Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sutton United pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 24107 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 22:25:46 »

If we are going to have a shit season that's the way I would like us to play.

Was quite a decent viewing tbh. I see comments like Sutton are shit but it was quite the positive set up for an away side and they worked sol brynn quite a lot. Fantastic hit from randall 2nd goal.

I'd say first half Williams won us the match, 2nd half macdonald stopped us losing the match.

brynn is becoming a bit of the norm now with his outstanding saves. He's like Digby throwing himself to those top corners.

last season we very rarely won a game through our substitutions where as this season they are making a very notable difference.

Jefcott is a very clever striker and goals will easily come for him. Not quite sure how he didn't get on the scoresheet but I have no worries going forward.

Darcy is a very clever and tidy player, got caught out a couple of times taking too long and nearly cost us. His positive play outweighs the bad easily.

iv been very dismissive of Lindseys appointment more than of lindsey himself. You can tell he is raw but you can see how he's a good bloke and desperate to do well. It's much much easier to hate a Phil brown or a Sheridan than an honest guy doing his best. Let's hope we can build on this going forward.

The county ground perfectly observed 90 minutes of silence for the Queen tonight. that was the plan right?

Good post.

I especially like what you say about Lindsey.  I feel the fanbase should be giving him more encouragement in what is a new challenge for him and also a quite different squad from last year.  There seems to be a drift away from the Garnerball possession football that actually riled so many last season until the last few games.

Partly forced by the Town End vocally preventing last season's Conroy/Reed build ups from goalkicks, partly as a reaction to the rightly criticised powderpuff pissing about at Priestfield - or partly by Lindsey overseeing an evolution of style with his changing squad?

We all want out of L2 at almost any price.  But imo Lindsey deserves far more support and even respect than he seems to receive.  It's about time STFC started to be as ruthless and self interested as the likes of Garner and Wellens.  We need to be scouting and wooing a limited no. of managers.  Either because they have lower league experience that could be a positive fit (like Wellens) or perhaps, even better, for young, rising stars from the Academies or Non League (like Garner or Danny Cowley).  Starting now.

But Lindsey needs to do as well as possible meanwhile for however long. Sacking Lindsey in October and looking for a replacement then would be madness unless League survival is genuinely threatened.  There'll be zero interesting managers available then and, no, STFC, can't just go and wave cash and status at any manager having a good season elsewhere.

Just do you best, Lindsey and do it your way.  You're not Eddie Howe but with a little luck you can do a job for us.  Good luck!
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 22:34:36 »

The TE some right twats tonight and fair play for the DR turning on them.
Clueless and unbelievable they couldn’t see that Jephcott is not fully match fit.

A little unsettled in defence but some positives to take from that.
Much better moving forward, far more pace.
Gladwin outstanding and Williams a real shift.
Managed to thank Wardy before the game and wish him all the best, appeared appreciative.

A win is a win and on to Donny.

There's definitely components to work with, I just can't see Lindsey getting the best out of them. The side generally seems flat with the odd spark here or there and I'm sure better managers would get far more from this group, as ability wise, on a whole, , they seem more technically sound than last year's squad, but lack any real direction or hate to say - identity.

Play like that against better sides, even in this division, and we'll be punished more often than not and end up 17th.
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 22:43:26 »

There will be some in the TE devastated that we won tonight. Shocking “support”. As Duke mentioned good from the DR who sang “you don’t know what you’re doing” and “Town end what’s the score” Cheesy

3 points and into Saturday, up the bastard reds
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 22:47:56 »

Play like that against better sides, even in this division, and we'll be punished more often than not and end up 17th.

Stick this in the trivial things that annoy you thread.

I hate this phrase especially after a victory. Town usually play their best against the best and save their worst for the worst so it never makes any sense to me.

dogs

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 22:53:10 »

Stick this in the trivial things that annoy you thread.

I hate this phrase especially after a victory. Town usually play their best against the best and save their worst for the worst so it never makes any sense to me.

That's merely a perception - and even if accurate, arguably means we're not good enough to work out how to beat the poorer sides so will result in the same outcome of midtable mediocrity
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 00:07:44 »

The TE some right twats tonight and fair play for the DR turning on them.
Clueless and unbelievable they couldn’t see that Jephcott is not fully match fit.

A little unsettled in defence but some positives to take from that.
Much better moving forward, far more pace.
Gladwin outstanding and Williams a real shift.
Managed to thank Wardy before the game and wish him all the best, appeared appreciative.

A win is a win and on to Donny.

The DR couldn't turn a corner.  Heard nothing, again.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 00:11:54 »

There will be some in the TE devastated that we won tonight. Shocking “support”. As Duke mentioned good from the DR who sang “you don’t know what you’re doing” and “Town end what’s the score” Cheesy

3 points and into Saturday, up the bastard reds

The shocking "support" has always been the side stands. Silent again. The subs booing was muted and not just the TE. The main grumblings from the Town End was the ridiculous set up for our goal kick routine.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 00:14:05 by 4D » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 05:26:25 »

Entertained, particularly in the first half.

Maybe Lindsey has that prized commodity in a manager. Luck.
Wouldn't blame him for a silent fuck you to certain sections of the fans at the end.

Given a choice, it's probably better to watch attempts to play out from the back rather than the ball being consistently hoofed out of play by the keeper.
There was space to be had behind the press. Easier said than done to play that way in this league.

Not sure who it was but a couple of lovely pinpoint diagonal balls played in the first half. Long passing at its best.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 05:51:10 »

Re Hawes and getting some players wrong last night, he's off to the opticians this morning, as he knew something was up. His eyesight a bit blurry.

I think he's not normally that erratic and wants to get it sorted asap.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 06:34:45 »

The shocking "support" has always been the side stands. Silent again. The subs booing was muted and not just the TE. The main grumblings from the Town End was the ridiculous set up for our goal kick routine.
The subs booing was muted. The chanting of 'Scott Lindsey, you don't have a clue' when he'd just subbed off a player who was obviously not fully fit was loud, clear and coming from the TE. Think that's what's being referred to.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 06:37:28 »

The subs booing was muted. The chanting of 'Scott Lindsey, you don't have a clue' when he'd just subbed off a player who was obviously not fully fit was loud, clear and coming from the TE. Think that's what's being referred to.
Yep, obviously heard that, didn't join in mind.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 06:51:33 »

And look what happened after the Town End booing caused Brynn to kick long instead of playing it short....kicked it out of play twice in a row.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 06:55:32 »

to be fair Brynn should be able to kick straight, and trying to play short when the full backs are marked is stupid. I get the frustration at that.

But you have to be pretty thick not to realise jephcott isn't fully fit, and playing 90 risks injury.

Darcy was poor/weak second half to my eyes..

Town End were shit chanting what they did, when they did.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:03:10 »

Both goals conceded were avoidable

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 07:08:11 »

And look what happened after the Town End booing caused Brynn to kick long instead of playing it short....kicked it out of play twice in a row.
To be fair the alternative seemed to be playing out from the back and giving the ball away in dangerous positions. It went from one extreme to another and is just symptomatic of a lack of a plan at the back.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: