Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 58   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Manchester City FA Cup 3rd round pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 63270 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 11:48:53 »

You’re really after the cheap holiday voucher weren’t you….
Thinking about it the 10 pages they wasted on that is probably why they had no room to print our result.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 11:53:25 »

Well before the opening goal, it became clear that playing it out from the back was leading to surrendering possession in our own half - and that persisting with this would invite extra goal scoring opportunities for City.

Ward has taken flack for one or both openers and his execution was especially at fault for the second.  

Faced with an understandable desire to follow his manager's rigid instructions and using his initiative to respond to the effects of City's pressing, I suspect that that the worst happened - and that Ward got caught between two stools.

There are risks with the way our GK is asked to distribute but I feel that the coaching is too rigid here.  We need a plan B and a Plan C.  Last night, first half especially, I feel Garner's approach in this area:

1)  failed to pay proper respect to the quality and nature of City's pressing
2)  failed to allow for the fact Ward's strengths do not lie in his footballing skills

With 2 penalties saved against FG and Man City - together with some outstanding saves - I remain very comfortable with Ward's ability to cover for Jojo.  But Garner needs to play to his players' strengths.

« Last Edit: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:06:48 by RedRag » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #752 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 11:57:56 »

The obigatory opposition forum thoughts, obviously Man City have a lot of forums and a lot of posters but here are some comments from the top forum.

Thank you Man City (I know some of your forum posters will be reading this) your comments are much appreciated.

Great game, really enjoyed that.

Ally McCoist class act commentator.

very comfortable but thought we weren’t at our best and never got out of first gear.

We get the win, Worzels get a goal, win win

Also fair play to Swindon. Plugged away, played hard but fair, gave it a go

Great performance Palmer excellent
and Swindon well done for not trying to kick fuck out of us

Credit to Swindon for sticking to their principles

Fair play to Swindon Town, they had a go, they played with more balls then most of the Premier League sides we play.

Really pleased we played a strong side, respecting our fans and theirs.

Professional performance in 2nd gear.

Good finish by McKirdy although he looks like he shouldn't be allowed within 50 yards of a playground

The lad with the pineapple haircut was excellent for Swindon. Edit: Kesler-Hayden.

Swindon trying to play football unlike some of PL teams vs us. They getting a goal must have been great fun for their players and fans.

Well done Swindon.More shots on target than the gooners on Saturday.

Ally McCoist great as well - none of the bullshit you get with BT or Sky

So enjoyable that.
Still buzzing after watching such a decent game, played in such a great spirit.
So sad that such games are so rare these days.
Full credit Swindon!
Pre-season there next year?

Pleased for Swindon that they showed that they want to get the ball and play the correct way.
Pleased for the Swindon assists manager. I know him and he’s been through some personal heart ache the last few years so I hope he enjoyed his evening. I know he likes to play the game the correct way so all credit to Swindon and all associated with them.

Credit to Swindon as they never resorted to hacking our players, which so many teams do.

That was a really enjoyable game.
Swindon played well, tried to control the ball, and played the game in the right spirit. So credit to them.

Didn’t mind them scoring either. Good for the kids in the crowd.

Well played Swindon. Good night all round and I hope their fans enjoyed the occasion. These early rounds of the FA Cup are good, especially so for the lower league cups as it means a lot to them.

Fair play to Swindon..tried to play football and didn't kick fuck out of us either .hope they get promoted.

Pleased for Swindon fans as well to get a goal - Peps football revolution playing from the back makes it to league 2!

For one minute I don’t want to come across as being condesending, but I like the way your team played tonight. Yes there is a huge difference in money and cost of players. Despite that you tried to play the game from back to front. No kick and rush, no physicals as some of the Premier league teams try. I can understand why you are doing well in the league as that type of football will work against teams at that level With the players you have. Stick with Garner, he knows Pep ball. best of luck for the future

Fair play to Swindon. Thought they played alright and have quite a good side for that level, No diving, no cheating, made a refreshing change from the PL dark arts we have to contend with.

Absolutely, and no bus parking hoping for a lucky break, they had a go, played some decent football themselves, certainly deserved a goal at least. An entertaining game thanks to them.

Kudos to Swindon, always tried to play football and deserved their goal

Professional and composed performance, fair play to Swindon for their manner of play, didn’t stoop to putting the boot in.

Good performance that I thought and well done to Swindon for playing their game, keeping at it and getting their goal. No kicking us and played in a great spirit. A good night all round.

Fair play to Swindon. As others have said they didn't try and clog us off the pitch

Well done Swindon, you at least breached our defence, unlike the mighty man utd or chelsea.
Good luck for the rest of your season

Good luck for the rest of the season. Really enjoyable night although it was bitterly cold. Great cup tie and your players did you proud.
I spoke to a couple of Swindon fans after the game and highlighted you had more of a go at us than Chelsea did at Stamford Bridge.
Looks like as a club you are on an upward curve and hopefully you can invest in the squad soon and a climb a division.

Like Swindon good decent team

Well done Swindon. Game played in the right spirit and that was down to you. Football in the South West is rubbished but the teams that City have played here have always played in the right way. I remember two brilliant matches in the League Cup semifinal against Bristol City and that great little Bristol City ball boy who was made guest of honour at the Etihad for the second leg.
Well done Swindon. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Decent game and result. Swindon played honest and it gives the neutrals an entertaining 90 minutes

Credit to Swindon for atleast trying to play football unlike majority of pl team . Hope they get promoted.

Here here, we’ll said and I add my best wishes for promotion, Swindon look way too good for League 2!

I was sat with the Swindon fans near the dugouts a good bunch and really pleased we played a strong team.

Well done to Swindon Town. They might have lost the Cup but they made the most out of the tie and played their football and gave their fans a night to remember. That football club should be playing football at a higher level.

Well done to Swindon for putting up a really good football fight and playing football the right way.
Thanks also for the generous comments about our club. As you say we get a lot of criticism in the media which is mostly down to the fact that the journos writing it are generational utd and pool fans and they resent us for pissing on their chips.
It’s heartening to hear there are lots of real football fans like yourself and the large majority of Swindon Reds who understand what football is about and are able to appreciate its beauty without bias.
Rest assured that many City fans like me who have followed the club for several decades will never forget where we came from and still love cold nights in places like Swindon.
Best wishes for the rest of the season.

I thought Swindon worked hard and were organised and it's nice though to see a L2 team trying to play from the back. Hope you get promoted so the U's can batter you ;-). (I'm from Manchester but 31 years living in S.Oxon has an influence).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:13:31 »

What great comments. Nice to be reminded how decent the vast majority of proper football fans are. Good work JJ  Wink
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:24:23 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned. Man City we’re entitled to a % of the gate and TV money. They waived that right and told Us to keep all of it.

Credit to them.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:28:51 »

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Yes we were well beaten, but the atmosphere for our goal, then straight from kick off Walker getting booked for a free kick in a dangerous position and come on you reds echoing round the CG was a real moment of pride.

City were a joy to watch. Rodri, Cancelo, Palmer...too many to mention. Yeah I prefer seeing us play teams on an even footing in the league, but as a one off that was absolutely superb.

Let’s bank the fortune from this match and have a real tilt at promotion in the next few months.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:29:23 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned. Man City we’re entitled to a % of the gate and TV money. They waived that right and told Us to keep all of it.

Credit to them.
Where’d you hear that? Quality if so
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:30:33 »

Credit to them.
Very nice of them.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:32:15 »

Credit to them.
That should be well over half a million for last night then. Perhaps we’ll be on their preseason friendly list going forwards as we didn’t try and kick lumps out of them.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #759 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:32:53 »

Credit to them.
If that is indeed true thats very classy of them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:34:54 »

Clem/Rob knew what they were doing with that charm offensive pre match when they found out Pep had covid  Wink
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:43:16 »

Credit to them.
I think the TV money is allocated equally to both clubs - £85,000 each. So not shared as such.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:52:45 »

nice comments from the city fans.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:55:18 »

I thought there was a new FA rule about teams not being able to 'give up' their share in favour of the other?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: Saturday, January 8, 2022, 12:56:13 »

That should be well over half a million for last night then. Perhaps we’ll be on their preseason friendly list going forwards as we didn’t try and kick lumps out of them.

We discussed this last night too, so hopefully it does happen
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 58   Go Up
Print
Jump to: