Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Official World Cup 2022 Thread  (Read 69465 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 09:31:41 »

With the second round of fixtures complete, I think it gives a lot of context to England's uninspiring performance vs the US - only three sides (Brazil, France, Portugal) have two wins from two, and I think there are issues with all those sides. Spain look the best team so far, and yet dropped two points to Germany who got beaten by Japan who in turn were beaten by Costa Rica. It just seems that the fast turnarounds are causing some fairly unpredictable results, it'll be really interesting to see if the final round of fixtures sees the best teams really assert themselves or not.

As for today's games, Group A at 3pm - Ecuador vs Senegal is essentially winner goes through, loser goes out, with Netherlands playing Qatar meaning they really should top the group.

Then Group B at 7pm - on paper, almost an identical set up as Group A as Iran v US should be two relatively evenly matched sides going head to head for second. The Wales/England rivalry factor certainly adds a complication though. I'm not an England fan who dislikes the Welsh at all, I wish they could somehow progress along with us, but dispassionately, this isn't anything like the Wales team of four years ago who really could have given a good account of themselves. England should win comfortably, but it doesn't always work that way.

Looking even further ahead, let's assume we finish top of the group and avoid the Dutch (who haven't been that great themselves either) we face either Ecuador or Senegal. Based on what i've seen I think i'd rather play Senegal, I think Ecuador could be tricky. If we turn up then we 'should' be good enough to beat either side and progress into the 1/4 finals.

Thoughts?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 09:37:56 »

Looking even further ahead, let's assume we finish top of the group and avoid the Dutch (who haven't been that great themselves either) we face either Ecuador or Senegal. Based on what i've seen I think i'd rather play Senegal, I think Ecuador could be tricky. If we turn up then we 'should' be good enough to beat either side and progress into the 1/4 finals.

Thoughts?

Is Valencia fit? Ecuador* look a much poorer side without him on the pitch.

* I assume I am not the only one who has to say Ecuador in this style whenever I say it.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 09:45:30 »

Is Valencia fit? Ecuador* look a much poorer side without him on the pitch.

* I assume I am not the only one who has to say Ecuador in this style whenever I say it.

haha - you are not alone!

Enner Valencia is a real menace. I've read he has recovered from his injury but will be watching today and without wishing injuries on players I agree that he would be a big miss from that side.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 10:04:35 »

Thoughts?

In theory Ecuador or Senegal are beatable, but then it's brick wall territory with a probable run of France in the quarters, Germany/Portugal in the semis and Spain/Brazil in the final.

That Spain/Brazil quarter looks absolutely delicious.

Whatever happens, it's hard to see an easy route to the final. Which is how it should be!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 14:02:49 »

Jesus was it 24 years ago, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63788467
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 14:06:33 »

I am glad the game is on the beeb, and not the shit ITV. Cannot stand some of those pundits and co-commentators.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 15:17:24 »

I am glad the game is on the beeb, and not the shit ITV. Cannot stand some of those pundits and co-commentators.

Just Dixon and Matterface who are terrible, no? It's odd that ITV are using them as their A team when Champion/McCoist and Hutchinson/Townsend are much more enjoyable. Studio pundits I haven't seen much of.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 15:22:45 »

As it stands, the Netherlands win group A and Senegal will go through as runners-up.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 15:22:55 »

Prefer the BBC commentators but ITV have better pundits.

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 15:26:44 »

Just Dixon and Matterface who are terrible, no? It's odd that ITV are using them as their A team when Champion/McCoist and Hutchinson/Townsend are much more enjoyable. Studio pundits I haven't seen much of.

Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with that re your analysis of the commentators. I hate the buildup/punditry etc so turn on just in time for the anthems and then kick off and then go and find something to do for 20 minutes over half time.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 15:36:27 »

Won't be easy for England should they meet Senegal.
I had Senegal down as an outside bet to make good progress but that was before they lost Mané.

Their fans are great.
Slap a coat of red & white paint on 4D and the gang and maybe they could do a similar job in the Town End.

Andros Townsend has done a good job on co-comms so far.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 15:40:54 »

I had red and white face paint on at the Sunderland play off game, ended up blending in and I looked flushed/embarrassed  Embarrassed
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 15:43:40 »

I was wearing my "we are Ozzie's red & white army" T shirt😀

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 16:06:24 »

Ecuador and Senegal now 1-1

Edit - now Senegal 2-1.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 16:07:30 »

Ecuador and Senegal now 1-1

I went to the loo and missed two goals!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: