Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Gillingham prematch and matchday thread  (Read 28078 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:15:48 »

Indeed, all three of them.  Khan being a player who is out of non-league (so expect some ups and downs), Lavinier is a bloody right back and Iandolo a squad player at best who has always wandered.  About two mins after he was told to push into midfield he went and overlapped Lavinier.  I know FBT had a good second half, really good one, but he was just as much involved in the first half shit show - also him and Brennan kept getting swapped around leaving us with defenders on their wrong feet.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:17:08 »

Oh, and I know I am being harsh and this is league two so they are playing like that for a reason etc.

That is precisely why you should be making the game as simple as possible for the players - put them where they are most comfortable.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:25:57 »

Side note.
Made my day managing to get a photo with Joe Wilkinson as he was going into the away end. What a man.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 21:36:35 »

Additional side note. Robins suite hospitality compared to 1879 suite is like league 2 to Premier league.

For such a small price difference the quality of food is staggering and wouldn't be doing that again.

If I wasn't a swindon fan and I had invited someone to that I would have been a bit embarrassed. 1879 is top notch and will book further in advance to make sure I'm on that again or not worth doing it at all
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 22:20:03 »

1879 is the main one right?  If so, did that when I came back for xmas the year before last and it was surprisingly good.  I'd done it in the past and got the usual bland chicken effort, but this was very tasty.  Just needed the drinks ordering sorted out.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 22:36:30 by RobertT » Logged
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 23:14:20 »

1879 is the main one right?  If so, did that when I came back for xmas the year before last and it was surprisingly good.  I'd done it in the past and got the usual bland chicken effort, but this was very tasty.  Just needed the drinks ordering sorted out.

yh it is. the worst tease was a plate of 1879 came through the room to a member of staff and it was a tease seeing it compared to the 2 meal buffet. the drinks ordering isn't that bad for half time especially, write down what you want on the piece of paper and its waiting for you as you walk in.

rob angus was very visible and chatty to everyone. lavinier spoke very well as did tom clayton pre match
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Saturday, January 28, 2023, 23:21:54 »

Shambolic defending coupled in with some rotten officiating in the first 20. Wasn’t shocked mind you, we had the same ref forest green away last season and he was just as shit towards us.

Brennan bullied the entire game. Far too weak. FBT my MOM - brilliant. Need a left back with a left foot ideally. Iandolo fucking shite, be unreal business to sell him and get somehow get money. Easily replaced. Sentiment the only thing with him now and sandro has zero time for that. Khan a great player, but he’ll never played above League 1. He’s got no fucking brain, second time this season, and he’s been close to a double yellow in other games. Hepburn Murphy brilliant assist but criminal not to square. Cain looked good

Crying out for centre halves. Need two, 1 replacement and 1 extra body. Gladwin replacement and another 1 or 2 needed imo. If they flog Williams….. wow. Surely not.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 06:06:34 »

Just read on another forum (but not seen in first hand) that Neil Harris didn’t think ours should have been a penalty (yeah agree with that) but Jills being given one was the correct decision (how on earth could anyone think getting hit on the face is a penalty)
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 07:56:22 »

A few views from their forum (Sorry Mr Venkman 🫢)

Just been looking at their forum. They are truly a bunch of arrogant twats. A bit of consternation as the left back has been recalled by Burton.

Lady Luck still with us as the defender takes one in the face but is penalized for the handball.

Give us a wave with all your extra fingers, Venkman 👋
His verdict on the first half: "Lets face it, Gills are fucking shite and a one man team...hoof to Hawkins. They are there to be beaten, if we can put a better performance in this half.”

Swindon were clearly there for the taking and looked so shaky at the back but we've just dropped deeper and deeper and deeper.

How have we gone from 1-3 to deserved losers?

Swindon were crucifying us on the flanks the extra man at the back nullified that to an extent. Swindon are no mugs and Gills were always going to be under the cosh.

Swindon also changed formation. First half they pinned 4 men up against our defenders which left their midfield wide open and their defence exposed if we won a tackle or intercepted a pass. 2nd half they were much more balanced

Swindon Town are not Colchester United, that tactic worked last week, but not this week against a Swindon Town Team who constantly pass the ball, get into good areas, and have got players with genuine quality.

I was surprised we didn’t start with a 5 at the back, given the quality Swindon possess going forward and their decent wide players.

Swine were clearly dodgy at the back but if they are a good possession team and come at you in waves with dangerous wide men, it is easier said than done to maintain any pressure yourselves.

was frustrated by the second half but the Swine got their tactics horribly wrong in the first half and we benefited from that / exploited it, second half they sorted their act out and showed why they are in the top six.

For me, in the second half before the changes, Swindon were attacking us at will down the flanks

Swindon on the other hand had bags of it and had very dangerous wide players. Good point. 3 goals. Great away day.

Unfortunately for us today they have a top class striker, not many players in this league with movement like Austin showed for the equaliser.

As I posted earlier, Swindon are no mugs and are 6th for a reason. Plus, good point re Charlie Austin, good, intelligent player, back at the club he started at. Without him in the Swindon side all 3 points would’ve been ours. However over the 90 a draw was a fair result.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 08:00:15 by Qunk » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 08:03:49 »

Most of those seem fairly level headed and fair to be honest.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 08:09:23 »

Most of those seem fairly level headed and fair to be honest.

That was my opinion too
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 08:10:27 »

Waited patiently for the what I thought would be decent highlights after a 6 goal thriller, disappointed the game received barely 15 seconds.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 08:45:48 »

I would like to see the RHB break at the end again. There was a player on his right that was totally open.

I want to check to see whether a pass or a shot was the best option.

Obviously, since the keeper saved the shot, without reviewing it, a pass feels better.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 08:50:10 »

I would like to see the RHB break at the end again. There was a player on his right that was totally open.

Obviously, since the keeper saved the shot, without reviewing it, a pass feels better.

Having watched it again, the player available (Charlie) would have scored if the pass was perfect. But he was very tightly marked and I think that it was as likely that the pass would be cut out as the shot would be saved, which is what transpired. If Austin was wide open the shot was the wrong choice, but he wasn’t, so I think having a pop was fair
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Sunday, January 29, 2023, 08:51:27 »

After watching it back, I don’t think it’s on

https://mobile.twitter.com/jiff1967/status/1619377440593256448
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: