Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC vs Stevenage Pre-Match & Matchday Thread  (Read 24092 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 22:53:28 »

I don’t for a second think we are playing well at the moment, but I just don’t think it’s ‘that’ bad. Especially bad enough for comments like ‘Garner isn’t the answer’.

The home form isn’t great, and it does get frustrating to watch sometimes but I don’t think we are far away.
A few players added in January and it could all click.

I don’t think a change if manager is what we need, just a bit more patience.
Tonight was no different than the Harrogate game for me. Majority of possession, no real chances and gifting the opposition a few guilt edge opportunities that thankfully they mostly squander.

People were resorting to making their own entertainment with the lights on their mobile phone tonight as it was that boring to watch. If we aren’t getting results then this will become a problem as people are clearly getting a bit bored of it now and frustration will start bubble to the surface. We need to find a way to get some intensity into our play and the crowd involved. Gladwin sums up as a team; slow, lethargic, capable of moments of brilliance but lacking of any kind of intensity or physicality.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 23:04:22 »

Not a pleasing performance or result, but think the context of Covid disruption has to mean we don't get too worked up about it.

We go into January in a position where we have every chance lf going up if we strengthen the squad. I'd have taken that at the start of the season, but that doesn't mean every step of the way has been enjoyable.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 23:05:47 »

I thought we played ok under the circumstances but yes we need a couple of forwards to finish moves of. Mystified about Williams lack of game time. He should be the best player in this league by some distance. These are not normal times, Garner is doing a fantastic job imho and some of the football good to watch. Such Fickle fans with short memories like spoilt toddlers at Christmas at times. We have a club and we’re in the playoffs FFS.

We have been poor at home, no excuses.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 23:07:45 »

The only thing more asleep than the players (who I’ll cut some slack given the Covid issues) was the Town End. When I used to go in there, there were people who saw it as their job to get things going. I can only assume they’ve moved to sit elsewhere - because the Town End is mute this season.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 23:25:04 »

That was a truly dire 1st half and we could have been at least 2 down at half time. 2nd half was better and played at a higher tempo, strange as Garner majored on the impact of the Covid outbreak in his post match interview.

He said he was proud of the players 3 times in the space of 5 minutes in his interview  and talked about the difficulty of having to play again on Saturday. FFS they are professional athletes who should be more than capable of playing twice in 3 days.  Also talked about them putting their bodies on  the line, made them sound as though they are soldiers going out to fight during WW2. Some perspective is needed and I for one  am absolutely fed up with modern coaches moaning about how badly players are treated. They are well paid individuals doing a job that involves more time off than the vast majority of the working public get.

He should have said something along the lines of " we started slowly, I understand the fans getting frustrated as the 1st half was nowhere near good enough, we improved 2nd half but still didn't create enough chances and will be looking for higher intensity at the start of the Northampton game to get the fans behind us from the off"

Only Hunt, Odimayo, East and Williams looked at the races tonight. Gladwin flattered to deceive and McKirdy, Payne, Mitchell-Lawson and KKH were completely ineffective. If Iandolo was as poorly with Covid as Garner suggested, then he put in a sterling effort.

Sounded as though Garner doesn't rate our chances against Northampton and beginning to feel that it's all a bit too nice in the camp! He is the complete opposite of old school Sheridan who ranted and raved picking out individuals which clearly doesn't work, but surely I am not the only one who thought his post match analysis was far too positive.

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 23:28:18 »

That was a truly dire 1st half and we could have been at least 2 down at half time. 2nd half was better and played at a higher tempo, strange as Garner majored on the impact of the Covid outbreak in his post match interview.

He said he was proud of the players 3 times in the space of 5 minutes in his interview  and talked about the difficulty of having to play again on Saturday. FFS they are professional athletes who should be more than capable of playing twice in 3 days.  Also talked about them putting their bodies on  the line, made them sound as though they are soldiers going out to fight during WW2. Some perspective is needed and I for one  am absolutely fed up with modern coaches moaning about how badly players are treated. They are well paid individuals doing a job that involves more time off than the vast majority of the working public get.

He should have said something along the lines of " we started slowly, I understand the fans getting frustrated as the 1st half was nowhere near good enough, we improved 2nd half but still didn't create enough chances and will be looking for higher intensity at the start of the Northampton game to get the fans behind us from the off"

Only Hunt, Odimayo, East and Williams looked at the races tonight. Gladwin flattered to deceive and McKirdy, Payne, Mitchell-Lawson and KKH were completely ineffective. If Iandolo was as poorly with Covid as Garner suggested, then he put in a sterling effort.

Sounded as though Garner doesn't rate our chances against Northampton and beginning to feel that it's all a bit too nice in the camp! He is the complete opposite of old school Sheridan who ranted and raved picking out individuals which clearly doesn't work, but surely I am not the only one who thought his post match analysis was far too positive.

Were you listening to his interview?? He said it's hard for them to come back after having trained for 2-3 days after spending 10 days in isolation with 5-6 days being bed ridden. Giving this, an ask to play again Saturday of course is not easy at all. They put their bodies on the line because it was quite clear a few of them were not fit enough to play a 90 minute game of professional football. Iandolo was knackered, Odimayo got cramp and there was a couple more blowing way more than normal.

We played very poorly but all things considered with the COVID outbreak I thought they put in a shift
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 23:53:26 »

Were you listening to his interview?? He said it's hard for them to come back after having trained for 2-3 days after spending 10 days in isolation with 5-6 days being bed ridden. Giving this, an ask to play again Saturday of course is not easy at all. They put their bodies on the line because it was quite clear a few of them were not fit enough to play a 90 minute game of professional football. Iandolo was knackered, Odimayo got cramp and there was a couple more blowing way more than normal.

We played very poorly but all things considered with the COVID outbreak I thought they put in a shift

Yes of course I listened to the interview otherwise I wouldn't have commented on it! I am also fully aware and understand the context of what he said but he didn't say they had all been bed ridden for 5-6 days only that Iandolo had suffered the most, so presumably this applied to him -  hence I mentioned him. Still do not understand why elite athletes can not play twice in 4 days after 3 days back training - worse case scenario btw  as some were back before Christmas. Dont disagree they put in a shift, just that he was overly positive about the performance.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 23:57:40 »

I don’t have a problem with the players being run down by Covid, to be expected.  I do have a problem with our continued inability to adjust to another team.  Today they were begging to be attacked down the flanks, maybe even with quick 50/50 balls over the top at times.  They were clearly packing the middle and did a good job of it.  We simply played into their hands by carrying on with slow and methodical build up looking for the over powering through the middle.

On the players, I don’t have much time for Iandolo, and he was pretty dire today, but I do not think Inhave ever seen a player look so ill in a professional football game and see out the full 90 mins plus.  Fair play to him for that, but I was surprised he didn’t chuck his guts during that game.

We were also undone by free kick around the box nearly ever time, yet continued to allow them to pull Odimayo furthest sway from the centre.

It’s the stubborn refusal to sacrifice the five year plan for a pragmatic win that annoys me.  4K miles for that.....OK, it was to see family, but still.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 00:00:08 »

Covid is not an excuse for Garner who seems completely unable to change a game and counter the game plan of the away teams that come to the CG

10 home games in and he has learnt nothing. All the away sides have to do is to press us high all over the pitch and they are almost guaranteed to come away from the CG with points.

Very disappointing that after 10 home games where we have won only twice (says it all) the manager either won’t or chooses not to sort the home form out.

These games cry out for a decent defensive midfielder in Grant/Leyden to break up the play.

8k gate again- won’t keep that up by playing a style that bores the life out of the crowd- even worse no plan to mix it up when things don’t go to plan (which is most home games)
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 00:03:30 by Outletred » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 00:01:59 »

what I would say is that for some getting covid isn't as simple as waiting 10 days and off you go

now it might be for most of them. they are going and fit.

for me I got very very light symptoms, but I was in bed by 9 for the best part of two weeks through just being tired - not symptoms.  And i still have a few things not back to normal 2 months later.

that, or even a lack of training/game time can't help.

---------
oops, didn't see another page of comments before posting

yes, being one dimensional is a valid criticism

yes, of course they should be able to cope with 2 games in a week especially after a break - in normal times
Crackity Jones

« Reply #325 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 00:12:53 »

Well that was a load of turgid shit. If Stevenage had a half decent striker instead of Dorris they would have won that. I will buy the Covid influence on this one with the caveat that there has been a lot of turgid shit at home. Clem and Angus need to be on at Garner to sort the home form out. Get some intensity and some incisiveness about our play. Oh and Ben, please sign a striker to complement Simpson in Jan and not another attacking midfielder that doesn't score goals.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 01:16:40 »

Clem is here for the entire transfer window, so hopefully having him around will give the Bens the support needed to get in the right players.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 04:08:35 »

What’s a worry is the number of players who have recently turned from decent to dreadful all at the same time.

The past 4 or 5 games have seen Conroy, Critchlow, KKH, McKirdy, even JoJo and a few others’ form deteriorate. Have they just lost confidence in the ‘style’ now it’s not working?

Fair play to those that turn up regularly to watch that shit, though.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 08:06:22 »

Northampton are a massive 12/5 for a win Saturday. Must be nailed on after that awful performance last night.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 08:54:16 »

The highlight was getting my Trust scarf before the match.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 30, 2021, 09:03:08 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: