Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pre-season matches 22-23  (Read 76538 times)
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 11:25:49 »

It was very effective away from home.

We went to FGR and beat them. We pissed on Rovers at the mem. Beat vale, Sutton etc.

At home I agree we didn't really get it going, which is why you need to be flexible.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 11:34:45 »

It was very effective away from home.

We went to FGR and beat them. We pissed on Rovers at the mem. Beat vale, Sutton etc.

At home I agree we didn't really get it going, which is why you need to be flexible.
Will have to agree to disagree, I don’t think it was a back 3 that was effective in those games more that the opposition allowed us possession and we could therefore dominate. Ultimately 2 things really cost us last season, our reliance on one striker and our defence which other than playing as a flat back 4 with Baudry in it. Only 3 of our 13 clean sheets came when we played with a back 3, that’s a startling stat.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 12:02:26 »

Will have to agree to disagree, I don’t think it was a back 3 that was effective in those games more that the opposition allowed us possession and we could therefore dominate. Ultimately 2 things really cost us last season, our reliance on one striker and our defence which other than playing as a flat back 4 with Baudry in it. Only 3 of our 13 clean sheets came when we played with a back 3, that’s a startling stat.

So it's okay to credit the 433 when we win

But when we win with 352 it's because the other team let us play?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 12:35:19 »

So it's okay to credit the 433 when we win

But when we win with 352 it's because the other team let us play?

Like I said the stats are starling only 3 of of 13 clean sheets coming with a back 3 tells a story considering we played half of the season with a back 3! Second half of the season other than against Vale we were awful every time we tried a back 3 notably in the Mansfield, Tranmere and Exeter games.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 13:17:22 »

Like I said the stats are starling only 3 of of 13 clean sheets coming with a back 3 tells a story considering we played half of the season with a back 3! Second half of the season other than against Vale we were awful every time we tried a back 3 notably in the Mansfield, Tranmere and Exeter games.

I understand the point you're trying to make but you're cherry picking certain games to give your argument more weight.

352 became much less effective once Crichlow was recalled because we lost that left footed centre back. Also, Cooper got crocked pretty early so we were left with no choice really to play 433.

Were we more exciting to watch with 433? yes! but I also felt we had less control in games and it became more of a basketball match. Not necessarily a bad thing with our quality.

My point still stands, both formations were useful for different points of the season. Matching up FGR and Port Vale and mirroring their formation imo gave us an advantage for example.

In our first 10 games last season using 3 at the back, we were unbeaten. We then got thumped by a clinical Orient, were shit about Barrow and it all got a bit rocky once the loans were recalled.

« Last Edit: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 13:19:28 by Pericardinho » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 13:45:36 »

I see we've brought our home form from last season.  Smiley
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 13:47:48 »

I understand the point you're trying to make but you're cherry picking certain games to give your argument more weight.

352 became much less effective once Crichlow was recalled because we lost that left footed centre back. Also, Cooper got crocked pretty early so we were left with no choice really to play 433.

Were we more exciting to watch with 433? yes! but I also felt we had less control in games and it became more of a basketball match. Not necessarily a bad thing with our quality.

My point still stands, both formations were useful for different points of the season. Matching up FGR and Port Vale and mirroring their formation imo gave us an advantage for example.

In our first 10 games last season using 3 at the back, we were unbeaten. We then got thumped by a clinical Orient, were shit about Barrow and it all got a bit rocky once the loans were recalled.

But we’re not even trying 4 at the back in preseason or seemingly building a squad that can switch to 4 at the back as other than Iandolo (and that’s debatable) we don’t have a fullback in the squad so on current evidence we are going to stuck rigidly with a back 3 which wasn’t even our best formation last season and that’s my point. Lindsey seems fixated on a back 3 and on the evidence of last season that concerns me as it was erratic at best and didn’t work defensively.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 13:54:19 »

I see we've brought our home form from last season.  Smiley

I bet we don't bring last seasons away form😀

So, give no fucks
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 13:54:47 »

But we’re not even trying 4 at the back in preseason or seemingly building a squad that can switch to 4 at the back as other than Iandolo (and that’s debatable) we don’t have a fullback in the squad so on current evidence we are going to stuck rigidly with a back 3 which wasn’t even our best formation last season and that’s my point. Lindsey seems fixated on a back 3 and on the evidence of last season that concerns me as it was erratic at best and didn’t work defensively.

Fully agree with you that we're building a fairly one dimensional squad with no *traditional* fullbacks that can defend. 100%

We won 47% of our league games playing 3 at the back last season. That's my point about how it had its uses. It's just that when it didn't work, it was a horror show.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 16:02:01 »

For those who haven't seen the goals. I didn't realise how big & powerful the Cardiff players were and looked super fit not fatigued.

« Last Edit: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 16:04:02 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #760 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 16:16:43 »

For those who haven't seen the goals. I didn't realise how big & powerful the Cardiff players were and looked super fit not fatigued.

Yeah they were streets ahead of us.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 16:19:25 »

I guess no surprise that they are a big powerful team considering who their manager played for.

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 16:45:49 »

Fully agree with you that we're building a fairly one dimensional squad with no *traditional* fullbacks that can defend. 100%

We won 47% of our league games playing 3 at the back last season. That's my point about how it had its uses. It's just that when it didn't work, it was a horror show.

Again I cannot really disagree with this post, however, principally we were lightweight in numbers due to, well we know why. Another ‘rebuild’ in January and not much time to get the players we would have liked to have from the start of the season. We can eliminate some of the ‘reasons/excuses’ because of the time we’ve had. Ok counter balanced with a late finish due to the play offs and a managerial change but none the less we are in a stronger and better position overall than this time last year.

So looking back we were only one win, one miserly win away from automatic on goal difference IIRC (not checked) but oh so close. So taking all things into consideration we should fucking smash this season no ifs no buts. Playing formation if sticking to last years formula should not be an issue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 16:59:41 »

Assuming we've replaced the quality that has left.

So, give no fucks
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #764 on: Sunday, July 24, 2022, 17:10:24 »

Bar Jack Payne i wouldn't say we are much weaker and that's not knowing what the other midfielders offer
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: