Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sutton United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 24614 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:24:02 »

Playing out is a risky strategy but there are benefits if it works.
Trouble is, not sure that it's a style suited for L2 CB's.

Clayton could yet morph into a lower league Nestor Lorenzo and start casually chipping it out wide to the full back or into midfield. Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:24:51 »

And look what happened after the Town End booing caused Brynn to kick long instead of playing it short....kicked it out of play twice in a row.

Without our goal being threatened, good on him.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:30:58 »

Quote from: Jimmy QuitMoaning
Both goals conceded were avoidable

so were 2 we scored
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:43:21 »

Let's worry about ourselves 😀

So, give no fucks
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:46:13 »

Playing out is a risky strategy but there are benefits if it works.
Trouble is, not sure that it's a style suited for L2 CB's.

Yet a lot of the promoted teams from L2 in the past few years have been promoted playing out from the back. It works, as long as it is well coached, which is where our problems may lie.
SpeakingFluentPeroni

« Reply #380 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:50:28 »

Great to see the way the players celebrated the winner as a squad and same at end of the game. Team spirit looks strong and I guess being unbeaten for so long helps with that.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:50:51 »

A lot of top teams don't play out from the back so maybe work on something different if it's not working.

So, give no fucks
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:58:21 »

A lot of top teams don't play out from the back so maybe work on something different if it's not working.
Of course, but we don't have the players set up to do anything different. With Jephcott and/or Wakeling up top, they're never gonna win the aerial battle from long kicks, nor do we have wingers/attackers behind them suited to press and win the ball back quickly.

Regardless of people's views of how we build up, the dogs abuse the players got for doing so from the townend was a disgrace. Literally on a hiding to nothing creating such a toxic atmosphere this early into a season.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 08:04:14 »

Not read back yet. What a strange game of football last night starting off with a golden opportunity for Jephcott well saved, followed by a hideously defended goal for Sutton where Will Randall was given the freedom of our box to pick his spot in the corner. Nice finish but we are susceptible to that ball pulled back. (See also P.Smyth Leyton Orient) We were on the ropes a little at the time and Sutton would have been disappointed not to have got at least another in that period where we were shakier than a shitting dog. Slowly we started to get into a rhythm and thanks to shockingly bad defending from our opponents we went from 1-0 down to 2-1 up in the blink of an eye. Nice finish by Jonny Williams mind you. That wasn't to be the end of the scoring though, long ball to Randall who to be fair to him picked out the corner from distance. I am not completely sure but it looked as though Brynn was slightly too far to the right of the goal?

Second half we huffed and puffed and eventually Sutton declared for a point. It looked like they had it but a good delivery into the box was neatly headed home by Wakeling. 3 massive points secured to stop the drought of draws. Unfortunately we still very much look like a work in progress. At times I thought we played some really good football 'through the thirds'. Williams, Shade and the excellent Gladwin I thought were directing proceedings nicely. Darcy had his moments but looked a little light weight at times. Reed, still not up to where he was last season but seemed to improve and had a big hand in the winning goal. Defensively we are a mess still, however it was positive to see Hutton slot in well after Lavinier was taken off injured.

I'm really still on the fence about how this season is going to go, we are still far from a cohesive smooth winning machine but there are signs that we can play good football, but unfortunately there are signs we are still stinking the place out. Jephcott badly needs a goal and we need to sort out the defence but the midfield is showing signs it can be lethal this season if Gladwin, Reed, Darcy, Khan, Williams et al hit their straps. Donny away next on paper is tough but their fans aren't overly happy with their manager so it's a good chance to get back to back wins on board.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 08:05:35 »

Top teams in this division or in football as a whole?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 08:07:53 »

Its kind of weird that a win just convinced me more that Lindsey isn't the man to lead us forward, but here we are. Sutton were honestly atrocious and it seems that is the criteria needed for us to win games this season.

I already knew we had ability going forward despite the lack of goals, its obvious. But we cannot defend for shit. Totally hopeless and Lindsey doesn't show even the slightest signs of sorting it out.  The phrase papering over the cracks springs to mind.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 08:11:06 »

Nice summary BO

would also like to add that in one or two occasions Hutton bombed on down the wing. I realised at that point we hadn't done much of that.

Maybe fresh legs late in the game was why things opened up for him. Would like to see Roberts in similar circumstances (though with lavinier proper crocked the wasn't the opportunity yesterday)
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 08:16:10 »

Finally a win, 3 pts and a 90th min winner feels good, who cares how it comes 😂. Thought Jephcott shoulda scored both chances he had. First goal from them fully avoidable as per usual, 7 players on other side of pitch and just 1 on the goal scored side tells you why we conceded. Nice finish from Williams for the second. Darcy creative but got bullied yday, criminal letting that ball bounce twice for their second, right back shoulda done better also. Thought midfield was good and worked well together, Reed getting back to his best just keeping play moving (brilliant feet for third goal build up). Lavenier decent and Williams a standout, gotta play both forwards together now, make it work.. Wakeling looks a top find.

I’m not sold on Lindsey at all, but telling him to go mid game I find a little odd, keep it to end of game at least, we was drawing the game, performance wasn’t even that bad. Hope he did give it back to the fans and more, next time I hope he does a mourinho and knee slides, more than entitled to give it after he takes it. Brynn had no choice but to kick it out/king with how toxic it was. Baffles me with persist playing out with McDonald, when we have Baudry who’s one of the best passers in league from defence.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 09:22:52 by MangoRed » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 09:17:31 »

Lavinier I thought had a mixed game. Some of his defending wasn't great.

But it's only his second league game. still finding feet
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #389 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 09:31:08 »

Some views from Sutton fans who seem convinced they had loads more fans there than the 85 announced, I think they are wrong though.

Some of the Swindon fans really aren't helping their team, getting on their case..

A bit frustrated too be honest! Another late goal conceded when we should of got a draw. Swindon were nothing special. The pluses were will Randall with two goals and joe kizzi for me, grate defender

Thought Swindon looked good with the ball first half but defensively awful. We could have scored a couple more. Eastmond also had a great chance early in the 2nd half. We conceded some bad goals and again small margins left us defeated on the road. But we can’t give goals away like we did and come away with points. Again they announced a silly away figure.

Came out of the blocks fast and should have scored more than one when Swindon netted their first followed quickly by their second.
Surprised Omar stayed on and then we get overrun in midfield Harry and Craig and everyone in the team working hard to try and get the ball. We get back into the game but you can only soak up pressure for so long and we conceded in added time yet again.

close game could have gone either way, Randall is our magic man, absolute quality. We probably sat back to much in the final 5-10mins looking happiest with the draw. Our defence looked unusually shaky, and it cost 2 goals, poor old Jack these things happen to keepers.

Well that was a bit frustrating. To be honest, Swindon were better than Crewe and peppered us for a while in the first half. That first half however contained not only some of the best football I've seen us play this season, but was really entertaining stuff.

Although at least 2 of the 3 goals we could do nothing about, for me the entire team changed with the triple subsitution. At that point the side seemed to lose direction

It was an entertaining game to watch and Johnny Williams was absolute quality.

Oh, and there was more than 85 of us there. They don't seem to count purchases on the day!

There was a definite sense of double déjà vu at the final whistle as once again we lose to Swindon and concede after the 90th minute.

Swindon are a decent side (if not perhaps quite the sum of their parts), and losing narrowly at the County Ground is no disgrace, but the manner of this defeat was disappointing. They take 11th place from us, though we only slip to 12th. Our next two league games are at home where results have been pretty good so far.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: