Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 37   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Lindsey- New Manager thread  (Read 66835 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 09:03:40 »

We definitely need a defensive coach. The way we concede goals was pathetic last season and it was pathetic on Saturday. Hopefully 'Mad Gav' Gunning can help sort them out the back. Another body that can play as well if we have a total disaster with injuries and suspensions. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 14:48:11 »

We definitely need a defensive coach. The way we concede goals was pathetic last season and it was pathetic on Saturday. Hopefully 'Mad Gav' Gunning can help sort them out the back. Another body that can play as well if we have a total disaster with injuries and suspensions. 

Lindsey was the defensive coach last season
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 14:56:09 »

Lindsey was the defensive coach last season

Which is why we need one!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 11:14:51 »

Which is why we need one!

Agreed, just find it a bit odd the lad that has been signed, young age for a coach and no coaching experience elsewhere.
I expected someone older, more experienced, I know everyone has to start somewhere if they want to get into coaching, but to go from playing last season, to intending to play this season,  then into a defensive coaching role this season with the chance of playing (is he good enough for this level ?).

Time will tell if he manages to tighten up the defensive side of our game.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 11:16:56 »

Someone like Steve Bould would have been good!

So, give no fucks
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 11:50:13 »

Possibly SL knew him previously at FGR.
Also he would not be there to take over should SL be moved on.
Just seems a no win appointment except if he is there as an additional player if required
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 11:50:44 »

Agreed, just find it a bit odd the lad that has been signed, young age for a coach and no coaching experience elsewhere.
I expected someone older, more experienced, I know everyone has to start somewhere if they want to get into coaching, but to go from playing last season, to intending to play this season,  then into a defensive coaching role this season with the chance of playing (is he good enough for this level ?).

Time will tell if he manages to tighten up the defensive side of our game.

It does seem like Lindsey has gone into his little black book with this one. They were together at FGR so clearly he trusts him. But I think you have made good points re the experience. Obviously Bamba was supposed to be that guy (again not hugely experienced as a coach) but we've had to make do with Mad Gav. He has a lot of work to do!

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 15:31:31 »

We are now 4 games in as well as 1 league cup match without any victories. I've always said I would give Scott Lindsey all of August before making my mind up as to how this season is going to go. The early signs overall are not great, pre-season didn't seem to be used as much of a bonding exercise for the existing and the 13 new squad members and instead we saw him adapt a technique of playing some pre-season matches with the players fatigued. Genius or just clueless?

He said that we would play 'aggressive attacking football through the thirds' which on paper sounds great. I actually did see some evidence of this against Harrogate but there were so many misplaced passes after a decent first 25 minutes or so I think he abandoned this concept which is why we seem to look like a team so devoid of any tactical nous game after game. I haven't seen the last 3 games so can only go by comments on here really but it still sounds like SL hasn't decided on his favourite line-up, formation or even a style of play. Perhaps that's unfair given the shortish pre-season and when the new players were brought in that they haven't had chance to 'click' yet and this is going to take more time.

I'm encouraged and discouraged at the same time that our keeper is picking up man of the match awards, showing he is both competent, yet overworked. Angus seems to be still getting up to speed and with a couple of solid showings from Clayton a badly needed solid partnership at the back needs to be formed. The full backs sounds an issue, Hutton on paper sounded like a great signing but has flopped so far. Also a bit worrying that he was signed to be played in the 3-5-2 formation that Lindsey has now seemingly sacked off and he's hopeless in a back 4. Barrow fans did say he was crap defensively and it's being proved they are right. The midfield is another problem, Reed just isn't working very well and I'm worried we might never see Jonny Williams ever hit his real ability. Positive that Gladwin appears to have shown improvements and that Khan and Darcy look handy. Up front Harry has his goal that will hopefully kick start him and Wakeling has started well, a goal and an assist in his last 2 games.

Saturday is our 5th league game against the side rock bottom with their fans wanting their manager out. It's the perfect time for SL to fire up whatever side he plays and get 3 points to get the season up and running. I also read that on the touchline there are 4 voices on our bench shouting at the players? This does seem counter-intuitive and probably needs to be stopped. I get that passions are running high but the players need coherence. If we lose, I think questions really need to be asked whether SL is the right man for the role, perhaps he's always destined to be a number 2. I hope it works out but he has to put his stamp on things before the season peters out into unforgettable territory. We do have time to recruit but an already bloated squad isn't allowing a huge amount of wriggle room.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 15:33:53 by Bob's Orange » Logged

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 21:42:42 »

We dont win saturday and thats it for me im afraid.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 00:57:31 »

I’m sure that Clem’s patience isn’t a bottomless pit.

By the end of next month Lindsey will be history if things don’t change.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 01:30:42 »

Malpas listed until mid November. I think Lindsey will be afforded similar.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 07:15:06 »

Malpas listed until mid November. I think Lindsey will be afforded similar.
Malpas had 5 games by end of August including 2 league wins and a narrow defeat to QPR in the cup.  If we end up with no wins in 6 then it's on a different level of shiteness.

Given that the goal is promotion and players don't get sold for a profit if they are playing crap I can't see how it can be allowed to continue for another 3 months.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 07:22:10 by Pookemon » Logged
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 08:47:15 »

Yeah if he does last to November it best be because of a big upturn in form and not us stuttering along in midtable to bottom half.
He gets 10 games for me to show we are moving in the right direction,  he's quickly dropped the back 3 so that's a start, now over the remaining 6 league games I want to see an actual style to our play appearing and a couple of wins.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 10:01:16 »

Just bear in mind as well that this season started earlier than the Malpas season, so Nov might turn into Oct

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 10:04:22 »

Just bear in mind as well that this season started earlier than the Malpas season, so Nov might turn into Oct

Wasn't that early really - just a few days and 1 game.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 37   Go Up
Print
Jump to: