Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP Our Queen  (Read 12192 times)
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 17:26:11 »

Parkrun nationally may be going on but not in Chippenham.  Seems the town council have revoked the license for this weeks event.

They revoked every license in Chippenham until after the funeral which is harsh.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Barry Scott

« Reply #76 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 18:09:45 »

I really am out of sync, don't mean to be rude but I genuinely couldn't give a shit.

Same.

Could. Not. Give. A. Fuck.

Although do kind of understand how others do and don’t wish to demean others over it.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 18:56:01 »

This is the first time a monarch has died in the media (let alone social media!) age, and it has been interesting to see how its covered. It's pretty much wall to wall everywhere to the exclusion of all else, when there really isn't much else to say and, frankly, there are a few other enormous stories around.

I've quite liked reading some of the personal anecdotes and stories from people who met her, but the sheer weight of random corporate "tributes" is just weird. I simply don't see the need for my local shopping centre or baked bean brand of choice to send their condolences - these aren't real people with real emotions.

Have no problem with call-offs of games for operational policing reasons, or cancellation of any events where those involved simply don't feel up to performing. Generally though, I feel as far as possible normal life should go on and people should make their own decisions on what they do or do not want to do.

Policing of other people's emotional reactions is just weird.

Agreed.

if you want to mourn, mourn away. A very old woman has died - most people never met her. She was nice and did an amazing job. But stopping normal life for 60 million people is just nuts. The empire was over a long time ago.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 19:47:24 »

No inheritance tax, yikes

I come from a land down-under
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 20:58:43 »

I've been surprised at myself by how moved I've felt, tbh. Not really a monarchist; but she had been a constant presence for my whole life so it all just feels a bit...weird. Also feel that, whilst not perfect (who is) she was at heart a really decent person, which in world where many leaders are liars, cheats and bullies will be much missed.

I've quite liked reading some of the personal anecdotes and stories from people who met her, but the sheer weight of random corporate "tributes" is just weird. I simply don't see the need for my local shopping centre or baked bean brand of choice to send their condolences - these aren't real people with real emotions.

100% this though. The corporate statements are just bonkers. Wimpy and Ann Summers. WTF.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 23:35:06 »

How can we not miss someone who's been at the core of British life and culture since 1952? Many many many things have changed in that period, we're in a completely different epoch and era of mankind, but the queen has been a constant. Whether a republican or a royalist you cannot doubt her efforts and dare I say impact on Britain and the Commonwealth at large. Plus I would love to hear her opinion on some of the hundreds of politicians and leaders she met over the years.

What is most telling for me is the little stories, the ones of people who met the queen not at some grand event, but accidentally, by coincidence or, perhaps most importantly, not as some fervent monarchist. Every interaction with every person for 96 years has only been positive. A rare human being that.

All the corporate wank can fuck off. Unless you had the royal warrant to supply you had zero connection with the royals, let alone the queen. But it becomes a circle of "WHY HASNT CAMPELLS SOUP SAID ANYTHING THEY MUST HATE THE QUEEN?!?!?!11!"

The grand nonsense of live TV displaying and saying absolutely nothing other than mawkish sentiment can fuck off too, it's reached its crescendo with this. I couldn't give a shit about watching 6 hours of footage of a police officer in the rain outside some gates. Just tell me the news, not fill the air with dead space with nothing worthwhile to say. If anything, it just detracts from the solemnity and historic nature of the occasion.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, September 10, 2022, 07:36:02 »

Same.

Could. Not. Give. A. Fuck.

Although do kind of understand how others do and don’t wish to demean others over it.

Pretty much my feelings too, it’s not always easy to recognise history in the making but an event like this certainly does.
Mostly though I feel the end of the ‘constant’ effect that comes with the passing of someone so famous. Will and do miss ‘constant’ others more that have had a greater influence me than the Queen though. RIP all the same.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, September 10, 2022, 09:26:23 »

things that change with change of monarch

Coins, stamps, the national anthem and barristers business cards (QC is now KC)

must be loads

Perhaps anythi g with royal charter or showing a crown. A Kings crown is different to a Queens
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, September 10, 2022, 11:08:52 »

bank holiday approved. nice one jug ears

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62862225

the country would be at a standstill anyway
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, September 10, 2022, 12:57:48 »

Event professionals have no choice but to work.  As royal family ambivalent as I am someone has to organise things.  You never know I might get time and a half on the funeral day.

The joys of the freelance.

Never knowingly overstated.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, September 11, 2022, 14:48:46 »

So it's been a 6 hour journey (approx) from Balmoral to Edinburgh...how the hell have they managed to do that without a loo break? Genuine question...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, September 11, 2022, 14:57:30 »

At least Banzai weren't there this time!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1921494.stm
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, September 11, 2022, 15:35:14 »

Used to love Banzai.  My favourite was Mr Shake Hands Man
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, September 11, 2022, 16:01:27 »

So it's been a 6 hour journey (approx) from Balmoral to Edinburgh...how the hell have they managed to do that without a loo break? Genuine question...

They did stop around halfway for comfort break as well as a driving break otherwise they would have been criticised for driving too long without a break by some group!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, September 11, 2022, 16:13:31 »

They did stop around halfway for comfort break as well as a driving break otherwise they would have been criticised for driving too long without a break by some group!
Thanks...yeah good point re. the driving break....must have been in Tescos when that happened Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: