Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 29125 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:18:57 »

FWIW I just had a scan of the next manager market on BV for Crawley and they have 2 managers miles ahead in the betting market -

Garner - 11/8
Scott Lindsey - 8/15

I wonder if Crawley are looking to get the band back together down in Sussex.
No wonder Conroy was liking tweets about Lindsey leaving, he’ll be raking it in if he has any passing related bonus! Although he’s never fit so a moot point.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 13:25:56 »

This is a useful list of who is out there, albeit Kenny Overcoat is strangely on there despite taking a job at Gillingham the other day? https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/crawley-town
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 13:52:10 »

i mean this is potentially more interesting than random manager names and possibly one of the strangest things i have read on this 80% bollocks forum.

surely the only way you would ever make money in the lower league betting is to close your eyes and pick. there seems to be no set method to success, teams have appointed high profile managers, spent a lot of money, recruited well and then you still get the likes of stevenage and carlisle near the top of the league.

to say you would bet on us to do well if the cowleys took over without knowing our squad, performances and set up is pretty crazy. to follow a manager you would surely miss as much as you hit as you previously suggested. a manager to work somewhere is so hit and miss.

You have wellens of Oldham, Doncaster and Salford then you have wellens of Swindon and Leyton Orient.

You have Eddie Howe of Burnley then you have eddie howe of Bournemouth and Newcastle.

It takes a random fit for it to work and my top tip for you would be to keep it in your pocket

I agree with most of what you've written. Nothing is certain in football. But I am very much manager-orientated.

There have been occasions when I've backed a team ante-post even though I had a very low opinion of their manager. This comes back to the "right club at the right time". I thought Peter Taylor was a terrible manager but when he got the Hull City job I backed them. They had finished near the bottom of the fourth tier but had just been taken over by a wealthy consortium and had recently left Boothferry Park for The 25,000 capacity KC Stadium. Even then although Taylor led The Tigers to back to back promotions he didn't win the title either time.

But backing Hull under Taylor was a real exception. Normally it is my opinion of the manager that determines where my money goes and I have championed some right chumps over the years I will admit.

You point out correctly that managers can succeed then fail and then succeed again; Wellens being the prime example. Far more common is a manager having a shelf life and it is vital when making an appointment that owners/chairmen are aware of this; few are.

Sir Alex Ferguson is almost unique. He had a career of forty years and was still on the top of his game on his retirement. Though, as has been stated often, he would almost certainly have been sacked within his first couple of years at manu in today's world; and of course he was sacked, ridiculously, early in his management career at St Mirren. For virtually everybody else their time comes and goes if it is ever there at all.

The classic example in my opinion of a manager reaching his shelf life but many not recognising it is Brian Little. A great footballer whose career was so badly affected by injury he started his managerial career as a permanent manager at Darlington. He did well there and Leicester came in for him. He did well there and "his club"  gave him the reins at Villa Park. Little started well but at some point, around the time Villa signed Stan Collymore, he just stopped being a good manager. What happens I don't know but it happens to virtually all successful managers; at some point they lose that gift and it never returns. What makes Little so relevant is that five clubs subsequently made him their manager but at only Hull was his tenure not a complete disaster. Knowing when a manager has "lost that magic it" is vital but most owners don't read the signs; and "it" can leave some managers in their early forties but others not till their late sixties.

Actually as I write this more and more examples that back up your point are occurring to me. The simple truth is it is not an exact science, but it's a fascinating one.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 14:11:01 »

Klopp is doing that right now. Just as he did at Dortmund. It’s uncanny how the 2 tenures replicate almost exactly.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 14:19:13 »

That Thor Preston fan wasn't the full ticket at all.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 14:21:40 »

Some managers fit clubs and some clubs fit managers.

Macari at Swindon vs Macari at Stoke and West Ham, Ardiles at Swindon vs Ardiles at Newcastle, Hoddle at Swindon vs Hoddle at Chelsea and Spurs.

Conversely

Colin Todd at Bolton vs Todd at Swindon, Dave Mackay at Derby vs Mackay at Swindon. Roy Evans at Liverpool vs Evans at Swindon.

Sometimes the club and players just click with a manager.

TBF With Wellens you could even say Wellens of 19/20 vs Wellens of 20/21.

Didn't Macari do alright at Stoke? They love him.

Ossie at Newcastle was shite though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 14:26:16 »

Klopp is doing that right now. Just as he did at Dortmund. It’s uncanny how the 2 tenures replicate almost exactly.

Holloway. Tisdale. (just putting it here to keep it League 2 real)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 14:28:14 »

That Thor Preston fan wasn't the full ticket at all.

He made me think of Bo Selecta, confirmed when he put his pic up  Smiley

https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=53991.msg1260083#msg1260083
« Last Edit: Friday, January 6, 2023, 14:42:45 by 4D » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:52:01 »

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/01/06/exclusive-quotes-david-artell-issues-come-get-me-call-to-swindon-town/

David Artell spoke exclusively to The Real EFL:

“I’m definitely interested in the Swindon job and I think how they want to play and my philosophy are a good match.”

“I know they’re going more down the data recruitment route which is not something I’m against”

“It’s the methodology behind the data that is key (and knowing what you’re after”

“and the way they want to play football is the way I want to play football”
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:54:32 »

Not against it
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:55:34 »

He's younger than he looks (42) he certainly fits the clubs criteria with added passion we haven't seen for a while.

Wiki
Artell has been fined and given touchline bans by the Football Association for his "expressive and passionate touchline behaviour".

So, give no fucks
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:59:25 »

Artell yes
Richardson yes
Manning probably yes

At least there's some palatable options that are feasible
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 19:02:45 »