Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 91   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2023-2024: they come and go  (Read 216308 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 21:04:07 »

The thing a number of posters have chosen to ignore is that we have been significantly disrupted by injury and illness in recent weeks - we have played a left back at centre half for the last month, and our best two midfielders Gladwin and Williams, one was at the World Cup and the other injured.
The squad is not as deep as some like to think - or choose to say in order to justify the ludicrous “Lindsey out” talk - and despite those challenges we are still 5th.
I agree we need more goal power, but don’t forget our striker options have also been affected by injury for long periods.
There is a tendency to overreact to every result - win or lose. If we stick with SL and add some quality and depth to the squad in January we will at least make the play offs.
My final point - to those who say “sack SL” - who would you appoint who is available and guaranteed to do a better job? Generally if a club is sacking a manager they have the replacement lined up. It is easy to say “sack him” but I haven’t seen anyone offer a viable alternative yet!

I think you make fair points with regards to the injuries having affected team selections, one I’ve made myself a few times.

However, personally feel a lot of our players are interchangeable and the tactics / game plan are / is the issue - no matter who we have available.

Take Mondays game. Which of our injured players would have changed that result from a defeat to win??
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 21:05:31 »

Like let’s say Jephcott is our best and main striker.
Would we have won Monday with him fully fit and playing?
Same argument but with Clayton and the defence.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 21:17:56 »

With Clayton back, would we have gone to a back 4 with BT left back? Would that have worked better.

Maybe. Probably wouldn't have changed it though it gives an option
DMC

« Reply #303 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 08:56:31 »

The thing a number of posters have chosen to ignore is that we have been significantly disrupted by injury and illness in recent weeks - we have played a left back at centre half for the last month, and our best two midfielders Gladwin and Williams, one was at the World Cup and the other injured.
The squad is not as deep as some like to think - or choose to say in order to justify the ludicrous “Lindsey out” talk - and despite those challenges we are still 5th.
I agree we need more goal power, but don’t forget our striker options have also been affected by injury for long periods.
There is a tendency to overreact to every result - win or lose. If we stick with SL and add some quality and depth to the squad in January we will at least make the play offs.
My final point - to those who say “sack SL” - who would you appoint who is available and guaranteed to do a better job? Generally if a club is sacking a manager they have the replacement lined up. It is easy to say “sack him” but I haven’t seen anyone offer a viable alternative yet!

I don't think people are ignoring it but on Monday watched a game yesterday where we had a right back at left whilst we had 2 left backs playing center half and in a number 8. The player who started left-back first game is now our right back and the left-back that day started upfront Monday, We then took off our lone striker for a 5ft wide striker. He had a full squad to choose from Monday position wise and still chose to shoe horn players in. He told us that Khan was unfroppable 3 games ago and leaves him unused on his return from injury. He is making some really odd decisions despite the illness and injury. Also, if there was illness as he says then more fool him not making the changes to the team
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 09:31:22 »

for a 5ft wide striker.

Bit harsh on RHM

Even fat boy Razor Ruddock was never 5ft wide!!
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 09:52:51 »

It's not an overreaction to a short term blip.

We are 5th only because we have played more games than everyone else.  By the time others catch up we will be 9th or 10th.

Our form is awful, no home win in 2 and a half months, 3 goals in 6 games is relegation fodder, not a team looking for promotion.

There are clear tactical deficiencies in the way we set up as others have described and we can't defend or score set pieces.   We don't counter attack, nearly always turning back, rarely get 1 on 1s with a striker in front of goal.   No-one runs ahead of the forwards from midfield, but we do get 6 stood in a static line up front occasionally which never works.   We've failed to score in nearly half our games and have had starting 11s at home with 6 defenders in it and  he's continually out thought by by other managers.

I could go on.   We started poorly looking like a lower mid table team, then scraped a few wins culminating in a cracking performance at mansfield but that has not been followed up so has to be considered a one off.

If he had tried things during games, been more pragmatic at times, or showed any sign of improving individuals or the collective I could forgive him, but we can't continue to trust a process that clearly isn't working.

In terms of saying that there aren't any replacements, that is a stupid comment,  there are so many out of work managers, coaches and recently retired pros who would jump at the job,  we're a big team in this league.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 09:55:04 »

…let’s not forget how few people were jumping at the chance to manager us in the summer.

That’s kinda how we got here.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:00:01 »

…let’s not forget how few people were jumping at the chance to manager us in the summer.

That’s kinda how we got here.
Thought there were many but only SL agreed with Sandro's brief and there may be a reason for that.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:03:26 »

Thought there were many but only SL agreed with Sandro's brief and there may be a reason for that.

Perhaps. It’s a theory.
If it’s true then sacking Lindsey now and looking for a replacement will still bring the same issues as the summer, no?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:09:51 »

On that basis, who are you bringing in to replace SL then?

Not saying he is doing well  but no point sacking him if there is no one better wh would realistically come in and take over, its not like we are fighting relegation and any change has a chance of working and us worth risking.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:10:32 »

Perhaps. It’s a theory.
If it’s true then sacking Lindsey now and looking for a replacement will still bring the same issues as the summer, no?
Or a lesson may have been learned and ideology adapted.

One things for sure we can't go on like this, would be a travesty to lose the 3-4 thousand extra fans since Clem arrived through boredom and lack of hope.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:16:01 »

Crawley part company with Etherington and assistant Simon Davies
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:18:28 by Batch » Logged
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:31:33 »

Crawley part company with Etherington and assistant Simon Davies

A month and no transfer window - harsh

Playef 4 lost 3 including hartlepool at home.  Only win was against us!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:34:49 »

And they started so well comfortably beating us!

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Thursday, December 29, 2022, 10:40:54 »

Let's not forget Andrew Crofts & Ryan Mason were rumoured to be who we wanted but wages got in the way.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 91   Go Up
Print
Jump to: