Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Walsall Matchday Thread  (Read 21372 times)
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 22:30:36 »

Credit where credits due, the players and Garner reacted to the terrible defeat at Tranmere with 3 outstanding performances and results and after changing the formation and style, taking more risks in attack and less in defence and it has worked great so far, we have become the team we have threatened to be all season.

11 goals with none conceded is a great response.

I agree.  Credit has to be given to Gardner.  Shouts of change were ringing in the air and he made a change and so far it has been positive.    It is good to see when a coach accepts change is needed
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 22:40:07 »

So where are the we need another forward/striker brigade gone to?

As I said, this post January team seem to me to be more decisive, have a better understanding of each other, more clinical going forward, less pissing about at the back but not eradicated. I drove home thinking that if we’d had this team from the start maybe we’d be further ahead than FGR. Anyway, what a performance. Simply fantastic.

The Salford ‘92 scout will be scratching his head about setting up for Saturday I’m sure.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 22:51:24 »

As I said, this post January team seem to me to be more decisive, have a better understanding of each other, more clinical going forward, less pissing about at the back but not eradicated. I drove home thinking that if we’d had this team from the start maybe we’d be further ahead than FGR. Anyway, what a performance. Simply fantastic.

The Salford ‘92 scout will be scratching his head about setting up for Saturday I’m sure.

Bye If davison is injured. this team doesn't play like that tonight- lets hope we dont get that situation
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 22:51:30 »

Still here. I think McKirdy showed that it's good to have options off the bench. He had a bit of a mare tonight and Williams came on and scored.

Davison is getting better each game. But, we still need a similar option to come off the bench if he has a mare of picks up an injury.

I was willing Parsons to get on the score sheet, but he is not a good option for Davison if we are chasing a game.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 22:54:28 »

the most complete home performance of the season by a country mile. out fought them, bullied them and had some fantastic flicks round corners, through balls and movement.

some outstanding performances and chemistry was brilliant. very pleased that garner stuck with the formation and winning team. if we can keep this team fit then we should have a very exciting finish to the season
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 23:31:35 »

the most complete home performance of the season by a country mile. out fought them, bullied them and had some fantastic flicks round corners, through balls and movement.

some outstanding performances and chemistry was brilliant. very pleased that garner stuck with the formation and winning team. if we can keep this team fit then we should have a very exciting finish to the season

Agree and with strength available in depth again it’s a massive bonus.
Tonight the consistency won it for me, played well for long periods. Definitely believe the 3 up top has given us the width at home that was missing.
Appears we have adapted now to losing the KKH pace on the right, far more options in front of the back line and we are getting it to the midfield and up top far quicker.

Enjoyable performance.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 23:36:48 »

1-3. Walsall have just beaten the top two. We aren't very good at home. Garners tactics are quite easily nullified by a manager like Flynn IMO.

Go for 7,800ish for attendance. We don't seem to do well attendance wise on Tuesdays.

What the fuck do I know.

Brilliant tonight. Walsall tactics exactly what I expected but we just took the piss out of them. To be fair, Walsall did okay for 30 mins or so but as soon as it clicked for us we just toyed with them. Lovely to see.

Took my 6 year old nephew to his first ever football match tonight. Living in Reading with a Chelsea fan for a dad it was ambitious but he had a brilliant time and has already asked to come back. Don't have the heart to tell him it isn't always like this!
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 23:45:47 »

Agree and with strength available in depth again it’s a massive bonus.
Tonight the consistency won it for me, played well for long periods. Definitely believe the 3 up top has given us the width at home that was missing.
Appears we have adapted now to losing the KKH pace on the right, far more options in front of the back line and we are getting it to the midfield and up top far quicker.

Enjoyable performance.

Where on earth would jack payne fit into this current team line up...may need to wait for an opportunity or impress off the bench
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 23:59:45 »

https://www.skysports.com/football/swindon-town-vs-walsall/report/448704
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 00:02:58 »

Credit where credits due, the players and Garner reacted to the terrible defeat at Tranmere with 3 outstanding performances and results and after changing the formation and style, taking more risks in attack and less in defence and it has worked great so far, we have become the team we have threatened to be all season.

11 goals with none conceded is a great response.

Obviously this.

The need for change was criticism aimed at Garner. A lot of people laughing at all the ‘Garner out’ posters but I don’t think many out right said they wanted Garner sacked.

The large majority were asking for adaptation and change. Proof Garner could do it…

He has answered those critics in the best possible way…
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 00:05:43 »

Picked the right night for our Covid delayed Xmas piss up.

The most encouraging home performance I've seen for years.  Two good goals. One sublime goal.  So much to admire and enjoy.  Kept the pressure on to the end.  Scoreline maybe a bit unfair on Walsall given their performance in first 30 mins but that just underlines how dominant we were after that.  

So good to see everyone buzzing at the end.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 00:19:01 »

Well well, that was entertaining to say the least.

Whether by luck or judgement, Garner got the tactics spot on to deal with that Walsall side that has had a couple of impressive wins recently. You can see why they’ve got those recent results. Walsall came flying out the traps and set out to smother us, likely banking on getting one early and managing the game from there.

They came close, and on another day the luck might have gone against us in that spell at 20-35 minutes and we’d have had a tough game on our hands. It shows just how fine the margins are with presumably how Garnerball is supposed to work. I’d bet that he’d say that’s the most satisfying performance out of them all for the way he wants the team to play.

One minute we’re dancing with death in our own penalty area as Walsall force a loose pass , and but for some great last ditch blocks, have an easy shot on goal. Seconds later the ball comes out to Davison who superbly wriggles free of the final couple of Walsall defenders and slips in Barry on the break for a sublime finish. Didn’t see that in his first few appearances from him.

The second was timed perfectly to send Walsall in at HT knowing they’d have to put another shift in just to get anything from the game. As it turns out, they were dead on their feet (not surprising after that first half effort) and Town obviously full of confidence got the cigars out and had right old time of it.

Having Reed available is clearly a boon and works perfectly with having that back 4. He can drop into that quarterback-esque position and effectively become the 3rd CB pivot whilst we’re on the ball, but offering much more and with more options. With the 3 CBs as played previously, you’re either asking one of them to do that, which they’re less capable of, or Reed does it but with 3 CBs behind or alongside him, so it’s no surprise that we were opting for passing it sideways along the back so often when at our worst.

Clearly he was a big miss whilst he was (stupidly) out, as is the midfield energy of Payne since he got injured. Mercifully, Aguiar has provided so much of that since he’s been involved. He was superb today. they all were except maybe for McKirdy who just had one of those days that he has. No lack of effort, just things not coming off for him. Davison is definitely providing what Simpson lacked. Such a shame we don’t have both to use as options. Barry finding his shooting boots is a massive plus. Great finishes from him.

They won’t all work out as perfectly as they did today, but at least it looks like we’ve changed things for the better and Garner has shown he can adapt within the bounds of an overarching “philosophy”.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 00:23:20 by WEBBERhyde » Logged
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 00:33:52 »

Davison is a pretty big upgrade on Simpson.

Simpson had all the gear and not much idea. Not his fault, first season playing pro footie he was bound to be a bit raw. The difference now; when the ball is played into Davison I'm confident it will stick. When it's in the air I'm confident he will win his fair share and he has the work rate to match. He knows how to use his body and has good awareness of what's around him. Shows what an extra few years of pro footie does for you. Simpson will no doubt go on to have a good career but I'm selfishly happy with how it turned out.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:09:31 »

That has to be the worst website/forum I’ve ever seen. One minute their posts are there, next they disappear. Weird.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:21:20 »

Walsall demonstrated last night the ineffectiveness of playing a back 3 of centre backs against a 433 formation.

CBs tend to play narrow and be the less mobile of defenders, meaning you end up with 3 of them marking the CF allowing the side players to run riot.

..never go back.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: