Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 25678 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 05:33:26 »

Looking at their fans from the DR it looked like they had 700 hi viz clad stewards and had left their fans back in Stonehouse.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 06:21:58 »

I think we need a bit of perspective here.....

FGR are a good side. They looked strong and quick in both midfield and attack. Their defence wasn't bad, but they were run ragged by McKirdy, Payne, Williams and to a lesser extend Barry.

We won that game because of the intensity and attacking flair we showed in the first half followed by grit, determination and a lot of luck in the second.

I can see why they are top of the league. They looked very organised and workmanlike and I think we caught them at a very good time. They didn't seem to be able to up their tempo in the second half. I don't know why Mat went off at half time, but their finishing in the second half was very poor.

As a former Stroud person, they are a local team. I don't care about Dale Vince and his vegan adventure, but I hold no grudge against them. In representing the area I grew up in, I wish them well, unless they are playing us. Then I want them to lose. Its the same for me with Cheltenham. No malice, a passing interest, because of where they are located, but no love for them when they play us. I'm not keen on the fact that both may be in a higher division than us next year.

Back to the game. In my mind, they should have overturned the 2 goal deficit after Iandolo was sent off and I'm very surprised that they didn't. We seemed to want it more than they did, which is a bit surprising since they don't have an easy game up next and could now easily lose out on the title.

Finally, that was a difficult game to watch - So many emotions. I can only liken it to the 1987 play offs, which were the most tense and nervous affairs that I have experienced at football matches.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 06:42:45 »

No malice from me, I'm like this whoever we play.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 07:42:22 »

The one thing we can say - and to be fair it’s been true all season - is that while we we may not have won as many as we would like at home, we have never had any cause to complain about the players’  effort and commitment.
How many home games have you been to this season ??.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 07:51:52 »

You know that the wrong home tactics at times has nothing to do a lack of effort don’t you?

The home results aren’t due to a lack of effort, lack of urgency/intensity at times yes
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 08:42:16 »

I've watched 80% of the home games on Ifollow and I am sure on occasions I made more effort getting up at 3am on a Sunday morning than some of the players.
Whether it was lack of desire or bad tactics... from 18000 km away it was just so frustrating seeing good players seemingly accepting STFC not winning with regularity. Colchester was typical of the home form. When away Town played like diamonds.
COYMRs
WestYorksRed

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 09:42:51 »

Interesting to read the posts on FGR from the Stroud Reds. I lived there growing up in the late 80s / early to mid 90s. Can remember FGR getting crowds of < 100 in the Beezer Homes Midland Lg or whatever it was called, changing name to Stroud FC then back again to FGR. I don't care whether FGR win or lose (except when they play us of course!), whether in the same division or not. bit like Harrogate on my doorstep, I could never watch them in the football lg unless we are playing there. Somehow would imply tacit support, which is not acceptable on any level.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 10:44:34 »

Tuesday night was like the performance and atmosphere summoned on the old spirits of previous evening games under the floodlights at the County Ground and brought that out of both players and supporters

The League Cup runs in 69, 80, 86 and 95, the play off games against Gillingham in 87, getting to Wembley in 90, Charlton in 2010 and the chaos of the Sheffield Utd game in 2015.

That's not history that money can just buy it takes years of accumulated games with highs and more than a few lows. The CG might be run down but it's our place and history.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 11:33:35 »

Tuesday night was like the performance and atmosphere summoned on the old spirits of previous evening games under the floodlights at the County Ground and brought that out of both players and supporters

The League Cup runs in 69, 80, 86 and 95, the play off games against Gillingham in 87, getting to Wembley in 90, Charlton in 2010 and the chaos of the Sheffield Utd game in 2015.

That's not history that money can just buy it takes years of accumulated games with highs and more than a few lows. The CG might be run down but it's our place and history.

It was one of those games that you will remember for sure...go up or not.

Clems Army!
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 14:37:13 »

How many home games have you been to this season ??.
All but 1 or 2 - I have a season ticket in the Arkells
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 14:39:33 »

I don’t think there has been a lack of effort at any point from the players
There have been mistakes / errors - they are League 2 players so that’s inevitable.
Occasionally it has been too one paced / lacking in variety / momentum / tempo but that is not the same as players not giving 100%.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 18:49:49 »

Agree 100%
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Thursday, April 28, 2022, 19:43:04 »

Agree 100%

Absolutely agree.
And for older viewers: the promotion night v Shrewsbury on a spring night in 1963; 3-0 v Manchester City in Division 2 on an autumn night in '63; the regular FA Cup runs of the mid sixties ... and even losing 5-1 at home to Everton in the Cup in early 1963, when we sat on the banked up snow by the touchline. Floodlights flashing onto snow and lighters and matches flashing in the stands and the glow of cigarettes ...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: