Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 84   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions for the Advisory Board  (Read 141249 times)
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 13:33:16 »

Does anybody know of any Pakistani footballers who've made it professional? Anywhere in the world? I can't find one.

If this is all being done with good intentions, we obviously think there's kids over there with talent that don't get the opportunity to be coached and given an opportunity.

But with Karachi being the biggest city in Pakistan, surely if this had any legs, a much bigger club than us would already be all over this?

Even IF we are onto something here, how long until we reap the rewards? 4 or 5 years? why are we doing this now when we can't even bring a football league calibre player off our bench.

Seems dodgy to me. Not a fan so far.
It’s very odd how few Pakistani players or those from other countries in South Asia/Middle East have made it anywhere near the upper echelons of the game. In all British sport, in fact. Amir Khan is the only British Asian I can think of who became prominent (outside of cricket) from the top of my head.

Almost forgot our very own Iraqi Pirlo for a second then.

Talking of the Iraqi Pirlo, I found this on YouTube. 2:00 is one of my very favourite Swindon goals ever. On his day, the guy was something else.

« Last Edit: Friday, June 3, 2022, 13:41:51 by Qunk » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 13:42:53 »

I know what you mean but I don’t think he came across TOO awfully. His ‘you understand magic wand?’ quip was definitely rather cringe.

DO. YOU. SPEAKAH. DA. ENGLISH?
Yes, that was one of the things I was on about, but I also didn't like some of the words.

It was very 'American' in a way. Talking up 'home' and how good things are back here, while talking down facilities.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 13:45:53 »

Yes, that was one of the things I was on about, but I also didn't like some of the words.

It was very 'American' in a way. Talking up 'home' and how good things are back here, while talking down facilities.

I’ve rewatched it and must now take back my earlier comment. He came across like a complete cunt
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 15:03:10 »

Do not suggest anything that goes against the club, nothing negative or you will get shouted down, you cannot say anything against clem or zavi at all

this is opening the top of a can of worms, the trust need to be asking many of these questions mentioned on this and other posts, not saying clem and angus are part of any bad things but the rest are fair game

not anti clem at all but definately zavi has many questions that need answering

also why is all this happening now? surely its a bit ambitious for a club recently under new ownership making links with a country that has no footballing heritage? its all a bit weird, the arrogance of zavi is upsetting

Decent post and of course where is Mr Standing in all of this?
Season over and going to wait and see the outcomes rather than speculate. Will be interesting to see the calibre of Manager and players we are going in for.
Equally who is staying on the terms offered.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 15:26:25 »

If it was just Alex Pike there then I don't think there would be anywhere near as much noise about this.  
Alex Pike is just doing his job to the best of his ability, came across fine.

But regardless, how people come across is surely not the biggest point here
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 15:38:28 »

as a paying trust and OSC member id hope these things are being questioned...'ive heard ZA is funding it' doesnt cut it for me... black and white are the club funding anything at all here, yes or no would be good to clear up... presumably AP works for the club so expenses aside, the time hes spending out there on this project is time the club is losing out on his services in Wiltshire and at a cost to the club.

if the club are fully or part funding it, then hounding fans for refunds and a 400% suggested increase in certain concession pricing sits even more uncomfortably than it already did for me.

its fine to want Clem and Co to be the real deal, whilst also asking probing questions given everything weve been through over the years... after all if there is nothing to hide then theres no such thing as an awkward question. the narrative that anyone questioning the ownership is a troublemaker that is developing is dangerous IMO.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:08:26 »

Does anybody know of any Pakistani footballers who've made it professional? Anywhere in the world? I can't find one.

If this is all being done with good intentions, we obviously think there's kids over there with talent that don't get the opportunity to be coached and given an opportunity.

But with Karachi being the biggest city in Pakistan, surely if this had any legs, a much bigger club than us would already be all over this?

Even IF we are onto something here, how long until we reap the rewards? 4 or 5 years? why are we doing this now when we can't even bring a football league calibre player off our bench.

Seems dodgy to me. Not a fan so far.

Zesh Rehman, British Pakistani defender from the mid 00s made a decent career for himself. Not many, for sure.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:12:47 »

Otis Khan as well, done ok in L1 & L2.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:18:41 »

Alex Pike is just doing his job to the best of his ability, came across fine.

But regardless, how people come across is surely not the biggest point here

That's not quite what I meant.     Zav comes across as a bit dodge and his background rightly makes everyone sceptical of anything he may be involved with.  The fact he's fairly unlikeable and has a big gob adds to that.

If he wasn't involved and it was led by the scouting and coaching team then we may all just see it as a bit of a punt.  Still question the costs, priority etc but not the intentions.

But he is so everyone's backside is twitching.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:22:19 by Pookemon » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:45:56 »

oh I see

I think I'd still question the timing, but yeah I guess the 'something fishy' aspect would be largely gone.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:49:35 »

Otis Khan as well, done ok in L1 & L2.

British Indian of course but Malvind Singh-Benning from Port Vale is doing pretty well.

Edit: And yep, Zav, Xav (whatever) comes across as a right cunt. On a par with the Pashunn man. Stinks more than unflushed longdrop!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:50:13 »

I think the Austin thing needs a full explanation now as there’s so much conjecture and hearsay, my questions are:

1. He’s been around for he club for years so what was his role in the Power years?
2. Does he have an invested interest in the club or can it it be categorically confirmed he has no financial interest in the club?
3. We were told Austin was going through the fit and proper persons test but it has been radio silent on that since, has he passed or failed? If he has failed then the question needs to be asked is it appropriate he is involved in the club?
4. Can the Karachi thing be fully explained, Austin says himself he’s only been to Pakistan a handful of times so how has it come about, it seems odd if he has no real links to the country. How will it will benefit the club? How it is being paid for? How will it get around work permits and actually allow any players to play for the club?
5. Finally can the relationship with Adam Hart be explained. It goes beyond Mcfarlane Training Systems as Austin & Hart were business partners well before Mcfarlane were involved in the club and Clem had ownership. Can they understand why it looks iffy on the face of it having 2 convicted criminals, having been guilty of similar offences now involved with the club.

Can the Trust not release their due diligence research on Austin?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 16:57:06 »

And the fact Pakistan is quite the route for some other "grade" of quality too...

Really didn't want to go down that route and get vilified on here but whilst people can change and do good, can a leopard (whilst holidaying on business in Karachi) really change it's spots?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 17:04:13 »

A different bag but what happened to the Glen Hoddle Academy in Spain. Is it still going and have there been any success stories where players have had careers at English clubs.

So, give no fucks
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, June 3, 2022, 17:10:24 »

A different bag but what happened to the Glen Hoddle Academy in Spain. Is it still going and have there been any success stories where players have had careers at English clubs.
Couldn't work with English Clubs as it was third party ownership like the Tevez situation (which he said in his book) All over after being told that.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 84   Go Up
Print
Jump to: