Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Gillingham prematch and matchday thread  (Read 27758 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:16:02 »

Were you surprised he took Williams off?

A little. But he wasn't having the greatest game by his standards.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:16:56 »

Williams was injured

Well that explains it. He didn't look that bad.

Charlie looked a bit fucked towards the end though. Hopefully not serious.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:17:26 »

A little. But he wasn't having the greatest game by his standards.

Cheers Chalky, Quaggy also said he was injured.

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:19:37 »

the problem is we tried to play 5 (wbs) 2 3 and Willo roams to much into space to help khan. that's his game.

iandolo got sucked into the left side of midfield too much too given he was supposed to be CB.

I thought we'd adjust, but I thought we would do so to accommodate Williams. As it happens Gunning got the reshuffle right.

a couple of radio listeners near us also thought he was injured, but there was no mention of it in the post match. I don't think Hawes asked specifically like he normally does though
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:32:27 »

minturn deserves a chance. looks so composed and confident.

clayton confirmed he will be back next week which is an added bonus.

first 12 minutes was just a shell shocked positional nightmare.

we deserved to win following the next 78 minutes.

enough on display to look forward to this jody morris era

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:42:17 »

I'm surprised you think any of the first half was decent.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:54:06 »

I'm surprised you think any of the first half was decent.

decent is pushing it! i just meant deserved to win more than them. Gillingham suprised me how quickly they went into a defensive shape after their 3rd but saying that we went almost straight into the 4-2-3-1 of previous and we started to turn the corner very slightly.

We had some good chances and austin had a couple past the post which would have made the half time mood a bit better. 
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:56:57 »

Mad Gavs tactics in the first half were a shambles.

How do you go from playing great with 4231 to today which in effect was 3-1-6 with Williams playing nowhere near centre mid and Hutton pushed up as usual.

Thank god for Charlie Austin

We scored 4 of the 5 vs Grimsby after switching to 343

The issue today was thinking it would work against 11 men

Things get better but they never get good
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:57:27 »

Do you mean Minturn? Looked ok

I did! Fing autocorrect!

..never go back.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 20:58:05 »

I think on about the half hour mark it did switch to a back four and pushed iandolo into midfield. Massive cock up in approach to start the game which ultimately cost us three points

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:01:45 »

2 points
DMC

« Reply #431 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:02:07 »

We scored 4 of the 5 vs Grimsby after switching to 343

The issue today was thinking it would work against 11 men
And the personel to use it
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:08:05 »

I think on about the half hour mark it did switch to a back four and pushed iandolo into midfield. Massive cock up in approach to start the game which ultimately cost us three points

Gunning called Iandolo over and told him to push into midfield.  Oddly, it didn't look like a message went out to the other because FBT was asking where to play a few seconds later.

It wasn't even 3-4-3.  It was two left backs (Iandolo kept sliding too far over, went wandering for their first), Williams playing a number 10 role and three central strikers getting in each others way.

Someone mentioned how Jephcott got little service.  I don't agree, part of the issue was the three muddling the space and the other part is that he just doesn't go looking.  He's a poacher you need to feed, and we really don't look like ever being able to support him.  Austin managed to shape about 5 or 6 chances (not clear ones) with the same service - he went looking, found a yard off of a shoulder, drifted wide etc.  I would send Jephcott back, unless we go and sign some wingers and a big man up top or someone who runs defenders ragged to play next to him, which isn't going to happen now we signed Austin.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:08:07 »

2 points

Haha, bloody hell yes you’re right

And yes, dmc. No idea what gunning was thinking. Williams isn’t disciplined enough to play as a central midfielder, and Jephcot not mobile or energetic enough to be anything other than a target mAn. Those first 15-20 minutes were some of the most disjointed a side I have ever seen

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:12:37 »

Gunning called Iandolo over and told him to push into midfield.  Oddly, it didn't look like a message went out to the other because FBT was asking where to play a few seconds later.

It wasn't even 3-4-3.  It was two left backs (Iandolo kept sliding too far over, went wandering for their first), Williams playing a number 10 role and three central strikers getting in each others way.

Someone mentioned how Jephcott got little service.  I don't agree, part of the issue was the three muddling the space and the other part is that he just doesn't go looking.  He's a poacher you need to feed, and we really don't look like ever being able to support him.  Austin managed to shape about 5 or 6 chances (not clear ones) with the same service - he went looking, found a yard off of a shoulder, drifted wide etc.  I would send Jephcott back, unless we go and sign some wingers and a big man up top or someone who runs defenders ragged to play next to him, which isn't going to happen now we signed Austin.

gillingham 1st goal was laviner losing the ball, iandolo committing to cover, khan not following his man.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: