Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 91   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2023-2024: they come and go  (Read 216169 times)
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 00:25:14 »

Lindsey just has to go plain and simple

A Wellens type experienced manager would have us in the top 3 now- instead of the teams below us win their games in hand then we will be mid table which I think is the best we will finish under this management

If the ethos of the club is sell on players at a profit- it ain’t working as no player realistically currently would make us a good fee as none of them are at their best under this shit show of a management team
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 06:38:27 »

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Outletred
SL does sound like a likable type of guy.  A type of person you can trust and rely on
The type of guy who does not mind losing as long as he does not cause problems.
A character type who is not a football manager.
We were so unlucky not to get Wellens back.
Sorry Scott you need to go.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 11:20:15 »

The facebook page is a sight to behold; Lindsey has gone from "Super Scott, knowning what we need"  to a clown, a c*nt and useless within a couple of games.
I understand people feel the need to criticise a manager but the unproportional reactions and personal insults are really rather stupid, and extremely childish.

I come from a land down-under
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 11:24:11 »

The facebook page is a sight to behold; Lindsey has gone from "Super Scott, knowning what we need"  to a clown, a c*nt and useless within a couple of games.
I understand people feel the need to criticise a manager but the unproportional reactions and personal insults are really rather stupid, and extremely childish.

Then they give out suggestions like Holloway, Tisdale and Warnock to replace him. Makes my eyes bleed
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 11:29:47 »

Scott is what everyone knows he is, a good coach. Not a Head Coach or Manager.

Which comes back to Sandros extensive search and review that saw Lyndsey get the job without even being interviewed!
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 11:53:31 »

Whilst the jury is out on Lindsey and performances/results need to improve, is he doing any worse than the journeyman managers we had in recent years like Flitcroft, Phil Brown or Sheridan?

As for a Wellens type manager. Wellens was unproven when he came here with the relegation, in difficult circumstances, at Oldham. Getting those one or two key players in made all the difference with Doyle and Grant.

Not sure he is going anywhere quickly and the run of poor home performances mirrored what happened under Garner last season. It might need something to click like Garner got the 5-2 vs Northampton last year and the feel good around the City game
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 12:05:20 »

Unlike the 5-2 at Mansfield only a short while ago
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 12:57:00 »

The 5-2 on NYD last season did get a feel good factor going again after a run of 1 win in 5 at home and the Stevenage 0-0.

Then Garner followed it up with draws at home to Rovers and Crawley and losing to Exeter.

Maybe that feel good factor didn't last long but Garner picked up enough away wins to keep the pressure off.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 14:15:46 »

We could beat good teams last season, but trip up against mediocre teams - which suggested quality, but not consistency

Our form against the top half so far this season is poor, which is why equivalent points doesn’t feel the same year on year. It’s not looked like a side capable of really challenging with the others at the top of this division

Things get better but they never get good
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 14:20:33 »

To evidence - after 23 games last season, we’d won 7 out of 11 vs top half teams. This time round it’s twice

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 14:50:37 »

Lindsey just has to go plain and simple

A Wellens type experienced manager would have us in the top 3 now- instead of the teams below us win their games in hand then we will be mid table which I think is the best we will finish under this management

If the ethos of the club is sell on players at a profit- it ain’t working as no player realistically currently would make us a good fee as none of them are at their best under this shit show of a management team

There is no way this squad is a top 3 capable squad, certainly not a current season one anyway.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 15:07:16 »

I think I’m right on this.

Both Crawley and Crewe have lost every game since beating us.

That puts a bit of perspective on how horrendously awful we are at times.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 15:19:19 »

Sorry, this is a bit of a statto post, but I have far too much time on my hands today, and started looking at the pretty impressive array of statistics on WhoScored to try and work out what someone (like say, our current hierarchy) who was statistically inclined would make of our season to date.

The interesting thing that stands out to me is how similar we are on almost all of the metrics to Leyton Orient. Unfortunately, the metrics where we differ are points (17 behind), goals scored (9 behind) and goals conceded (11 more), all of which are fairly crucial.

On the next tier down though, we're almost identical - STFC are second in the league for average possession, pass completion % and second bottom for tackles made per game. In all three cases, the teams either side of us are Salford (10th) and Leyton Orient (1st). When comparing to Orient, our passing style is almost identical (both 81% short passes, compare to Stevenage on 69%). Orient have even more of the play in the middle third of the pitch than we do (although both way above the divisional average).

Think someone posted this a few days ago - https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/league-two-stats-2022-23/ and it's a super interesting page if anyone is a bit of a statto. It generally tells the same story - Salford, Orient and ourselves are by a distance the most possession based sides in the division. One of those sides is performing much better than the other two. Maybe Richie Wellens is good at this. Or maybe he's just lucky, not that the difference really matters!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 15:33:19 »

I am not saying Wellens is a great Manager, but maybe he has a better approach in delivering on those stats.  BY an large I seem to remember him shunning the youth/reserves to a degree.  He did sign younger players at times, but ones who could deliver now.  He didn't seem that worried about developing players.  His approach was to do well now, not worry about 5 years time.  I am not sure he'd fit with our overall philosophy, but I reckon he'd have pulled together a more coherent squad for THIS season.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 20:49:19 »

The thing a number of posters have chosen to ignore is that we have been significantly disrupted by injury and illness in recent weeks - we have played a left back at centre half for the last month, and our best two midfielders Gladwin and Williams, one was at the World Cup and the other injured.
The squad is not as deep as some like to think - or choose to say in order to justify the ludicrous “Lindsey out” talk - and despite those challenges we are still 5th.
I agree we need more goal power, but don’t forget our striker options have also been affected by injury for long periods.
There is a tendency to overreact to every result - win or lose. If we stick with SL and add some quality and depth to the squad in January we will at least make the play offs.
My final point - to those who say “sack SL” - who would you appoint who is available and guaranteed to do a better job? Generally if a club is sacking a manager they have the replacement lined up. It is easy to say “sack him” but I haven’t seen anyone offer a viable alternative yet!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 91   Go Up
Print
Jump to: