Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26868 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:08:23 »

Reading the Oktoberfest thread reminded me that someone shared a picture of a town fan worse for wear who had puked at his seat. He'll have a head on him today no doubt!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:08:37 »

Social media is here to stay so if you use it rightly or wrongly you’ll be a target for good and bad. I’m only on FB and have seen enough to realise that all the other platforms should be left alone.

Another thing IMHO that plays into those who are happy to be absolute morons on SM is the volume of top level football. I’m sure it skews some people’s minds as to what they should expect at our level of football.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:11:29 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:12:37 »

I may be wrong but i would imagine he is one of the highest goal-scoring teenagers in the country

He is indeed the top scoring teenager in all 4 divisions.

Fantastic progress so far.
Comparisons made with Adebayo on here. I'd say that Simpson was ahead of him at this stage of his development.
Then again Adebayo wasn't always played as the central striker, but I'd say not on a par with Simpson when he did play that position.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:22:38 »

Such a good performance yesterday. Other than a 20/25 odd minute period in the second half, we were head and shoulders above them, playing like the home team, and critically, creating openings that we weren’t 6-7 weeks ago. It was patience with a purpose, as we’d been asking for. And there was a structure - despite criticisms (including from me previously) that the shape was all over the place. It was clearly Reed sitting, Gladwin to his right, Williams to his left, McKirdy playing just off Simpson, so a fairly traditional 3-5-2. Yes, it’s interchangeable, but there was shape.

Iandolo and Williams’ link up play - not just for the first goal but throughout the first half, was very very good. That was the best I’ve seen from Williams since he joined. The back three looked assured, Reed kept us ticking and always made himself available in space. McKirdy just wants to make things happen, and Payne really lifted us when we needed it when he came on - and what a sub to have available. The fact Grant and Lyden can’t make the bench is quite something at this level. Lyden, in particular, I hope we see him come back… Oldham looked so lost, on the pitch and in the stands. It felt like it would have if fans were allowed in at home last year - a club on the edge, and the fans unable to do anything about it (although we eventually managed to….). First visit to Boundary Park, and it is actually a decent ground… it’s just felt soulless and full of the last remaining fans that felt they had to be there, like the core 4.5k we get when we’re down to the bones.

I was surprised to see Simpson’s tweets. I hope he realises that there was substantially more people singing his name in the stand, and even more at sat at home, and an absolute fraction that send him
unjustified criticism. He took his goals well, and (from my view at least) actually scored 3 goals….
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:28:34 by Frigby Daser » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:27:21 »

I took a more than average look at the way Oldham set up and played yesterday. To me, it was very much like most sides that have visited the CG as the away team this season.

So why doesn’t that level of our performance translate into home wins?

Has me baffled.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:27:30 »

Let's stop fannying around. Simpson was poor for 60 minutes. And took his goals well thereafter, and his game came more alive too.

A sort of mini reflection of his season really.  Good one game, less so the next

A 19 year old in his first season, learning his trade against seasoned pros. Exactly as expect, and probably exceeding expectations really.

Bags of potential.

As I've said and has been mentioned, he shouldn't be the only recognised centre forward at the club.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:33:12 »

That genuinely surprises me, I don't think I have seen any hate of Simpson expressed anywhere on here or Facebook etc, just a few expressing some doubts about him. Interesting.

I don't think anyone has said they hate him, however I have seen more than a few comments saying he's shit & should be dropped.

I think the term "Haters" is just terminology for somebody being negative towards him (or anyone else)
Crackity Jones

« Reply #412 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:34:48 »

Doubters, yes. Haters, not really.
I think he's done a superb job since being here. Yes, he can have a bad game but so do most from time to time. Tough job being a striker.
I also think "hate" is over the top. I haven't seen anything like that but I don't do a lot of social media so could have missed it. Being critical of a player's performance (not singling Simpson out here) in a game doesn't equal hate; although that stretch is often made on t'internet. Similar criticism of Iandolo has also somehow been extrapolated to hate.

As for Simpson  he has great games, good games, average games and poor games. No surprises there - he is in his first pro season in league 2 and is 19. If he was knocking it out the park week in, week out he would be in the Ipswich first team rather than with us.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:40:35 »

If he was knocking it out the park week in, week out he would be in the Ipswich first team rather than with us.

... and would likely disappear back to Ipswich in January, Doyle-style

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:43:40 »

I also think "hate" is over the top. I haven't seen anything like that but I don't do a lot of social media so could have missed it. Being critical of a player's performance (not singling Simpson out here) in a game doesn't equal hate; although that stretch is often made on t'internet. Similar criticism of Iandolo has also somehow been extrapolated to hate.

As for Simpson  he has great games, good games, average games and poor games. No surprises there - he is in his first pro season in league 2 and is 19. If he was knocking it out the park week in, week out he would be in the Ipswich first team rather than with us.
I'm not sure anyone 'hates' him either.

He is good at some things and bad at others. He's a handful for defenders at times, but his size and awkwardness often results in giving away free kicks. He'll get better and will have a decent career.

We need another player like him to give competition and occasional rest.

What I saw yesterday was 70 mins where nothing happened or worked for him; a lucky miscontrol and well taken goal; a disallowed goal where he was in the right place at the right time unmarked; a growth in confidence; an undisputed charge on goal and cool finish.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #415 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:44:27 »

Let's stop fannying around. Simpson was poor for 60 minutes. And took his goals well thereafter, and his game came more alive too.

A sort of mini reflection of his season really.  Good one game, less so the next

A 19 year old in his first season, learning his trade against seasoned pros. Exactly as expect, and probably exceeding expectations really.

Bags of potential.

As I've said and has been mentioned, he shouldn't be the only recognised centre forward at the club.
But yesterday he did hold the ball up well and bring others into play and made the runs but was not found. By poor do you mean the chances he missed because that's where i find the unfair criticism comes in. McKirdy missed as many chances yesterday and against Rochdale was even worse.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #416 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:46:45 »

Anyway it doesn't matter it was another great 3 points. Be nice to see a few of the fringe players against Crewe
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:48:58 »

Quote from: Shrivvy Road
Anyway it doesn't matter it was another great 3 points. Be nice to see a few of the fringe players against Crewe

yup. brilliant 3 points.

I hope Grant and lyden after involved.

But it can be a money spinner so if he plays the strongest team I can see why
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:52:57 »

But yesterday he did hold the ball up well and bring others into play and made the runs but was not found. By poor do you mean the chances he missed because that's where i find the unfair criticism comes in. McKirdy missed as many chances yesterday and against Rochdale was even worse.
just my opinion like, thought his touch was off again. Found it hard to be influential. And yes, he should be taking the clear cut chance, though he was unlucky with the one cleared off the line

fwiw - I also said mckirdy should have done better with his 2 first half chances too.

like you say, it doesn't matter.

besides, football fans disagreeing over football is how it should be!
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #419 on: Sunday, October 31, 2021, 12:56:56 »

just my opinion like, thought his touch was off again. Found it hard to be influential. And yes, he should be taking the clear cut chance, though he was unlucky with the one cleared off the line

fwiw - I also said mckirdy should have done better with his 2 first half chances too.

like you say, it doesn't matter.

besides, football fans disagreeing over football is how it should be!
100 percent agree, i think what a few people miss on here is how much is also done on Social media though that was my gripe about it. Sometimes you can make an observation about something  and post it on here but people get defensive and assume you either mean them or will say well i have not seen that on here.  My main point was he does get absolute pelters online
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: