Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Carlisle United vs Swindon Town Match Day Thread  (Read 24503 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 10:01:53 »

This debate could turn into a big problem for the club, and you two are not going to fix it on here.  It's not just here but echoed with a lot of the STFC fanbase at the moment.  It's no different to the left/right argument in politics and all you are doing in going back and forth with each other is winding yourselves up - it's a big reason as to why I am posting less recently, my head can do without more of the polarised views at the moment.  It's exactly the same with SM at the moment, a lot of vitriol and angst about, and our football team that everybody cares about so much is the perfect platform and subject for all of this stuff to come out about.  Both sides believe they are right, are not willing to entertain the other point of view and eventually it turns nasty.

I see both sides of your argument, but you are both arguing from the extreme and are not able to take a step into each others point of view for a second.  That is fine, but as I said, you two going around in circles is only winding yourselves up - might be better to agree to disagree on this one, i see the same "debate" happening all over.

And by the way, you are both being condescending to either group on both sides of the arguement and each other, whether consiously or subconsiously Cheesy

Take a breath guys, watch the game tonight and either be more frustrated or (hopefully) elated that we see improvement.  There are another 40 odd matchday threads to come to get frustrated about, you don't have to win the debate in this one.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 10:13:37 »

I think I have stepped in to how I could be wrong about this season though. I've even said how I can see a route back from the glimmers of positivity I do see.

And reading back I see how some posts can come across as condescending. But like I said, its not intentional, its a reaction people going mental over valid criticism.

God I hope we fucking win tonight and its not the shit show I fear is coming, because if it is what I think it is and I'm getting told ITS FOUR GAMES then you need a fucking shake.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #527 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 10:18:10 »

I think we can all agree on a couple of things.

It is currently pretty shit.

Its not the worst its ever been by a hundred miles.

It could get better it could get worse.

Its early in the season and mistakes in signings and style have been made, lets hope in the next 5 or so games those mistakes are rectified.

Thats my take.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 10:25:18 »

Some mistakes have been made in signing, but some actually look pretty spot on in the few minutes they've shown.

The key though Scott, is you have to play them for things to get better. Its not going to get any better keeping them on the bench for 80 minutes.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 10:34:13 »

I think we can all agree on a couple of things.

It is currently pretty shit.

It could get better it could get worse.

Its early in the season and mistakes in signings and style have been made, lets hope in the next 5 or so games those mistakes are rectified.

Thats my take.

Some mistakes have been made in signing, but some actually look pretty spot on in the few minutes they've shown.

The key though Scott, is you have to play them for things to get better. Its not going to get any better keeping them on the bench for 80 minutes.

Both of these are spot on.

I do wonder with Darcy & Clayton in particular whether their fitness levels weren't quite right at the start of the season (didn't they both join part way through pre-season), but agree that we would be better placed starting them & taking them off when they show signs of fatigue.

Not aimed at either of you but the frustration is the reaction that this is the "Worst Ever" after a poor performance when that's clearly not the case.

digby

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 11:41:44 »

This is constantly going to go round in circles isn't it.  Saying "Stop crying for fuck sake and man up. Jheeaaaze" is pretty childish in itself.

There have been so may posts saying "it's clear" about all sorts of speculative thing that are most certainly not clear, yes that pisses me off, yet when things that are facts like me bringing up yesterday that we have paid for three players and have players on longer contracts than we have for ages is ignored completely, it's as if it doesn't suit what some people want to believe and has to be overlooked.  When anyone can actually demonstrate factually that things do actually stink I'll listen but as far as I've seen not one person has.

This has nothing to do with Power, this is to do with giving those at the club now a fair crack of the whip.  Am I underwhelmed at the moment?  Of course I am.  Was I underwhelmed with SL being announced after a long search?  Of course I was.  Have I been underwhelmed with appointments in the past that have gone on to be very good?  Absolutely I have.  Have I thought we have made good appointments on paper that turned out to be awful?  Again, absolutely.  Have all of those instances been true of payers we've signed?  Again, yes, of course.  All of these experiences have led me to decide that no matter what it will take a bit of time before it is evident whether things are good or bad  or somewhere in between.  I will not accept being told I'm a happy clapper or delusional by anybody who has made their mind up already, if anything it's those people who are unwilling to accept not everyone is going to think like them.

I haven't made my mind up either way as to whether things are good or not as, and this will always be the case, three games is simply way too early.  If that makes me delusional and a happy clapper in some peoples' eyes then so be it but I will argue the point. 

What I have seen is SL make marginal improvements since the very disappointing opening game, he made the right changes against Salford at HT and he not only went with a back 4 on Saturday but we noticeably played fewer balls backwards, this is obviously because we had more players ahead of the ball.  It was far from perfect but it was better. 

1st impressions count but some of my best friends are people that gave poor 1st impressions so I learned long ago that a lot of the time they're misleading.

I've never lived in Swindon so the TEF is really the only place for me talk STFC and, yes, seeing all this negativity bothers me as it seems to me to be unwarranted at such an early stage.  You're right, those words were wrong for me to say and I hold my hands up for that but there is always an undertone amongst football fans of wanting to be proved right, sometimes to the detriment of the club they support.  I was one of those that, ashamedly, secretively wanted to lose when Kingy lost his job (2nd time) so we could be rid of him.  If SL is indeed not good enough then we'll all be hoping he's removed and there will be, like it or not, several people who will delight in telling us they were right.

This !!
Great post, sums up how I feel !  Clap
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 11:58:45 »

I do wonder with Darcy & Clayton in particular whether their fitness levels weren't quite right at the start of the season (didn't they both join part way through pre-season), but agree that we would be better placed starting them & taking them off when they show signs of fatigue.

Clayton he seems to think has to put some weight on to be a fully fledged senior League Two CB and has had him hitting the gym.

I understand why that might be and obviously haven't seen him in training, but at the end of the day we are fucking abysmal defensively at the moment and he is a highly rated player. At some point you have to make the required changes.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 14:12:52 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman

possibly the worst league position after 3 games I can remember. unless PDC did it even worse.

But it's where you finish that counts. obviously
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 14:57:07 »

......and Manchester United are bottom and Liverpool 14th in the Premier.  It won't end like that, and nor will League 2.  This to Kinky Tom's post.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 15:02:41 »

possibly the worst league position after 3 games I can remember. unless PDC did it even worse.

Dicanio won his first game 3-0

Been a long time of course since we didn't win our opening game, but this is our worst start after 3 games points wise since 01/02 so 21 years.   We finished mid table in the old div2 - Ruddock's shorts and Willy Carson starred that season.

There were a couple of seasons in the naughties where we lost the first couple but won the third.

If we lose tonight then we looking at the Colin Todd season as the only comparison in "recent" memory
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 15:04:30 »

We were 19th in 1985 after 3 games, with one more point.  We were also on 3 points in 83 when we finished 17th - our worst ever season as a club in the Four Division era.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 15:19:49 »

......and Manchester United are bottom and Liverpool 14th in the Premier.  It won't end like that, and nor will League 2.  This to Kinky Tom's post.

You should read the reaction of some ManU "fans" though  this is mild on here.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 15:22:57 »

There might even be a few in attendance this evening😀

So, give no fucks
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 16:13:10 »

So what you could say is that we are the best Red Premier League side (WE WERE THERE ONCE OKAY) this season?

Excluding Arsenal.

Or any of the others.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 16:46:54 »

We were 21st after five games, with just the three points from the first game.

The difference was PDC signed a new team after that 😂
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: