Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 20778 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 07:39:58 »

We are crap.   The players know it, the manager knows it, the fans know it.

Our plan to score still remains the same as it was at the start of the season.  Get it out to Hutton and cross into an empty box, there's just no variety.

We're also hopeless at set pieces and I'm pretty sure we haven't scored a corner this season (We must have had 200 odd by this stage), our attacking free kicks go to Brynn far more often than the oppo keeper, yet other teams score both regularly.

It's turgid stuff and one of the worst seasons in our history.
Sadly it was foreseeable in the summer.   An inexperienced manager/coach with an inexperienced DOF was never going to work.   Awful squad build, playing style, tactics etc, no flair or discipline.   Just nothing.

On the plus side we haven't been relegated and we can't be this shit next season
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 08:22:44 »

Biggest disappointments.

Failure to build on last season - especially as this league this season is dire.

Appointment of Lindsey.

Failure to sack him earlier.

Injury rate.

Fans with no patience. It’s obvious Morris has something about him - give him time.

Recruitment has been haphazard - but not as bad as people keep banging on about.

Next season is a tipping point for the club.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 08:33:52 »

Quote from: DiV
We we are paying them now - so we can afford them currently.

True, especially Austin.

Got the impression Williams would be after more money from his comments in that press conference the other week

something about wanting to stay but having signed when under 'embargo' (restrictions due to EFL loan)

could be wrong
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 08:40:44 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
Fans with no patience. It’s obvious Morris has something about him - give him time.

Personally I've got him down as 'hopefully good'

seems to be making the right noises
seems to know what he wants

unlike some, I'm still struggling to see intended style on the pitch but I've not seen us in a couple of weeks.

But we simply have to forget this season and see where we are with him next. Which I think is agreeing with you
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 08:54:04 »

Well that was dire, more like a last game of the season with nothing to play for. Running through last nights squad I would be surprised if more than fifty percent of them were still here next season which means a rebuild once again and JM having to work magic if we are going to get out of this awful bloody division.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:14:11 »

Biggest disappointments.

Recruitment has been haphazard - but not as bad as people keep banging on about.

I agree for what it's worth. Apart from maybe Kadji,who looks a bit of a non footballer,who has been a really poor signing compared to some of the dross we've had in the past, especially under Di Canio?
FBT,Tomlinson,Brewitt,Austin,McEachran,Khan all good signings in my book. Injuries have played a major part and we may have signed some prone players but that was fairly unforeseeable to be honest
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:43:16 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:19:29 »

Personally I've got him down as 'hopefully good'

seems to be making the right noises
seems to know what he wants

unlike some, I'm still struggling to see intended style on the pitch but I've not seen us in a couple of weeks.

But we simply have to forget this season and see where we are with him next. Which I think is agreeing with you

Similar view here.
I’ve not seen anything so far from Morris to suggest we should be talking about massive strides & promotion next season - that’s not to say that he can’t or won’t - just I’m not convinced as of right now.
Obviously he needs time and we probably shouldn’t be judging him till the end of the year.

I just think the way football is now - elite academy coaches who coach the best youngsters money can buy in state of the art facilities with a plethora of back room staff who are probably some of the best at what they do is so far removed from the realities of ‘real’ football that it will be a massive adjustment.

For example - we’ve picked up a lot of injuries the last few weeks. Could be a number of things but I do wonder if Morris is training them like he would train 18 year olds who train on perfect pitches & after training go to the state of the art multimillion pound gym for a recovery session, a sports massage and a healthy lunch made for them by a top chef rather than division 4 footballers on a muddy field in Calne who go straight home afterwards and probably stop for a meal deal from Tesco’s on the way…
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:21:13 »

For me the most promising thing about Morris has been his in-game tactical switches and substitutions - we've had a couple of managers now where if Plan A hasn't worked, we've tried Plan A again. Morris has, on several occasions, changed the flow of the game by changing our approach to it, whether that's formation or personnel.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:27:03 »

Two dull boring mid table sides with nothing to play for.

No style of play evident, set pieces a joke, just a whole 90 minutes of meh.

Morris has a lot of work to do in the summer, hopefully he can do it.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:30:31 »

I actually thought we played quite 'well' first half. I thought the effort, passing and intensity was certainly an upgrade on what SL was trying to do. Unfortunately, a la SL we created the square root of fuckall.

Second half we started very poorly and gave the ball away from kick off. It was pretty rotten after that. Wakeling kept getting into good positions and then running the ball out of play. The football in my eyes is better than under SL but we still have that age old problem of not being able to work opposition keepers much. Jephcott and Austin I don't think would be the type of players Morris would recruit and the summer will be interesting to see who he retains and who we bring in. I like what Morris is trying to do, I just think the hand he's been dealt isn't going to be enough this season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:35:10 »

Biggest disappointments.

Failure to build on last season - especially as this league this season is dire.

Appointment of Lindsey.

Failure to sack him earlier.

Injury rate.

Next season is a tipping point for the club.

I'd add ill discipline to this list, which otherwise absolutely mirrors my thoughts.

Until we have a largely fit team with no suspensions we won't know what Morris wants to really implement tactically. There hasn't been a single game where he hasn't had at least one hand tied behind his back. As he said last night, he couldn't play RHM because he had done two back to back 90mins and his last 90mins before that was two years ago! We haven't had a fit left back etc etc. Not excuses but context. The Gunning argument is a bit ridiculous. We beat Grimsby who were down to 10 men for 60 mins and were 1-3 down at home to a poor Gillingham side as a result of playing a suicidal formation. Long term he was not the answer.

I think Morris/Brand is a great appointment at this level and feel confident in them going forward. They've been munching on a sh1t sandwich served up by head chef Sandro.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:48:43 »

We are crap.   The players know it, the manager knows it, the fans know it.

Our plan to score still remains the same as it was at the start of the season.  Get it out to Hutton and cross into an empty box, there's just no variety.

We're also hopeless at set pieces and I'm pretty sure we haven't scored a corner this season (We must have had 200 odd by this stage), our attacking free kicks go to Brynn far more often than the oppo keeper, yet other teams score both regularly.

It's turgid stuff and one of the worst seasons in our history.
Sadly it was foreseeable in the summer.   An inexperienced manager/coach with an inexperienced DOF was never going to work.   Awful squad build, playing style, tactics etc, no flair or discipline.   Just nothing.

On the plus side we haven't been relegated and we can't be this shit next season
Agree with all of the above. In terms of shitness I would compare it to the 10/11 season when we ended up with Paul Hart in charge *shudder* The only player I will be genuinely sorry to see leave is Brynn. There are others who are OK but I'm not bothered whether they stay or go.

In terms of the positives...we're not going down - massive positive, relegation would be potentially catastrophic.

We can't be this shit next season - you would certainly hope not. We can't carry on being this shit, otherwise we will be leaving L2 at the wrong end (see above for consequences of this)...if they can't improve on this, Morris and Brand would themselves have to conclude that football management is not their thing.

Another positive is of course the ground purchase, which is massive in the long term.

And finally, the support this season which has been consistently excellent. To be getting 9,000+ last Saturday and taking 1000+ to Walsall for what was, let's face it, a dead rubber is dumbfoundingly good support (and of course the 1200 or so at Orient). I have a very short attention span when it comes to stats so I've not studied this* but looking at the crowds we were getting in the late 90's when we were last in the Championship or whatever it was called then, this season's crowds compare very favourably indeed. We regularly got sub 8,000 attendances back then but this season we've only had that once for a league game when we got 7,500 midweek for Sutton, whose fans no doubt travelled down in the proverbial taxi. In almost every game this season I have been amazed at the support and gives me hope for the future.

Anyway, back on subject. We are undoubtedly shit and this season has been utterly dire and clueless, one of the worst ever.

*credit as always must be given to the phenomenal http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 09:50:09 »

As a footnote,I truly prefer Hockaday to Grant as a co comm. He's that bad

Listening to him, the way he speaks often sounds like he is speaking in his second language. From the way he tuts and moans and his arrogance I can understand why you wouldn't want him near a team full of young players, he would knock the confidence out of them in 15 minutes.

Not Morris fault is it? Blokes been sold a pup this season i reckon.

Focua on next season now, sort the recruitment out and i think we’ll be ok next season

How has he been sold a pup, he would have known who was in the squad before he signed and if he didn't do any due diligence on them prior to signing more fool him, its hardly rocket science to note their strengths and weaknesses from watching every game, its not like 20 years ago whereby unless he had seen them in the flesh he would never have seen them play.

Likewise on transfers he will invariably have discussed this with the hierarchy before signing and bar the Tottenham lad fuck up (the source of which remains unclear despite the FACTS) which has been  addressed by way of the signing of Brewitt I can't really see what was unknown of unforeseen before he signed.

He is doing OK and it all looks promising, (albeit if I were wanting to stir the shit I would note that we were 6th when SL left and we are now 11th  Wink ) and he does seem to be able to change up a game, although he could done with doing it last night 15 minutes before he did as it was obvious that we weren't going to score as it was from about the hour.

Where he does seem to be getting a pretty easy ride on is perpetuating the approach of his predecessors in appearing to want to play to a style rather than play to the abilities of the players he has, our two top strikers are fox in the box types but as the ball rarely goes into the box they are basically wasted (Austin is great but as it stands we are paying big money to a striker to play as an AM at best, I was actually pleased that when he came on he got as little involvement as Jephcott had had as it illustrated the problem was system rather than player), likewise Wakeling isn't a winger.

On the plus side I would sign up Brewitt for as long as we can as he seems a decent hard defender and organiser (both which we have been lacking), likes a maraud and can play a pass without it having to be a (failed) Hollywood one, and I get the impression has the potential to be come quite a fans favourite, he and Clayton looked pretty tidy (albeit they were helped by what they were against!), McEchran looked brilliant until they kicked him a fair few times and then he faded a bit, but the midfield generally was a lot of huff and puff without much product (not helped by it being one of those nights when ricochets (and fuck there was a lot of that) didn't seem to drop our way).

Get 'em fit and keep them and don't think defence needs much for next year, its just getting some balance in midfield and sorting out a system that plays to players strengths rather than some sort of coaching manual.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 10:10:08 by horlock07 » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 10:11:50 »

How anyone can put any of this is beyond me. The players he's signed in an extremely limited Feb/March free agency market have been our better players since he come in which tells you everything you need to know about previous recruitment.

As others have said he's been dealt a shit sandwich between spreadsheet Sandro and the injury crisis and is doing the best he can with it.

I'd usually be up for being ruthlessly planning for next season and only starting players likely to be here, but two problems.

1. We're still mathematically in it and not far off enough to clearly be doing that without an uproar
2. We're still in an injury crisis and in some positions we just have to play whoever is fit

We all know we're not going up though, because even if we manage to scrape the play offs at 7th spot with a decent run and results go our way, we'd need a miracle three performances to win them with the depleted and haphazardly put together squad we've got.

So far Morris had recruited well, speaks well and had shown a willingness to change things logically when they're not going right tactically. I'm confident we appointed the right man for the job outside of the shit show in getting his assistant.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 10:19:20 »

Man fans thought us signing Austin that he would be our saviour and score loads of goals.

How wrong. Could we have done better? Maybe.

The team is clearly low on confidence. A lot of very poor passes last night, lack of communication and lack of leadership across the board.

Not sure what the answer is to be honest.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: