Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC vs Stevenage Pre-Match & Matchday Thread  (Read 23609 times)
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #330 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 09:09:07 »

really poor probably the poorest it's been for me. The passing was off and even throw-ins after the 1st minute were being played behind players. I have said it all season though let's wait until January to see how we recruit as let's face it we can moan all we want but we did struggle to put a team out all summer so let's see how we change things.

On the covid subject fair play to them as that would not have been easy at all  i am still struggling with catching my breath 3 weeks later so just because they are footballers doesn't mean they suffer any differently, it was visable in th first half at times they were fucked and Kesler Hayden could hardly walk at 1 point.

Finally and just as important as performances is the atmosphere for me, it's absolute shit and I know some will blame the performances but it's a 2-way thing. Last night, for example, it took until the 9th minute to hear a thing out the crowd, the club seriously need to look at a way of getting the crowd involved between 2.50 and kick-off and get the players walking in to a good atmosphere from the 1st minute. Last night at half time the crowd were at their loudest singing sweet caroline, i am not suggesting that song but lets get rid of the current song and get something that gets the crowd going
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 09:40:29 »

I'll give up my season ticket if Sweet Caroline becomes 'a thing'. Fuck that shit.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 09:42:46 »

Atmosphere is fucking shite though, has been all season. I've had a big break from attending regularly before this season, TE was noisy as fuck when I was a regular before. I guess though that like myself, some of those regulars have moved, can't/don't go any more etc and it's had a negative impact on the atmosphere.

Don't even ask the South Stand for a song any more!

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 09:43:14 »

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #334 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 09:56:21 »

Just my take
JoJo 6  couple of decent stops,although one as a result of his own error
KKH 3 absolutely woeful in every respect.Horribly missed our best chance
Hunt 8 solid as a rock
Odimayo 6 One crucial tackle in first half and generally unruffled
Iandolo 5 decent one minute shocking the next
JML 4 nonentity
East 6 tidy,good first half. Rarely gave the ball away
Reed 5 not up to his usual standard.Too many misplaced passes
Payne 5 ditto
McKirdy 4 frustrating
Gladwin 5 seemed to improve a little after Williams came on
Subs
Simpson 4 Totally off the pace
Williams 7 Showed the spark that almost won us the game
Very close to how I saw it too but for me Iandolo was a 4 at best as was Gladwin.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 10:02:28 »

Very close to how I saw it too but for me Iandolo was a 4 at best as was Gladwin.
Ditto. But I'm with adje on Iandolo (our only shot on target) and with PV on Gladwin.  Cheesy

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 10:05:04 »

Whilst I made the comments about covid affecting performance last night I do agree it wasn’t much better than most home performances. The worry for me is we don’t have the personnel to mix it up… we could start playing long but neither Simpson or McKirdy can hold it up, same applies for just whipping balls in the box. That being said, every player could play 2/3 touches quicker, Gladwin the main culprit for that. I don’t mind possession football but the ball has to be moved faster otherwise you’re going to piss off a lot of the fan base
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 10:05:20 »

We aren’t getting worse, we are having a bit of a blip in form, as every team does every season.

Our players didn’t train for 10 days, 16 of them have had Covid and they have been back together a week. Tonight wasn’t that bad when you take that into account.

The last 2 performances have been awful.   At Barrow we were slow, negative and didn't create a single chance.  The first half yesterday was even worse.  

Bradford was the only other game that comes close in shitness and that was entirely down to Garner as he changed formation despite being on a decent run.

Yes we're doing ok points wise but we have to be at 100% to win games playing this way and when we're not it's very easy to play against and the refusal/inability to adapt is a concern.

Not calling for his head by any means but I'm not convinced he's the long term solution either.   The recruitment has been good though especially given all the restrictions and lack of time.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 10:40:03 »

Havent read back.

Well that was shite.

Stevenage could of been three up at HT and one up would of probably been enough.

Second half was better but not enough.... ballooned every chance apart from the one that was fisted away.

A hard solid defensive wall from Stevenage but not the quickest, it needed sharp and snappy passing to get around them...that was lacking all night.

Clems Army!
Crackity Jones

« Reply #339 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 10:51:21 »

Whilst I made the comments about covid affecting performance last night I do agree it wasn’t much better than most home performances. The worry for me is we don’t have the personnel to mix it up… we could start playing long but neither Simpson or McKirdy can hold it up, same applies for just whipping balls in the box. That being said, every player could play 2/3 touches quicker, Gladwin the main culprit for that. I don’t mind possession football but the ball has to be moved faster otherwise you’re going to piss off a lot of the fan base
. This is largely where I am at. I do think it's far too early to suggest that Garner isn't the man for the job.  He and Chorley have put together a squad at super short notice that sits in the play off places going into the new year. He should be commended for that. While they may have got in a lot of their targets (and I am sure they missed out on some too), they would not have known for certain how they would gel as a squad and suit the style of play. I am sure its been a learning curve for the players too.

In terms of the players coming in, there have been far more hits than misses. I do think we are a couple of key players short though. An actual striker that can hold the ball up, back to goal and a CB are musts for me. Let's see what the Bens do in January to address our shortcomings.  

As has been said, we need to move the ball quicker and be more incisive. When we do that, our possession based football looks great. When we are slow and ponderous it looks awful.  There seems to be no in-between with us.

So, it's a B+ from me for Garner so far all things considered. I am not even sure the end of this season is the time to be saying he isn't the man for the job given the starting point, but let's see how the next transfer window plays out at least.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 11:18:26 »

Anyone got a good condition programme from last nights game in case I can’t get one from the club shop? In my enthusiasm to get into the game on time I completely forgot to get one.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 12:06:21 »

I haven’t read back.
Only the players and management will know the extent to which COVID impacted performance due to lack of training, preparation and fitness.
The weather conditions- strong wing, rain making the ball greasy and skid off the surface also had an impact on passing, particularly in the first half.
We had a makeshift defence which kept a clean sheet - with a bit of luck at times, but also some important tackles and blocks (notably by Hunt, who was excellent). Also a new formation - necessitated by availability - in front of that. East had a tidy game in midfield, but without Simpson (who didn’t look fully fit when he came on) had little up front.
KKH should have won it late on with our best chance.
Let’s not be too despondent as we are still very much in touch at the top, will soon have the absentees available, and are looking to strengthen in January.
Happy New Year everyone.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 13:55:28 »

I think Garner and the club missed a trick regarding the fitness of some players and could have had the game posponed and stretched the rules a little like other clubs probably do. After your isolation period is over there is no guarantee that you are ready to go back to your day job certainly if it involves using energy to get your fitness levels back. I had Covid and even after three weeks home from work I wasn't ready to do any light exercise without getting out of breath so there's a good probability many of those players last night weren't nowhere near able to give 100% so maybw the smart move would have been to tell the EFL there were at least 11 players within the squad who hadn't recovered and were suffering with long Covid symptons.

So, give no fucks
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 14:10:23 »

I think Garner and the club missed a trick regarding the fitness of some players and could have had the game posponed and stretched the rules a little like other clubs probably do. After your isolation period is over there is no guarantee that you are ready to go back to your day job certainly if it involves using energy to get your fitness levels back. I had Covid and even after three weeks home from work I wasn't ready to do any light exercise without getting out of breath so there's a good probability many of those players last night weren't nowhere near able to give 100% so maybw the smart move would have been to tell the EFL there were at least 11 players within the squad who hadn't recovered and were suffering with long Covid symptons.

Good post - maybe the finances are in much need of a cash boost, notwithstanding Citeh etc.
Just saying.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 14:14:39 »

No doubts all scenarios were discussed behind the scenes.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: