Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sutton v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20265 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 13:41:49 »

Going to have to shuffle the pack tonight.
Leaving by train shortly.

That implies to me that Conroy might be out of action?
Hope not.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 13:44:01 »

If he was injured on Sat I would rather he be rested than get a game like his second half out of him.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 13:52:03 »

If he was injured on Sat I would rather he be rested than get a game like his second half out of him.
Definately.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 14:13:34 »

I had to google this extremely carefully as it was only a recollection but...

Young Boys play CL games at the Wankedoff on an artificial pitch, hope my google history has survived that!

Don't know where googling Wankedoff Young Boys took you, but the stadium is the much more innocently named Wankdorf.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 14:38:02 »

If you go down to National league level there are 17 clubs within 20 miles and probably another 5 or 6 if you got a few miles further.

Arsenal, Brentford, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Tottenham, Watford, West Ham, Fulham, Millwall, QPR,
Charlton, Wimbledon, Orient, Crawley, Boreham Wood, Dagenham, Bromley

Wycombe, Woking, Barnet, Maidenhead, Wealdstone, Gillingham(ish).

Whereas Swindon have Bristol Rovers, Bristol City, Oxford, Reading, Cheltenham and FGR within 40 miles and none of them closer than 28 miles away (FGR).

Just amazing of the support...even college football normally doesnt have schools that close that will get massive support like the premier teams...in my home state another university wanted to go Division 1 (highest level) they were told they could if they dropped their football program.  We dont want to split loyalties of the supporters in our small population state

Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:09:43 »

For Godd02 - the USA equivalent is College football - there are a group of very well supported big Colleges who bring in huge crowds, but there are hundreds just below them with <10k rocking up because they are less invested in the team and "fans" have a big College not too far away.  I'm off this weekend to watch University of West Georgia with a few thousand others (my daughter goes to the College and invited us).  UWG is only 30 miles from Georgia Tech, Georgia State and in the orbit of Georgia Bulldogs and Alabama.

Sutton probably have 20+ clubs at their level or close to it within 20 miles of them.

that looks like a very nice town and school....once my time is done in kansas, i am looking at moving to a smaller town with a smaller university in Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, etc...that area in general...i miss the smaller towns and I grew up in a college town so i miss that.  i want to be able to support a smaller school's teams.

unless the Swindon Area needs a Chemistry and English teachers  Grin
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:15:01 by Godd002 » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:24:41 »

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2021/october/garner-on-team-selection-for-sutton/?fbclid=IwAR3gLMZ5IdyHYMfBnZ3tiy4FqekjpZQg2vTruMc2-2LG2TrvfP-_qe7bonk

Garner suggest Grant is back with the squad (implying he wasn't available at the weekend?) and everyone, including Lyden is fit. We shall see!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:25:34 »

Phew, made it to Sutton after successfully negotiating Clapham Junction station.
Could try searching for 23 Railway Cuttings in East Cheam (one for the oldsters & maybe not so old), but a couple more hours of valuable drinking time has won the day.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:27:12 »

Phew, made it to Sutton after successfully negotiating Clapham Junction station.
Could try searching for 23 Railway Cuttings in East Cheam (one for the oldsters & maybe not so old), but a couple more hours of valuable drinking time has won the day.

You're quite the quiz polymath. Hancock?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:29:32 »

It would have taken more than half an hour to find it. Smiley
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:34:20 »

You're quite the quiz polymath. Hancock?

Yes. Before my time I'll hasten to add but a comic genius with demons lost far too soon.

Just noticed that Sutton play in yellow which makes it easier to not fall into the trap of looking at them as cuddly non-leaguers.
They are here on merit and making a good job of it.

Crap!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:36:29 »

It would have taken more than half an hour to find it. Smiley

Yes, very good.

Crap!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:41:53 »

The one thing that's fairly unique about the English league system is how far down the pyramid you can go and find teams who are still a) professional and b) reasonably well supported.

I was just looking at the conference premier and wondering how many, if any of those teams are semi pro. Gotta be at least two thirds fully professional.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:45:11 »

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2021/october/garner-on-team-selection-for-sutton/?fbclid=IwAR3gLMZ5IdyHYMfBnZ3tiy4FqekjpZQg2vTruMc2-2LG2TrvfP-_qe7bonk

Garner suggest Grant is back with the squad (implying he wasn't available at the weekend?) and everyone, including Lyden is fit. We shall see!
No implication needed. Grant played for Jamaica last Thursday.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:58:48 »

Flew home Friday night/Saturday morning

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: