Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP Our Queen  (Read 12193 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 12:45:34 »

The Queen has died and the drama queen's pop up.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 12:57:20 »

Very sad, she reigned for so, so long so this is a big history moment.

I did get a bit fed up when Prince Phillip went ref the overkill in the Media and thought when the poor old Queen goes it will be ten times worse, rightfully so due to the importance , i suppose.

Just had some lunch and Radio 5 were covering in fine detail the new King travelling from Northolt into London...i switched it off.

Im sorry shes gone and God Save the King but i will be avoiding the news for a while.

Clems Army!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 12:59:31 »

Pretty much this ^
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:07:04 »

This is a getting bit silly, because of the Queens death you can no longer sign petitions on the government website.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:11:56 »

This is the first time a monarch has died in the media (let alone social media!) age, and it has been interesting to see how its covered. It's pretty much wall to wall everywhere to the exclusion of all else, when there really isn't much else to say and, frankly, there are a few other enormous stories around.

I've quite liked reading some of the personal anecdotes and stories from people who met her, but the sheer weight of random corporate "tributes" is just weird. I simply don't see the need for my local shopping centre or baked bean brand of choice to send their condolences - these aren't real people with real emotions.

Have no problem with call-offs of games for operational policing reasons, or cancellation of any events where those involved simply don't feel up to performing. Generally though, I feel as far as possible normal life should go on and people should make their own decisions on what they do or do not want to do.

Policing of other people's emotional reactions is just weird.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:12:38 »

They announced as part of the protocol of the mourning period that all political and comedy events/shows (which I guess includes online) will be suspended.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:27:01 »

This is the first time a monarch has died in the media (let alone social media!) age,

Not quite. but near enough.

3.2 million houses had TV at the time of The Queen's coronation. More than one TV would be unlikely.
Its now northword of 27 million, and I reckon that most houses have at least 2.

fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 14:38:14 »

Some folk will not agree but, the Queen worked tirelessly for all of her adult life to benefit the country and Commonwealth as best she could.

She didn't really care if you were for her or not. She worked for you.

She meant it when she signed off her letter Your Servant, Elizabeth R
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 15:31:20 »

I've always wondered where the line lies between blessed and cursed if you are a monarch.

You'll have top care in everything, more money than you need etc.

But little free time, no realistic prospect of retirement, you can't just nip to the pub/nip out anywhere. The press intrude on everything.

As my life is now, I wouldn't trade.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 15:35:33 »

I've always wondered where the line lies between blessed and cursed if you are a monarch.

You'll have top care in everything, more money than you need etc.

But little free time, no realistic prospect of retirement, you can't just nip to the pub/nip out anywhere. The press intrude on everything.

As my life is now, I wouldn't trade.

I think the sweet spot is to be a relatively minor royal where you get some of the money and patronage but can essentially live a normal, very privileged life. Being the actual monarch must be fairly close to being a (very well kept) zoo animal. Immense privilege in many ways, but far less self determination than most of us will ever have.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 15:41:56 »

Yeah, I'd go with that.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 16:11:34 »

They announced as part of the protocol of the mourning period that all political and comedy events/shows (which I guess includes online) will be suspended.

Saw that, not sure it explains this...

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 16:25:48 »

Sky Sports F1

Yeah an hour's buildup and analysis, cut back

Yeah we'll show the race

But we won't show Ted's notebook

Respect 🤷‍♂️
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 17:09:08 »

Tomorrows parkrun is going ahead, but volunteers aren’t allowed to clap or cheer

Make it make sense robbie

Things get better but they never get good
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 17:12:22 »

Parkrun nationally may be going on but not in Chippenham.  Seems the town council have revoked the license for this weeks event.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: