Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 29209 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:30:37 »

Some managers fit clubs and some clubs fit managers.

Macari at Swindon vs Macari at Stoke and West Ham, Ardiles at Swindon vs Ardiles at Newcastle, Hoddle at Swindon vs Hoddle at Chelsea and Spurs.
Macari was a success at Stoke, certainly first time around. And Hoddle didn't have a bad record at Chelsea either, only leaving to take the England job.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:31:58 »

Nathan Jones showing for the second time how difficult it is stepping up to be boss of a big club (compared to Luton, anyway).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #197 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:35:26 »

Macari was a success at Stoke, certainly first time around. And Hoddle didn't have a bad record at Chelsea either, only leaving to take the England job.
Hoddle had a win % of just 33% at Chelsea, yes Lou did wlel first time round at Stoke but awful 2nd time and awful at Birmingham and Celtic and not great at Huddersfield too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:35:47 »

Nathan Jones showing for the second time how difficult it is stepping up to be boss of a big club (compared to Luton, anyway).

luton not exactly missing him either
Peter Venkman

« Reply #199 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:36:49 »

luton not exactly missing him either
Partly because he built a good squad there, seems out of his depth at bigger clubs though for sure.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:39:42 »

Ah, if you are going to be serious about this Rokerite...

I don't think the Cowley bros are a fit for what we are trying to do.

As far as I understand it, the current direction is to get in younger players who we believe we can develop with a few sold at the right time - to keep the lights on.

It appears we wish to be a passing, possession based team - based on comments from the sporting director - as this puts them into the shop window better. That's not to say I personally believe we aren't trying to get promoted as a priority over this.

We have gone more heavily, or at least more publicly, into stats based recruiting to try and identify the players to recruit. The manager having input from that list.

Would the Cowley bros buy into that?  My opinion is
- Its too restrictive and somewhat against the style they employed at other clubs.
- We've recruited for our possession based style (with varying degrees of success).
- We aren't going to have oodles of January budget to change things.

Now some counters to that
- I don't know if the recruitment model will be persisted
- I don't really know the "Cowley bros way" in any depth

I'm not saying they couldn't be successful. I'm not sure we are set up right now to utilise them.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #201 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:42:24 »

Ah, if you are going to be serious about this Rokerite...

I don't think the Cowley bros are a fit for what we are trying to do.

As far as I understand it, the current direction is to get in younger players who we believe we can develop with a few sold at the right time - to keep the lights on.

It appears we wish to be a passing, possession based team - based on comments from the sporting director - as this puts them into the shop window better. That's not to say I personally believe we aren't trying to get promoted as a priority over this.

We have gone more heavily, or at least more publicly, into stats based recruiting to try and identify the players to recruit. The manager having input from that list.

Would the Cowley bros buy into that?  My opinion is
- Its too restrictive and somewhat against the style they employed at other clubs.
- We've recruited for our possession based style (with varying degrees of success).
- We aren't going to have oodles of January budget to change things.

Now some counters to that
- I don't know if the recruitment model will be persisted
- I don't really know the "Cowley bros way" in any depth

I'm not saying they couldn't be successful. I'm not sure we are set up right now to utilise them.
100%.

At Pompey and Lincoln they bought big, strong, experienced players at the expense of younger players and prefer to play a non possession based direct style of football, everything our current set up is against.

Also all irrelevant anyway as we wouldn;t pay the sort of wages that the "team" would want I am certain, out of work or not.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 11:43:58 »

That’s good enough for me! Get them in!
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:04:11 »

Hoddle had a win % of just 33% at Chelsea, yes Lou did wlel first time round at Stoke but awful 2nd time and awful at Birmingham and Celtic and not great at Huddersfield too.
In his 2nd stint at Stoke Macari got them to the play-offs and then mid-table. Hardly awful. He also got Huddersfield to the play-offs. Even at Birmingham he wasn't awful. He left them to go to Stoke having won a cup with them and steadied them after a poor start to the season under their previous manager (Dave Mackay).
Hoddle, in his first season at Chelsea, got them to FA Cup final and in his second season to the semi final of the Cup Winners Cup as well as doing the double over double-winning Man United. He made them a strong cup team and attracted the likes of Gullit to the club. Far from being awful, you could argue he started the ball rolling towards their success not longer after he left. It's not all about win percentages....
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:07:42 »

FWIW I just had a scan of the next manager market on BV for Crawley and they have 2 managers miles ahead in the betting market -

Garner - 11/8
Scott Lindsey - 8/15

I wonder if Crawley are looking to get the band back together down in Sussex.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #205 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:12:04 »

FWIW I just had a scan of the next manager market on BV for Crawley and they have 2 managers miles ahead in the betting market -

Garner - 11/8
Scott Lindsey - 8/15

I wonder if Crawley are looking to get the band back together down in Sussex.
It has been suggested.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:12:32 »

Could be, you can understand Lindsey thinking 'stuff this manager lark, it's not for me' and head somewhere as an assistant.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:12:42 »

It has been suggested.

Would make the last game of the season even more spicy!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:13:51 »

It's not all about win percentages....
At the end of the day it actually is. Win games.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 12:14:05 »

Especially if former Crawley boss Evans joined us  Girl Giggle
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: