign bigger, more physical players, play in a certain way to get out of league 2 and so I assumed that article was to back up what you have been saying?

Only last season a team who were closer to playing 'total football' won the league easily. I guess I disagree with the article.

Are you sure they won the league easily as I thought they nearly blew it at the end!

Yep I stick with what you've quoted in my opinion we need to sign a few more bigger physical players who will give us experience, height for both penalty areas as we very rarely score from set pcs and concede too easily then it's up to the coaching to work out the best system to get results and not just mess around at that back and take chances because nearly every other team does. Play a passing game but in the right areas is what I want to see plus how often have teams bullied us this season because our team has been too lightweight?

* IMG_4494.PNG (139.63 KB, 1536x944 - viewed 86 times.)
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 15:03:03 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 15:09:41 »

Was covered in the transfer rumours last week mate, hes 7 years older now though so probably grown up a bit.
Aah, missed that!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Sunday, March 12, 2023, 15:22:40 »

Not sure I'd want to see a team full of 6ft plus skinheads like one or 2 outfits in L2 but I understand the sentiment.

Grant wasn't the tallest & there will be technically good midfielders on the market this summer who can also have a dig at the opposition if required.

FBT is good in the air & a threat at set pieces but not a giant. Clayton handy as well & Brewitt.

Given the right coaching a smallish, mobile & technically very good midfield unit will run rings around most opponents in this league.
One moment in the first half yesterday when I think it was George, Cain & Williams who played through the Carlisle midfield with a couple of passes.
Could be exciting times on the horizon if Morris can imprint that on the squad.
Lot of work yet to do mind.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: