Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Rochdale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 24582 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:27:31 »

Quote from: Shrivvy Road
There are plenty of others making him one, my comment was a generic comment not aimed at anyone individual

sorry, I had said the things you highlighted!

I reckon he could be quite some player in 4 or 5 seasons. I'm not sure he's ever going to be prolific, but there are plenty of good forwards who aren't.

I do think Garner dropped a bollock with 1 too many midfielders and one too few strikers though.

But given we are 6th, it could be worse Smiley
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 15:30:31 »

Simpson should have a useful footballing career at championship level (or higher).

Nothing to see here
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 19:28:20 »

So the intricate passing from left to right and back again in the build up to move a packed defence about followed  by Iandolo and Gladwin to change the angle, a cross to the back post where KKH had overloaded, exactly what he was bought on to do i suspect, had nothing to do with it.

Hardly a hopefull punt in to the box. Still just another view
It's a strange form of amnesia that plagues some of our fans

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 19:36:30 »

I do like Iandolo but imagine Donohue getting into the same positions and whipping in decent crosses

Sent from my CLT-L09

NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 21:17:26 »

Yesterday was a bit mixed - we controlled the first half and should have been more than 1-0 ahead.
Rochdale changed their system at half time - pressed higher and we didn’t deal with it. I heard Garner’s post match interview on the car radio afterwards and thought he was spot on.
Both goals conceded were poor play - Critchlow gave the ball away and we were slow to recover for the first, Payne and 2 or 3 others watched the score shot on the second goal instead of challenging him / blocking the shot.
It’s good we built pressure and scored a late equaliser- a well worked build up, and could have won with late pressure.
Williams coming on brought some additional drive - I would have brought him or Gilbert on for McKirdy (rather than JML) - and his pace has a big impact late in the game. If McKirdy had scored as he should have when through one on one (Simpson was slaughtered on here for missing a one on one a few games ago) we would have won the game.
I agree with those who thought Ward was less comfortable kicking than Woolacott, which is important the way we play.
Talk about home form being poor in my view isn’t accurate -  we could and should have beaten Rochdale, Colchester and Tranmere on the balance of play / chances. The results haven’t matched performances in my view.
We have a young side with some good players and we need to get behind them and Garner, not be constantly on their backs.

PS I’d take a draw on Tuesday at Sutton, as they are going well at the moment.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Sunday, October 17, 2021, 21:43:00 »

Quote from: Benzel
I do like Iandolo but imagine Donohue getting into the same positions and whipping in decent crosses

As I think Rob mentioned earlier, my memory of Iandolo earlier in his time here was that he could whip a really good cross in.

not sure what's happened. me and forgetfulness, it him and his cross quality degrading
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 09:33:32 »

Simpson should have a useful footballing career at championship level (or higher).

Its quite a big statement based on not a lot at the moment. he could equally be playing conference.

As with most in the league he comes across hot and cold, cold is sometimes a handful of touches. Definitely not seen enough of his shooting ability yet to see if he will make it as a consistent goalscorer. Age is definitely on his side and will be interesting to keep an eye on. I wrote off Adebayo quick enough so based on that he will probably make it!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 10:24:44 »

Havent read back.

Would of been a travesty if we had lost that!

as usual i was in the TE but could still see that the goals conceded were terrible. Stand and watch.

Great equaliser and i asked the keeper how his leg was soon after.

Clems Army!
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 10:24:59 »

Its quite a big statement based on not a lot at the moment.

It may be but that's how I see it. Time will tell.

Nothing to see here
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 10:38:19 »

Simpson will get double figures this season.

Sent from my CLT-L09

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 12:52:10 »

Simpson will get double figures this season.

Sent from my CLT-L09

He bloody better do.  Smiley

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 12:56:17 »

Its quite a big statement based on not a lot at the moment. he could equally be playing conference.

As with most in the league he comes across hot and cold, cold is sometimes a handful of touches. Definitely not seen enough of his shooting ability yet to see if he will make it as a consistent goalscorer. Age is definitely on his side and will be interesting to keep an eye on. I wrote off Adebayo quick enough so based on that he will probably make it!

Many strikers put you writing them off on their CV.  Wink

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 13:08:43 »

Many strikers put you writing them off on their CV.  Wink

Sad The issue is they leave swindon and get better. i need to find a swindon player that we will keep and prove me wrong.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #388 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 17:29:10 »

I have faith that Simpson will get much better than where he currently is, hes only had about a dozen 1st team games so far and has shown loads of promise, I wish he was ours and not Ipswich's player.

He is a typical 19 year old, 1 good game often followed by 1 poor game, that doesnt make him a bad player it means that sometimes he just isn't consistant enough.

He does need to learn to jump though as often he seems to time his jumps so that he is way off where he should be, that will come with time and good coaching.

He often as well leads with his arms and you can't do that with modern refs, Wayne Allison used to do it all the time and it was acceptable back then as the refs rarely gave fouls for that, now a ref will give the defender the benefit 9 out of every 10 times.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 19:42:29 »

I don't think he has any desire, whatsoever, to learn how to head the ball in the situations being discussed.  The way of football these days means it's probably never even coached that way either.  His desire is to have balls in at feet or the body, feel the defender and turn them or hold up and lay off.  He prefers the ball down the side of the defender where he can use his pace.

If my fear is true, then what he does need some coaching on is how to be a pest at least.  Not go up for the header but find a way of ensuring the defender has no control in clearing the ball when those high clearances come his way.  He is never going to want to be a Wayne Allison type.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: