Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Barrow v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20950 times)
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 10:23:27 »

From FA info for players booklet: red card for using offensive, insulting or abusive language and / or gestures = automatic 2 match suspension.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 11:45:17 »

Billy Paynter was one for getting sent off just before Christmas and being suspended over the festive games. He did it twice IIRC
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 11:51:39 »

Been way above expectations so far this season but as others have suggested, we’re going to fall down the league if we don’t have a plan B. Doesn’t need to be rocket science but trying to play football on cut up pitches over the winter months isn’t going to be easy. Need to sign a big centre half who would be able to deal with the likes of Harry Smith and a striker who can hold it up. Doubt we will though, seems like Garner is focused on one style of play which will be stuck to throughout
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 11:58:07 »

So, at what point does it dawn on Garner that his way isn’t working.

Hopefully his definition of ‘working’ is the same as the fans. Surely he can’t ignore the obvious weaknesses, but I dread his actual response will just be ‘more of the same, just better’.

I wonder how invested Clem actually is in the ‘project’.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 12:13:30 »

Watched 'highlights' now and both pens looked pretty clear cut from that view.

On reflection we sort of did have a plan B as we started the second half playing a bit more direct at times and it seemed to work for a bit, but fairly rapidly reverted back to playing it from side to side and rarely forward. Gladwin seems to have an age on the ball but does nothung with it!

Was looking forward to seeing McKirdy, but he was just a disappointment, did very little apart from getting a stupid booking for basically man handling one player so he could go and shout at another on the floor (who had gone down like a sack of spuds (as they all did) it has to be said). From watching him yesterday and his brief cameo on twitter my conclusion would be that he needs to grow the fuck up.

The Barrow fans playing Bobby Big bollocks is all the more funny for the fact that until they scored they were pretty much silent (TBH the Town support seemed strangely subdued as well), it's a funny old place and very remote and parochial which might explain that?

Oh and what the fuck was happening with the tannoy having to name check each players sponsor whenever they were mentioned 🤣

All in all based on that performance I suspect I will be unable to persuade my father in law to accompany me to any more games this season!

Sent from my SM-A125F
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 13:30:04 »

Watched 'highlights' now and both pens looked pretty clear cut from that view.

On reflection we sort of did have a plan B as we started the second half playing a bit more direct at times and it seemed to work for a bit, but fairly rapidly reverted back to playing it from side to side and rarely forward. Gladwin seems to have an age on the ball but does nothung with it!

Was looking forward to seeing McKirdy, but he was just a disappointment, did very little apart from getting a stupid booking for basically man handling one player so he could go and shout at another on the floor (who had gone down like a sack of spuds (as they all did) it has to be said). From watching him yesterday and his brief cameo on twitter my conclusion would be that he needs to grow the fuck up.

The Barrow fans playing Bobby Big bollocks is all the more funny for the fact that until they scored they were pretty much silent (TBH the Town support seemed strangely subdued as well), it's a funny old place and very remote and parochial which might explain that?

Oh and what the fuck was happening with the tannoy having to name check each players sponsor whenever they were mentioned 🤣

All in all based on that performance I suspect I will be unable to persuade my father in law to accompany me to any more games this season!

Sent from my SM-A125F

It’s Grim up North, even worse in Barrow.
Reminded me of an uninhabited Luton Smiley. Initially Parked the car in a side street, an eerie sense of quietness and depression. Only one other car and thought, “it’s an ambush.”
Changed my mind and parked it outside of the Asda carpark.
Today all about trying to remove any memory of yesterday but I would be lying as I’m still feeling pissed off.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 13:34:51 »

I believe Conroy misses the next 2, Walsall + Exeter.

sent for abusive language

fa website is shit, says suspension ends "26 December" but not whether that's inclusive..

but I think Lou Reed had a date of 11/12 yesterday, so assume it's inclusive

Two games should be applicable, only one game for a "professional foul".  Gladwin could have been sent off for a second yellow.  The standard of football in League 2 has improved over the years, while the standard of refereeing obviously hasn't.  The message to the FA should be if you want the fans' money, provide professional referees.  
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 13:56:20 »

Home (Actually about an hour ago!) (and huge respect to all those who travelled for c.6 hours rather than 30 mins to watch that nonsense), so where to begin...

Positives - I don't live in Barrow.
The pub was very nice and I will probably visit again
To one fellow TEF'ender I am no longer an anonymous northern monkey, nice to meet you @Paolo69 and hopes for next time Ardiles!

Negatives
The weather
The ground (I was more intimate with my immediate neighbours that I have been with anyone for months), it was very crowded!
The pitch
The referee was dreadful, he seemed oblivious to a Barrow tactic which seemed to be control the ball and fall over and invariably win a free kick. The highlight in the second half was when a barrow player slipped over with no one near him and he gave them a free kick. In terms of the pens from the other end, the hand ball seemed harsh but they are invariably given, with the foul it was obvious about 5 seconds before it happened that Gladwin was going to clatter the bloke, it was an incredibly clueless  thing to do. The ref did improve when he went on a booking spree for time-wasting, rather tempered by booking the wrong Barrow player (as far as I could tell) when Williams was clattererd.!

In terms of our players, Gladwin (how the actual fuck did he last 90 mins without being subbed) spent the whole game either receiving the ball facing our goal and passing it backwards or failing to turn round and run into the space which was there (on that topic do our players not talk, the number of times a defender would have the ball and not be told he was being closed down suggested a massive communication problem, in short Gladwin as our driving midfielder has all the penetrative outcome of a flaccid penis.

Conroy is the master of the 5 yard sideways pass, even better if the player he is passing to is already boxed in!

McKirdy did nowt bar winge a lot and like everyone else give the ball away at every opportunity.

Payne ran around a lot but seemed to have the dead ball ability of me.

I see the Garner honeymoon is well and truely over for many, only seen this game in detail so cannot comment hugely, but it was blindingly obvious from 30 mins in that it wasn't working!

Generally it was total dross, from both sides, they just seemed a little bit more streetwise and adept at shithousery!

A final thanks for the STFC Twitter for getting a picture of me looking like I am having the best time ever!

Oh and one final thing, I am not convinced they made a single chance that wasn't the result of an STFC fuck up, we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, more blow our foot off with an elephant gun at every opportunity. The problem with this sort of system is that ball playing centre halves don't tend to stay at this level and much as with previous era's we are playing a system that our personnel don't seem to have the skill set to play.

That's one of the worst away ends I've ever been in.
Very cleverly picked the spot on the terrace that would give the most restricted view.
A young fella collapsed just before the start. First aiders got there eventually. I think he was ok.
Will probably stay in Ulverston next time.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 14:28:04 »

No outstanding sides in this division. We have as good a chance as anyone

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 15:15:21 »

It’s Grim up North, even worse in Barrow.

It was particularly grim yesterday, when we were coming through ulverston on the train  I did comment to my FiL that South lakes was looking particularly bleak and grey!

Albeit I have seen various comments that it was wet and cold, it was most definitely wet but what it wasn't was cold, it was unseasonably warm.

Sent from my SM-A125F
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 15:16:40 »

Two games should be applicable, only one game for a "professional foul".  Gladwin could have been sent off for a second yellow.  The standard of football in League 2 has improved over the years, while the standard of refereeing obviously hasn't.  The message to the FA should be if you want the fans' money, provide professional referees.  

The standard of reffing has got worse. Can presume it's from promotion of officials for VAR but it is terrible
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 16:31:51 »

No outstanding sides in this division. We have as good a chance as anyone

That's normally the way in league 2 with the top three promotion places and plays going to the last few games.

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Sunday, December 12, 2021, 16:56:02 »

That's normally the way in league 2 with the top three promotion places and plays going to the last few games.
Exactly. That's why I don't get the doom,especially after last season

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 09:28:04 »

That's one of the worst away ends I've ever been in.
Very cleverly picked the spot on the terrace that would give the most restricted view.
A young fella collapsed just before the start. First aiders got there eventually. I think he was ok.
Will probably stay in Ulverston next time.

The view was dreadful, from where I was standing I couldn't see either corner flag without shifting to a strange contorted position plus could barely see the goal because of the screen between home and away fans!

TBH if you were to go again (and why on gods green earth would you) I would suggest staying in civilisation like Lancaster.

I see its been kicking off a bit on local social media that in the melee afterwards Town fans were handing out slaps to women and kids?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 09:49:00 »

Is it you who looks really chuffed that his left hand has beaten his right hand playing 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' ?
I can't believe noone commented on this!

I was really chuffed with this post and chuckling for ages after!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: