Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sutton v Swindon matchday thread  (Read 20537 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 15:05:28 »

I may be alone but I couldn't care if Brand comes here or not. Can't seem to get worked up about a No.2

Jody Morris might care if Brand comes here or not, it potentially could be a deal breaker for him staying as manager or not.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #496 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 15:12:46 »

Jody Morris might care if Brand comes here or not, it potentially could be a deal breaker for him staying as manager or not.
There is also that Brand may be more of a tactition or motivator in the dressing room which could aid us hugely.

I remember in the late 70s early 80s when Bob Smith was in charge he was Wif Tranter as assistant and when he left we were relegated even with Smith still in charge.

Potentially a massive signing IMO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 15:53:35 »

This is where I take issue, people keep saying we need to do what we do to be sustainable or to survive. No we don’t.

For me being a sustainable football club is about producing the best possible squad each season within our budget & selling players to fund incremental squad improvements each year. A football club is not about making a profit, it’s about not making a loss.

It is not just focusing on punts & long term development in the hope of a return, that is an academy.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. From the interviews with JM and CA, they are saying that the ‘boys’ have to learn fast.   We need some older heads who have learnt ! 

Young kids from teams in the higher divisions who have never scraped before are a liability in this league.

The budget is there for those valuable, experienced heads.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 15:57:04 »

Brian Howard - formally of this parish was there on Saturday. As an agent, he was saying to me that he has over 50 players on his books including Scotty Twine. Maybe he can steer someone our way.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 16:14:26 »

With his record of W0 D0 L3 would that be such a bad thing.  Wink

Seriously though if we either can't afford what Chelsea are asking to let Brand go or Chelsea are just refusing to let him go I am not sure what Morris expects the club to do?
DMC

« Reply #500 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 16:25:15 »

My eyes are fucked but who are the 2 stood near the striker for that 2nd goal, is it Ellis and Hutton
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 16:57:29 »

My eyes are fucked but who are the 2 stood near the striker for that 2nd goal, is it Ellis and Hutton
Yup, and Brennan was there too

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 17:04:58 »

Yeah Brennan is sort of out of view but he is there. I'm not much of a defensive shape expert but seems a bit odd that our two wing backs are defending the cross, I think FBT is out near the crosser but I'm not really sure where Clayton is?

Okay so here's the clip, as the cross comes in from their left hand side, our defence has pulled so far across that the furthest rightwards defender (Hutton) is in the centre of our goal - there is nobody at all on the far side of the pitch/back post (#33 is absolutely unmarked on the edge of the six yard box, as is #5 on the back post - the ball doesn't go near them though). Iandolo and Brennan are marking the same man (who doesn't get the ball but does block Brynn's sight), Clayton and FBT have nobody that they are near in a yellow shirt, and are presumably either doing something zonal or just being out of position. The scorer (#8) has peeled off Hutton and not been picked up by Iandolo or Brennan, who are both still wrestling with #35.

I don't know what our plan is, so I can't tell you exactly who has fucked up there, but it sure looks like all of our back 5 have done *something* wrong there.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 17:11:38 by Nemo » Logged
Laddy in Red

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 18:05:25 »

The defensive shape was poor the last 30 mins, seemed to be a lot of bunching, like kids football at times, so I'm not surprised the marking was a shambles for the 2nd goal.

I think being out of contention more quickly will be better for next season because Morris can experiment a bit or put a plan in place which takes time to perfect, that is assuming we don't flog anyone half decent in the summer again anyway.   
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 18:06:29 »

a fair few ooc in the summer tbf
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 18:15:47 »

I think its pretty obvious to most people that what you believe is wrong. We had FBT anyway and we're trying to sign another Centre Back.

Us making a last minute signing of an injured left back is clearly something separate and doesn't change that we got rid of MacDonald with the intention of replacing him with an actual Centre Back and then didn't.

You're pretty obviously wrong.

Fine, I’m obviously wrong and we aren’t playing FBT in MacDonalds position at all.
We are just playing FBT & Iandolo at left back & signed Tomlinson to play left back too.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 19:57:16 »

I think being out of contention more quickly will be better for next season because Morris can experiment a bit or put a plan in place which takes time to perfect.   
That is certainly one way of thinking about a shameful campaign.   Wish I could live life with that attitude rather than the grumpy middle aged fucker that I am.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 09:48:46 »

There is also that Brand may be more of a tactition or motivator in the dressing room which could aid us hugely.

I remember in the late 70s early 80s when Bob Smith was in charge he was Wif Tranter as assistant and when he left we were relegated even with Smith still in charge.

Potentially a massive signing IMO.
Good point mate but I'd just add that we've had about 40 managers since then but,apart from maybe Gus Poyet, I can't think of a particularly influential No.2. Happy to be proved wrong

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 09:55:06 »

Good point mate but I'd just add that we've had about 40 managers since then but,apart from maybe Gus Poyet, I can't think of a particularly influential No.2. Happy to be proved wrong

Well, Cooper was Kevin McDonald's number two and Luke Williams was Cooper, Power (sigh) and Ling's. Noel Hunt seemed to get a lot of credit under Wellens. Think there have been a few more influential than the old "cone gatherer" stuff Mike Walsh used to do for Kingy!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 10:07:02 »

Well, Cooper was Kevin McDonald's number two and Luke Williams was Cooper, Power (sigh) and Ling's. Noel Hunt seemed to get a lot of credit under Wellens. Think there have been a few more influential than the old "cone gatherer" stuff Mike Walsh used to do for Kingy!
Malcolm Crosby under King, he was ultimately the brains of that double act.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: