Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Barrow v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21145 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 18:57:51 »

Home (Actually about an hour ago!) (and huge respect to all those who travelled for c.6 hours rather than 30 mins to watch that nonsense), so where to begin...

Positives - I don't live in Barrow.
The pub was very nice and I will probably visit again
To one fellow TEF'ender I am no longer an anonymous northern monkey, nice to meet you @Paolo69 and hopes for next time Ardiles!

Negatives
The weather
The ground (I was more intimate with my immediate neighbours that I have been with anyone for months), it was very crowded!
The pitch
The referee was dreadful, he seemed oblivious to a Barrow tactic which seemed to be control the ball and fall over and invariably win a free kick. The highlight in the second half was when a barrow player slipped over with no one near him and he gave them a free kick. In terms of the pens from the other end, the hand ball seemed harsh but they are invariably given, with the foul it was obvious about 5 seconds before it happened that Gladwin was going to clatter the bloke, it was an incredibly clueless  thing to do. The ref did improve when he went on a booking spree for time-wasting, rather tempered by booking the wrong Barrow player (as far as I could tell) when Williams was clattererd.!

In terms of our players, Gladwin (how the actual fuck did he last 90 mins without being subbed) spent the whole game either receiving the ball facing our goal and passing it backwards or failing to turn round and run into the space which was there (on that topic do our players not talk, the number of times a defender would have the ball and not be told he was being closed down suggested a massive communication problem, in short Gladwin as our driving midfielder has all the penetrative outcome of a flaccid penis.

Conroy is the master of the 5 yard sideways pass, even better if the player he is passing to is already boxed in!

McKirdy did nowt bar winge a lot and like everyone else give the ball away at every opportunity.

Payne ran around a lot but seemed to have the dead ball ability of me.

I see the Garner honeymoon is well and truely over for many, only seen this game in detail so cannot comment hugely, but it was blindingly obvious from 30 mins in that it wasn't working!

Generally it was total dross, from both sides, they just seemed a little bit more streetwise and adept at shithousery!

A final thanks for the STFC Twitter for getting a picture of me looking like I am having the best time ever!

Oh and one final thing, I am not convinced they made a single chance that wasn't the result of an STFC fuck up, we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, more blow our foot off with an elephant gun at every opportunity. The problem with this sort of system is that ball playing centre halves don't tend to stay at this level and much as with previous era's we are playing a system that our personnel don't seem to have the skill set to play.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 19:10:16 by horlock07 » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 19:04:46 »

Nice photos and fair play to everyone that went today. I hope that our idiots didn't ignite any trouble afterwards as apparently it kicked off.

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 19:13:38 »

Nice photos and fair play to everyone that went today. I hope that our idiots didn't ignite any trouble afterwards as apparently it kicked off.

Did it, the only smoke bomb on the pitch was a blue one, and seeing the steward deal with it (And their keeper run away from it like it was a landmine) was probably the highlight of the game.

It did kick off a bit on the 1719 out of Barrow albeit it was not clear what was going on as there were Barrow and Town fans on the train but the main person involved seemed to be wearing a Leeds shirt!

Honestly until they scored their fans were almost entirely silent!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 19:15:29 »

I read something on the STFC Facebook page where it mentions it kicked off with both sets of fans leaving the ground at the same time.

So, give no fucks
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 19:23:56 »

Home (Actually about an hour ago!) (and huge respect to all those who travelled for c.6 hours rather than 30 mins to watch that nonsense), so where to begin...

Positives - I don't live in Barrow.
The pub was very nice and I will probably visit again
To one fellow TEF'ender I am no longer an anonymous northern monkey, nice to meet you @Paolo69 and hopes for next time Ardiles!

Negatives
The weather
The ground (I was more intimate with my immediate neighbours that I have been with anyone for months), it was very crowded!
The pitch
The referee was dreadful, he seemed oblivious to a Barrow tactic which seemed to be control the ball and fall over and invariably win a free kick. The highlight in the second half was when a barrow player slipped over with no one near him and he gave them a free kick. In terms of the pens from the other end, the hand ball seemed harsh but they are invariably given, with the foul it was obvious about 5 seconds before it happened that Gladwin was going to clatter the bloke, it was an incredibly clueless  thing to do. The ref did improve when he went on a booking spree for time-wasting, rather tempered by booking the wrong Barrow player (as far as I could tell) when Williams was clattererd.!

In terms of our players, Gladwin (how the actual fuck did he last 90 mins without being subbed) spent the whole game either receiving the ball facing our goal and passing it backwards or failing to turn round and run into the space which was there (on that topic do our players not talk, the number of times a defender would have the ball and not be told he was being closed down suggested a massive communication problem, in short Gladwin as our driving midfielder has all the penetrative outcome of a flaccid penis.

Conroy is the master of the 5 yard sideways pass, even better if the player he is passing to is already boxed in!

McKirdy did nowt bar winge a lot and like everyone else give the ball away at every opportunity.

Payne ran around a lot but seemed to have the dead ball ability of me.

I see the Garner honeymoon is well and truely over for many, only seen this game in detail so cannot comment hugely, but it was blindingly obvious from 30 mins in that it wasn't working!

Generally it was total dross, from both sides, they just seemed a little bit more streetwise and adept at shithousery!

A final thanks for the STFC Twitter for getting a picture of me looking like I am having the best time ever!

Oh and one final thing, I am not convinced they made a single chance that wasn't the result of an STFC fuck up, we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, more blow our foot off with an elephant gun at every opportunity. The problem with this sort of system is that ball playing centre halves don't tend to stay at this level and much as with previous era's we are playing a system that our personnel don't seem to have the skill set to play.

Which one are you?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 19:49:03 »

Oh to sum the game up Barrow's keeper looked like a highlighter pen and at the end of the game did not have a speck of mud on him, Iandolo ( who is much taller than I thought he was) looked like he had been mud wrestling!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 20:19:51 »

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to remind us we still have a club.

I'd almost forgotten.

You're welcome, I know some of you older ones on here have spotty memories.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 20:39:09 »

Garner is tactically inept- he only is fixated on one way of playing. At this level you have to have the  ability to mix it up and adapt when needed and he either won’t do this or does not know how to.

Home performances- early on the away teams worked out if they sit deep and press high they will force mistakes- over the home games so far Garner has shown no sign of being able to counter this- he seems to get tactically out schooled by the opposition manager every game.

Away games till recently have been good- however now pitches are bad our style has become harder- again forcing mistakes.

Overall we should be happy to be 7th- more of a worry is Garners inability to mix it up unless we can do this we will struggle especially now the pitches don’t suit our style
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 20:41:38 »

Which one are you?

Beware of the Spartacus syndrome.
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #414 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 21:34:34 »

I read something on the STFC Facebook page where it mentions it kicked off with both sets of fans leaving the ground at the same time.

Kicked off post-match with a few of the Town fans who ran into Barrow fans as they came out of the home end. Town fans seemed to be connected to the strange geezer who got kicked out first half for his bizarre pitch ‘invasion’. Four or five police vans, Town fans scrapping with police and Barrow lads chanting ‘Swindon get battered everywhere they go’. All seemed a bit ridiculous.
daddyo4624

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 21:38:35 »

Re.the Anthony Grant situation.Correct me if I am wrong,but many seasons ago,under the reign of one Bobby Smith,I seem to recall that a certain Chris Kamara a fantastic midfielder for the club,seemed to be out of favour with our manager at the time.
I cannot recall anything at the time to explain this situation,but,I do remember going to the County Ground for an evening kick off,not sure whom we were playing or what the score was,but what I can recall is the Town fans all screaming for Chris to come off the subs bench,cos we were probably not to good on the night.Eventually,he came on to a tremendous roar of approval from the faithful,and the time he was on the pitch,he showed BobbySmith what we had all been missing.
I do not know what is going on now re. Anthony,I do know what he brings to the team,and conditions at Barrow would have probably been better with him than one or other of our midfield. It’s ok if our manager likes younger players,but sometimes,just sometimes you need a bit of bite and guile in the middle,and Anthony is the man.
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #416 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 21:59:25 »

Obviously a disappointing performance today, equally think it’s a joke that a handful of Town fans decided to shout abuse at the players at the end. A couple of bad days at the office, chill the fuck out. Ironically two away defeats could work out in the long run as the lads might realise they now have to step it up at home. COYMR
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 22:05:41 by STFC no2 fan » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 22:08:09 »

Which one are you?

Scarf aloft?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 22:15:22 »

They seem to have a bunch of cocky pricks on their forum, sure they'll turn up en masse for the return fixture.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 22:29:39 »

Been out all afternoon and caught a bit of the post match driving home..a couple of questions for those watching:

-Was Conroy on a yellow or was it a straight red for dissent?
-When summarising the match, Hawes mentioned a ‘significant injury’ to Iandolo in the first half, but Garner doesn’t appear to have been asked about it going off the summary above. What happened there?

Straight Red for dissent and basically for swearing at the Ref.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: