Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Each clubs last 20 league goalscorer  (Read 4082 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 15:01:23 »

Our attendances the past two seasons have been nothing short of remarkable given our last 40 years or so history.  In 2015, a mere 8 years ago, in the season we got to the Play Off Final for Div 3, we managed 6,305 for our second last home game against Walsall.

7th March 2000 Swindon 2 Huddersfield 0 Att: 4,701

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 15:12:13 »

7th March 2000 Swindon 2 Huddersfield 0 Att: 4,701

In 1994 for our first game in the Premier League our attendance vs Oldham was just 11,940.

As a comparison in the Premier season there was just 7,758 at Wimbledon, 9,771 at Oldham, 9,875 at QPR and only 11,180 at Chelsea!

For the Grimsby game a few weeks back we had an attendance of 11,053 so not too far behind the clubs 1st ever top division attendance, yet, 4 divisions lower low!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 15:18:10 »

In 1994 for our first game in the Premier League our attendance vs Oldham was just 11,940.

As a comparison in the Premier season there was just 7,758 at Wimbledon, 9,771 at Oldham, 9,875 at QPR and only 11,180 at Chelsea!

For the Grimsby game a few weeks back we had an attendance of 11,053 so not too far behind the clubs 1st ever top division attendance, yet, 4 divisions lower low!

I remember the Chelsea away game and how pitiful the crowd was considering they're a big club and surprised how small the QPR away attendance was.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 15:25:14 »

surprised how small the QPR away attendance was.
Pretty sure we took near 2,000 there that day too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 15:42:53 »

I remember the Chelsea away game and how pitiful the crowd was considering they're a big club and surprised how small the QPR away attendance was.

Chelsea weren't really a 'big' club then, they seemed to yo you between D1 & D2 for a lot of the 80's and early 90's, it was only really Russian money that took them to the next level, albeit possibly the growth could be traced back to Hoddle's time in charge there?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 16:17:50 »

Pretty sure we took near 2,000 there that day too.

Lots went dressed as the Blues Brothers plus other fancy dress outfits!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 16:26:37 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 16:25:20 »

Chelsea weren't really a 'big' club then, they seemed to yo you between D1 & D2 for a lot of the 80's and early 90's, it was only really Russian money that took them to the next level, albeit possibly the growth could be traced back to Hoddle's time in charge there?

Fair point, at that time they weren't seen as a big club even though historically they would regularly get 50000+ when the likes of Bonnetti, Graham, Hollins, Hudson, Cooke & Osgood were playing for them.

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 16:28:28 »

They picked up a few cups under Viali and Gullet pre Abramovic, but they were definitely in a slump in 94.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 16:53:15 »

I think attendances rise in the last year must factor in a clamour/need for being at live events. After Covid-19 Lockdowns and closure of next to all live events to the paying public, as well as factoring in with confidence to mix with other humans (avec and then sans face mask/social distance)...the ''release the hounds Smithers'' style of chomping at the bit probably has some part to play.

Ya know, people making up for lost time. Effectively we're seeing that level off now and I think that might have peaked. On the obvious horizon is a probable dip, as the new/ongoing factor of ''cost of living/inflation/brexit knock-on'' etc does and will impact many of us. Coupled with potential tickets rises across the board, even the part time of financial analysts would be safe to project a dip in attendances for Town next season; even if in the division above.

Although ''build it and they will come'' often strikes a fairly accurate chord regardless of the climate; football does often tend to be one of those pastimes which is much like beer - you're skint but somehow can still afford to drink. I do feel Town would have to be sniffing around the top 8 in L1 to see similar and better gates to last and this season. That's not to say I think they'd drop excessively if in L1 but stay in L2 and I think we'll see lower gates for sure, as more feel the pinch and prioritise accordingly. It is just an unfortunate reality of the current economic time and likely not exclusive to STFC.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 17:00:54 »

I remember watching highlights of Swindon playing against Chelsea (it could have been a Zenith Data Systems cup game) and Stamford Bridge being a shell of what it is now. There always seemed to be cars parked behind one of the goals, including a light blue 'mobility' car that sticks on the memory banks for some bizarre reason.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 17:17:26 »

I remember watching highlights of Swindon playing against Chelsea (it could have been a Zenith Data Systems cup game) and Stamford Bridge being a shell of what it is now. There always seemed to be cars parked behind one of the goals, including a light blue 'mobility' car that sticks on the memory banks for some bizarre reason.

My first ever Town game was against them in the Simod Cup with a very respectful attendance for a Tuesday night, we missed the first two goals as the traffic was dreadful and my old man couldn't find anywhere to park!

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19881103
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 18:14:38 »

My first ever Town game was against them in the Simod Cup with a very respectful attendance for a Tuesday night, we missed the first two goals as the traffic was dreadful and my old man couldn't find anywhere to park!

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19881103

Great memories, two strong teams a muddy pitch, no mention of formations in the commentary and players wearing short sleeves in the middle of winter!

So, give no fucks
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 20:02:53 »

I think attendances rise in the last year must factor in a clamour/need for being at live events. After Covid-19 Lockdowns and closure of next to all live events to the paying public, as well as factoring in with confidence to mix with other humans (avec and then sans face mask/social distance)...the ''release the hounds Smithers'' style of chomping at the bit probably has some part to play.

Ya know, people making up for lost time. Effectively we're seeing that level off now and I think that might have peaked. On the obvious horizon is a probable dip, as the new/ongoing factor of ''cost of living/inflation/brexit knock-on'' etc does and will impact many of us. Coupled with potential tickets rises across the board, even the part time of financial analysts would be safe to project a dip in attendances for Town next season; even if in the division above.

Although ''build it and they will come'' often strikes a fairly accurate chord regardless of the climate; football does often tend to be one of those pastimes which is much like beer - you're skint but somehow can still afford to drink. I do feel Town would have to be sniffing around the top 8 in L1 to see similar and better gates to last and this season. That's not to say I think they'd drop excessively if in L1 but stay in L2 and I think we'll see lower gates for sure, as more feel the pinch and prioritise accordingly. It is just an unfortunate reality of the current economic time and likely not exclusive to STFC.

I agree………though Covid must not have happened in Oxford then!!!!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 20:06:57 »

I agree………though Covid must not have happened in Oxford then!!!!

That's where it came from🤣

So, give no fucks
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 20:25:51 »

Our attendances the past two seasons have been nothing short of remarkable given our last 40 years or so history.  In 2015, a mere 8 years ago, in the season we got to the Play Off Final for Div 3, we managed 6,305 for our second last home game against Walsall.

I still remember the embarrassment of our first ever game in the top flight attracting only 11.5k. Ok it was Oldham on a Tuesday night but FFS!

..never go back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: