Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 84   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions for the Advisory Board  (Read 141222 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 10:47:07 »

Keeping the clock is imperative. Keeping the flood lights as they are would be nice, but might not be practical with the new Town End stand with the hotel and offices and everything in.

Would be a bit odd, but would keeping two up the other end and then having lights on the top of the new stand even work or would that make for uneven lighting?

Can't see them getting shot of the clock, and it can be made much more of a feature that at the Emirates as obviously the revised CG will be so much smaller.

WRT floodlights whilst they are a great old feature I imagine that they are a pain  in the arse to maintain and actually quite the liability so whilst I would imagine its no doubt the case that they (or at least a couple) could be kept once the TE is done it will be whether its viable to do so, I would imagine in the medium term it would probably be cheaper to replace those at the bank end with those single column ones you see at many newer small grounds which seem less of a complicated structure than lattice work pylons like we have.

I've never managed to find an image of what was eventually approved on the bank end to get an idea of its height or suitability for lighting, but anything can be done with money.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 10:51:16 »

I've seen drawings of an exact copy of the DRS for the bank previously, shorter obviously, but the exact same design. not sure if it was actually ever approved.

Deepdale style floodlights would be a decent compromise.

New Town End must be single tiered IMO.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 11:07:40 »

I've seen drawings of an exact copy of the DRS for the bank previously, shorter obviously, but the exact same design. not sure if it was actually ever approved.

Deepdale style floodlights would be a decent compromise.

New Town End must be single tiered IMO.

I know that whatever was finally approved was approved about the same time as the DRS so it may be the case that they are similar (and if that's the case the club may as well go down that route again as the precedent has been set, just a pity no one was savvy enough to make a technical start and implement it).

Despite having been there a fair few times I had no recollection of the Deepdale floodlights, after googling, their design and siting seems more to do with the roof design employed within the whole ground rather than any specific design decision, as our place, at best, is going to be a bit of a hotchpotch in the medium term probably not really an option, albeit they look very nice.   
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 11:16:05 »

Are we knocking and rebuilding the bank or just putting a roof on it?

Putting a roof the current bank seems a big pointless with the amount of facilities that need an upgrade and the state of things in the corner by the DRS.

Something basic like the away end at Adams Park would work and shouldn't break the bank, no pun intended.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 11:30:23 »

Might be making this up but I’m sure I read somewhere the budget for the Bank was only £1m. That means a roof and general tarting up.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 11:40:34 »

I think it was seen as £1m and more like £2m now, unless I'm misremembering.

Would a stand as basic as the example at Adams Park cost more than that?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 12:07:15 »

It would have to an all seater whatever it is. A new build is, I think, around £3000 per seat. So a 5000 seater would be £15m.

Seats already in the Bank so a roof and new facilities would see something like the away end at Fratton Park
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 12:22:05 »

The issue with building a roof over the existing bank is what you are going to found the thing on, historic football terraces are basically made ground which is inherently unstable for building anything on and normally means a lot of expense getting the foundation down to a suitable level to actually found anything on, in the case above whilst I don't doubt the structure would be fairly light, it would also need a fuck load of foundation to stop it being badly affected by the wind, especially in a ground with a built in wind tunnel like our place.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 12:37:24 »

It would have to an all seater whatever it is. A new build is, I think, around £3000 per seat. So a 5000 seater would be £15m.

Seats already in the Bank so a roof and new facilities would see something like the away end at Fratton Park

Makes sense. The main cost will be too facilities I expect and sorting out the absolute shit pit in the corner dear the DRS. Could facilities go around the back as well?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #579 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 12:44:58 »

That, plus a tidy up / new toilets and a food kiosk is all the bank really needs at the moment
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:14:50 »

Might be making this up but I’m sure I read somewhere the budget for the Bank was only £1m. That means a roof and general tarting up.

I think as part of the Trust's Joint Venture arrangement we have to have started (not sure if this is got planning permission or completed the work or not) a project for at least £1 million quid within 3 years or the Council can buy the ground back.

I suspect that's where the £1 million quid figure came from and was seen as an 'easy fix' that would meet these requirements.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
joeydubya

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 13:23:25 »

I think it was seen as £1m and more like £2m now, unless I'm misremembering.

Would a stand as basic as the example at Adams Park cost more than that?

Would work for me - good size and cover, and then you can put the food concession and toilets in a separate building in the corner like they do- or even use modular buildings for the interim
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:15:35 »

The issue with building a roof over the existing bank is what you are going to found the thing on, historic football terraces are basically made ground which is inherently unstable for building anything on and normally means a lot of expense getting the foundation down to a suitable level to actually found anything on, in the case above whilst I don't doubt the structure would be fairly light, it would also need a fuck load of foundation to stop it being badly affected by the wind, especially in a ground with a built in wind tunnel like our place.

I think you're right. The bank is exactly that. A bank of earth with the steps and seating set into it, rather than a cast reinforced concrete form supported on piles like the DRS.

I'm not sure if there's a practical design option to just "bung a roof on it" or how rational an investment it would be. There's not much space at the back to build the structures required for a cantilevered roof and if you had traditional pillars then the span you'd need to clear the bank itself at either end would probably need a central stantion and who wants to build something with one of those in the 21st century.

..never go back.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:17:25 »

As long as there is something for Spurs fans to torch during their next visit!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 14:26:15 »

I think you're right. The bank is exactly that. A bank of earth with the steps and seating set into it, rather than a cast reinforced concrete form supported on piles like the DRS.

I'm not sure if there's a practical design option to just "bung a roof on it" or how rational an investment it would be. There's not much space at the back to build the structures required for a cantilevered roof and if you had traditional pillars then the span you'd need to clear the bank itself at either end would probably need a central stantion and who wants to build something with one of those in the 21st century.

Think pillars would be the only option for putting a roof on it and new facilities, like Portsmouth.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 84   Go Up
Print
Jump to: