Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34844 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:25:59 »

The only thing as poor as that 2nd half was the performance of the Town End. The DRS had a go, but it’s the weakest Town End that there has been in years, slightly outperforming the 20/21 season version.

On a more serious note, I’ve reconciled myself with the view that we’re just not good enough. Reed is most weeks. Some (Payne, McKirdy…) are most of the time. Others are just too inconsistent, going from great to poor from one game to the next. We’ve done ok all things considered, but I’ll always wonder if we could/should have got more out of this squad. The jury remains out on Garner too. He deserves another crack next season, but I suspect that there will be less slack given to him next season if we are in the same position.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:31:33 by Frigby Daser » Logged
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:32:02 »

Haven't read through the comments but my thoughts... first half we were pretty good and should have been 2 or 3-0 up at half time. In all honesty we would have been if we had a better striker / more attacking threat. Second half was dreadful and we did absolutely nothing besides move it from side to side very very slowly. That being said, we didn't deserve to lose the game.

The issue that I see with Garner is the lack of street-smart about our play. For every freekick we have on the half way line do we always have to go back? Sometimes just putting it into the box, you can get lucky or pick up the ball further in the opposition half - an opportunity to generate momentum and get the crowd onside. At the moment it just seems like possession for possessions sake which is partly due to the lack of attacking quality in the side, but also seems like a waste of time a lot of the time
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:32:42 »

First half, ok. Two shots on target doesn’t constitute much better than ok despite how much of the ball we had.

Second half, inept fucking shite.

With 10/15 mins to go you could see that we were eventually going to gift them a goal, and we did.

The first time I can ever leaving a game early.
Under Hart we were awful, so losing games was almost expected, however this bunch have potential just not the heart .
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:40:42 »

We learnt today that Town bottled it. Bizarre sub options notwithstanding.

Doing well is about also taking opportunity when it is presented. This season has been an opportunity missed. It's a dogshit division and anything from an average side upwards can be capable of getting promoted. That's the frustrating part. Town could have been way above that bar all season. They had glimpses at times of being more than capable. Kind of looking like a middle to top 10 of L1 type of capable. Other times they've looked distinctly Conference ability.

What does that result in...well in this shite league it still means you can be in the hunt as nearly every team in the division can turn up different each week. For Town, this probably results in them finishing in an obscure looking predicament of about 9th-12th place.

Bar FVR (who have had their own wobble at times), pretty much most fans of a top 11 L2 side, if they are totally honest about it (if missing out on POs or autos) will be wondering both things;

How the fuck did we miss out on POs/Autos?!
&
How the fuck did we even finish this high up?!

There's still a chance Town will get in the POs of course - even a possibility of finishing about 4th is still realistic. We can probably put an auto place to bed right now. 10pts with 18pts available and a clutch of teams between is just asking too much of all those teams to fuck up. Possible? Yes. Probable? No. Yet win the GiH and you're up the arses of all PO teams so that is very much on. Right now though Town do need that consistent winning streak at the business end and when it matters (like today) but I genuinely don't think they have the bite in them to do so. I fully well hope I'm wrong but time (and fixtures) appear to be nearly at expiry for 2021/2022 season.

I think I said Top 8 for my season Prediction, can't remember. It would be more gutting to finish 8th than 9th or 10th but tbh even if Town finish where they are now it'll be annoying because we'll look at things like Reed's silly sending offs, McGirty buggaring about on social media, Conroy's toy throwing exercise when dropped (don't fucking @ me lolz) as the kind of smaller compounded distractions that might well have gone against the difference of finishing in an auto spot.

Another owner used to go on about making Town a "Cham'ee-unshipp soide Shawn! Cham'ee-unshipp!" but those were empty promises, more aligned with Roary the Haven Tiger.

On the evidence to far, we can only hope that Clem is not in it just forMuni but also not to make Town look even Morfuni too!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:44:09 »

The only thing as poor as that 2nd half was the performance of the Town End. The DRS had a go, but it’s the weakest Town End that there has been in years, slightly outperforming the 20/21 season version.

On a more serious note, I’ve reconciled myself with the view that we’re just not good enough. Reed is most weeks. Some (Payne, McKirdy…) are most of the time. Others are just too inconsistent, going from great to poor from one game to the next. We’ve done ok all things considered, but I’ll always wonder if we could/should have got more out of this squad. The jury remains out on Garner too. He deserves another crack next season, but I suspect that there will be less slack given to him next season if we are in the same position.

Less slack and a reduced budget.
Concerning another major rebuild. The intent by this Board will be under the spot light. The fans have backed the project, if they sell on McKirdy for a profit going to be some questions rightly asked.

Sorry not convinced.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:51:34 »

Nothing less than autos next season will be good enough for me.

Garnerball won’t get us out of league 2- possession stats don’t win you games at this level. Last 3 games we have had two thirds of the ball but got 1 pt and scored 1 goal.

The town is getting behind them with us having 10k home fans again today. This is more than a lot of teams manage over 5 home games in this league.

Expect to see ambition in the summer
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:55:08 »

Plus we will have to compete with the rejuvenated Stockport and possibly Wrexham

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 18:56:53 »

Nothing less than autos next season will be good enough for me.

If two 'sleeping giants'/well funded clubs secure promotion, getting out of div 4 will be a lot harder next season.

Nothing to see here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 19:52:09 »

Inept shite. That second half must rank as one if the worst 45 minutes of dross I’ve seen for a while.

And to top it all I got a parking ticket for parking opposite The Merlin. Resident’s only. Fuck ‘em.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 20:03:40 »

Just seen the highlights and sorry but while acknowledging the pathetic attempt by JML to beat the full back and the poor decision by Wollacott,I think Conroy could have done a lot better to try and keep that out
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 20:18:32 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 21:01:44 »

Inept shite. That second half must rank as one if the worst 45 minutes of dross I’ve seen for a while.

And to top it all I got a parking ticket for parking opposite The Merlin. Resident’s only. Fuck ‘em.

I bet it boiled your piss, didn't it Aud?  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 21:30:38 »

Just seen the highlights and sorry but while acknowledging the pathetic attempt by JML to beat the full back and the poor decision by Wollacott,I think Conroy could have done a lot better to try and keep that out

Don’t forget about Baudry letting the guy run free past him.
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 21:56:08 »

I’ve had enough of “we got our club back” bullshit. Today was terrible by any standards. Literally fuming with how we played, went about our business!

I’ve had to defend Garner to my brother who is also a season ticket holder for many weeks now however after today I can’t!!
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 22:00:20 by Hyabb17 » Logged
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 22:41:44 »

I’ve had to defend Garner to my brother who is also a season ticket holder for many weeks now however after today I can’t!!
[/quote]

Problem with Garner is he is completely one dimensional. Don’t know why scouts even bother coming to watch us at the CG as every report must say the same- press them high, they will make mistakes.

Don’t think Garners brand of football will get us out of this league.
Give him till October and a full pre season. If we are not challenging then get rid and get a new man in before the Jan window
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 22:44:54 »

Less slack and a reduced budget.
Concerning another major rebuild. The intent by this Board will be under the spot light. The fans have backed the project, if they sell on McKirdy for a profit going to be some questions rightly asked.

Sorry not convinced.

Reduced budget? Is that a hunch or common knowledge?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: