Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cobblers v Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 21979 times)
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 07:51:59 »

Caused a lot of our own problems last night. At 2-0 up with 30 mins left, we still insisted on trying to play our way out of their high press. Khan had it nicked off him a few times, Gladwin a couple. Just completely needless. Say what you want about philosophy but there’s a time and place for that. On another day we get punished.

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 08:21:32 »

Caused a lot of our own problems last night. At 2-0 up with 30 mins left, we still insisted on trying to play our way out of their high press. Khan had it nicked off him a few times, Gladwin a couple. Just completely needless. Say what you want about philosophy but there’s a time and place for that. On another day we get punished.

And then sat back trying to hold on to a 2-0 lead playing an extremely deep line. We aren't the team for that and we were lucky that they scored so late. As others have said, it wasn't a managerial masterclass that won it for us last night and I don't think that the win papers over any cracks.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 08:22:18 »

Or any authority on the pitch. Remember when Anthony Grant dominated the whole game. We need that this January. It’s so good to wake up to a win, but don’t let it paper over the obvious cracks. Some good individual performances, but there is no functioning “unit” there.

We don't have that midfield enforcer though do we. Khan is as close as we've got but got caught on the ball a lot yesterday. Reed just didn't look too bothered when he came on.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 10:00:00 »

Great evening last night. Couple of beers pre-match in the Walter Tull where I missed catching up with Ardiles only to bump into him at the food stall as we got into the ground. Hope you and your kids got back to Scotland safely.

We were not the better side last night and Northampton will be really disappointed to have not got at least a point. Brynn saving (almost) everything thrown at him, he's a superb keeper that I'd be trying to sign permanently. Lovely celebration from him after Shade's goal.

I was right behind Lavinier's strike and it was a thing of beauty, perfectly executed! I though Madonald and FBT were excellent at repelling the set pieces of the Cobblers but Macdonalds passing is not good, on more than one occasion he gave it away cheaply putting us in peril. FBT is another I'd be looking to sign permanently, potential future captain material in my eyes. Fair play to the side for digging in really deep and seeing out what is 3 excellent points at an automatic promotion chasing side. If we can get some consistency on board and have a solid January window we could see an exciting end to the season.

A couple of things to note off the field. Northampton printed their tickets with seats allocated and then allowed people to sit where they wanted, which was great, but due to numbers, larger groups who got into the ground later couldn't sit together. At Walsall last year on their tickets has unallocated seats which worked a treat. Perhaps Northampton weren't expecting our numbers. Oddly they turned the lights off in the stand and allowed people to stand in aisles. I saw absolutely no bother at all and it seemed to work in the end. Someone close to me decided to have a cigarette in the second half which didn't overly bother me, but he was stood in front of someone with bad asthma so probably not the best idea he's ever had!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DMC

« Reply #349 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 10:11:25 »

Apart from passing it around a lot we still have no discernible style or plan.
We do we just don't have the midfield to play it. Just not quick enough on the ball
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 11:01:21 »

Independent view

‘ In my opinion, Swindon had 3 players who performed superbly which helped them win the game
these being Angus Macdonald, Sol Brynn, and Marcel Lavinier. Macdonald put
won an impressive 7 out of 7 duels during the contest the most of any player on the pitch.
He amassed a total of 14 clearances and 4 total passes into the final third.

Marcel Lavinier will arguably capture the headlines for his stunning strike which had an XG of just
0.02, but he also had a sublime performance with the most tackles in the match and
a phenomenal work rate bombing up and down the left flank all game.

Lastly, Sol Brynn the on-loan Middlesborough goalkeeper might be creating a selection headache for Michael
Carrick when his loan expires in the summer after another immense display in the Swindon net. He made seven
saves from 1.93 expected goals faced. He was also key in eliminating the set piece threat from a very physical team in Northampton with two high claims in the ninety.’
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 11:43:12 »

We do we just don't have the midfield to play it. Just not quick enough on the ball
We really don't look like we have a plan, or can adapt to the personel that we have. 
I'd argue it's the front 3 not the midfielders, in particular the 2 wider ones as they are too static and dont know how to play in that position.   We don't make penetrative runs like Northampton did on a regular basis last night.

I counted 3 one on one's last night that they created, I can't think many that we've had all season.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 11:54:58 »

Austin on twitter

….. 🖊⏰
Laddy in Red

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 12:02:07 »

It was in stark contrast to see the plan implemented by Northampton versus the hope it works from our lot. Work needed to make this a decent team but there's a great opportunity to get promoted despite being shite. Fingers crossed for the transfer window.
DMC

« Reply #354 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 12:59:34 »

We really don't look like we have a plan, or can adapt to the personel that we have. 
I'd argue it's the front 3 not the midfielders, in particular the 2 wider ones as they are too static and dont know how to play in that position.   We don't make penetrative runs like Northampton did on a regular basis last night.

I counted 3 one on one's last night that they created, I can't think many that we've had all season.
All of that though is down to ability. I don't doubt for one minute with McKirdy Payne and Say Simpson in this team they would have us in the top 3 playing this style. I just think we have the wrong players to play the style he wants
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 13:12:18 »

All of that though is down to ability. I don't doubt for one minute with McKirdy Payne and Say Simpson in this team they would have us in the top 3 playing this style. I just think we have the wrong players to play the style he wants

It begs the question is Lindsey having a say on what players we sign or is it mainly down to spreadsheet data.

So, give no fucks
DMC

« Reply #356 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 13:38:22 »

Bit of both. Probably get's a say but these are the best he is being presented with
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 13:41:30 »

I wonder if he's happy with the imminent Austin signing.

So, give no fucks
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 13:50:47 »

Lindsey:
- Showed good character in how we defended
- Worked hard out of possession
- Didnt play well with the ball
- Resilient at the end
- Aware of physical threat
- Disappointed to concede
- Not many teams will come here and win
- Lavinier goal. Done a lot of work on the training ground to get him into those positions. Lindsey has been doing a lot of work with hime to get him to cut in onto his right foot and shoot
- Williams could have scored at the far post a couple of times
- Pleased for Shade as he's got goals in him
- Complete coincidence that it was the biggest team that SL could field. Normally would field smaller technical players against big teams
- FBT and MacDonald headed everything and cleared their lines
- Gladwin's work ethic off the ball was good
- Set piece defending: Only one scary one at 45 mins. Apart from that we defended well
- Pleasing to get a win
- Still not there with Austin, but almost there. He's been a big player throught his career. He can add to our fire power and help our young team.
- Lindsey said he'd had a bit of stick....and then the feed cut out.

Andrew Hawes has put the missing bit of the interview up on twitter. Basically SL says he doesn't understand the negativity. But he needs to..

1. 5th (and will be lower after others games in hand) isn't good enough for STFC in League 2. We had 10k at the game on boxing day. Top 3 is success, nothing else

2. SdM has built an unbalanced squad

3. SL and JD cannot create/coach any attacking cohesion 29 games in

Last night was good fun and showed plenty of spirit, but as all others have said it was a smash and grab that doesn't answer any of the underlying issues

One positive from the coaches this year though, is we aren't a soft touch from set pieces as we used to be. (Walsall game can be given a bit of a pass as first was unlucky and second FBT was off)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 13:54:17 »

I think all our current team is missing is talisman. Like you suggested a McKirdy and/or a Payne.

I think the defence is generally better. Conroy and Baudry had a fantastic last 10-12 games but before that we more error prone than our current centre backs and played themselves into trouble more often.

The midfield is very similar for the most part. A lot of sideways passing and ball retention. What our midfield doesn’t have (…or won’t do) is pick the ball up and drive forward - the role Payne played last season, he was the only midfielder who’d drive forward with it. As others have said I’d like to see Williams drops back into a midfield role and try and play the Payne role.

Upfront, it’s the movement, Davison for his lack of ability would also put a shift in and if nothing else have the defenders the run around. In the process probably pulling them out of position, occupying them and creating space for others. I get we aren’t playing to Jephcotts strengths but he seems like a defenders dream to mark. Then obviously Barry and McKirdy either side of him, exciting players who would run at players, could take players on and could get goals (…and get the crowd going to an extent)

A lot of people seem to not really rate this team but I genuinely think we aren’t far off. A McKirdy/Barry type to play left of the front 3 allowing Williams to drop back into midfield would probably just about do it (assuming Austin has signed and still has the ability to move and find pockets of space on the box)

…like this team lacks a last seasons McKirdy massively and I wonder how far in advance Lindsey knew McKirdy would be going? I mean if Lindsey thought McKirdy was staying - I can see why signing a replacement type wasn’t top of the to do list. A shocker, however if it was basically a given he would go in the summer window.

Lindsey still has some work to do admittedly. He’s far from a great manager and should have adapted more with what he has/hasn’t got in the squad.

We’re trying to play like Garner did last season and we are in 2/3rds of the pitch but we aren’t in the final 3rd because we aren’t driving forward enough. I generally think that’s our biggest issue and if we can find *that* player we’ll be well away…
« Last Edit: Friday, December 30, 2022, 13:56:58 by DiV » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: