Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Port Vale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22775 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 16:19:25 »

I’m not sure that’s the issue. I think we are capable of playing that way to a certain extent / standard.

The issues arise when the opposition counter that by pressing us hard. We stubbornly stick to our play and seemingly have no plan / room for manoeuvre.

In this league you are probably better off being 65% good on the ball and 35% good at the more agricultural style of play than being 100% & 0% respectively
That’s what I mean though, we’ve got a team that that are almost 100% focused on playing the ball and we seem to have forgotten about the fact we also need players that can break up play and win the ball back. I would argue that even our centre backs aren’t great actual defenders, their main attributes are being relatively comfortable with the ball and defending comes second.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 16:32:33 »

Garner:
- Fair scoreline
- They did what they do very well
- We didn't compete well enough
- We had 3 opportunities to clear the second goal
- Passing only had fluency in spells.
- We were a little flat for the first time this season
- Didn't have the normal zip. There were spells but they werent long enough
- No signs of flatness in training
- Everyone got what they needed in mid week
- Will assess his selection and review as a team
- Gladwin: Thought there were spaces in their shape we could exploit
- Expected us to dominate more
- Will review with staff first and then with the players after
- Simpson's was a brilliant goal
- Even in first half we created chances
- Did really well at the beginning of the second half
- Didnt win first or second balls giving away throw ins which lost momentum and put pressure on us
- Should have come away with a point and not lost
- Execution and decision making wasn't always there. We were often a little cautious
- Not a bad performance, just a below par one
- Aguiar and McKirdy: Both injured. McKirdy has a problem with a quad. Has had a week's rest. Aguiar turned his ankle.
- Grant: Quarantine will mean he misses Northampton next week. Frustrating that he will miss 4 games

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 16:37:21 »

can't argue with the result. They were better than us. We were sloppy and off the pace.

We have to work on what to do when being pressed, starting from goal kicks. Teams realise we try to walk it out from the back.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 16:38:37 »

Gilbert:
- One of those days. You have days like that as a player
- Hoped to push on and get a second goal. Felt like it was coming
- Loved it here so far
- Style: Attraction in coming here. Want to try to play football.
- Sees himself as a 10 but can be an out and out striker, but different to Simpson
- Aware of Garner from WBA, but didn't come into contact with him
- Went into pre-season with the first team, but thought a loan was best to get regular games.
- Showed glimpses of what he can do today. Hopefully more to come.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 16:49:51 »

I’m not sure that’s the issue. I think we are capable of playing that way to a certain extent / standard.

The issues arise when the opposition counter that by pressing us hard. We stubbornly stick to our play and seemingly have no plan / room for manoeuvre.

In this league you are probably better off being 65% good on the ball and 35% good at the more agricultural style of play than being 100% & 0% respectively

That's what Woolery gave us under Wellens. We could pass through teams or counter by hitting him direct depending on how sides matched up against us. We don't have that double threat currently.

Would prefer to see us play 3412 with an extra centre back to solidify it at the back to allow KKH to play further forward to maximise his attacking threat, then Gilbert closer to Simpson as he is pretty isolated at times. That said, if Grant was there today we may have had a different result.

Lots to like about our style of play and recruitment though, even if it has its flaws at the minute.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 17:00:15 by Boeta » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 16:58:48 »

When we attacked with intent we scored. We are a good side just wished we'd be more aggressive up front. Simpson was MOM easily. Getting better each game.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 17:06:59 »

Out thought, out fought and for the first half out classed, thought we were up against a Prem side the way we looked so slow and pedestrian with no urgency at all.

Let’s hope we can somehow get some support up front with Simpson who is busting a gut on his own up there.
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 17:38:08 »

Just back, and read through the post mortem. Agree PV deserved to win, they won far more headers and 2nd balls and pressed us really well. 1st half we were miles off; lucky to be only 1-0 down. Problem was in midfield; they pressed us really well, we resorted to longer game and they had the beating of us in Midfield. Think Gladwin was playing the Grant role, just not as good at it. Didn't think Gladwin was as bad as some are saying; he did fight for the ball but the rest of the midfield was overwhelmed. The biggest problem with our shape was the 2 full backs, they were on the touchline and we didn't use them; so they were out of the game. 2nd half much better, if Simpson scored with that great curling shot I think we go on to win. I actually quite enjoyed the 2nd half, better quality football in general than I remember from League 2 last time. All 3 goals were well taken. Simpson deserved MoM for me.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:07:56 »

I didn't see what happened to Critchlow at the time but I hope the guy doesn't get away with it....

https://twitter.com/jiff1967/status/1436699042730455043?s=20

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:10:25 »

It seems Garner’s game plan is to do fuck all in the first half - we’ve scored 1 goal in the first half of games so far - hoping the opposition will tire themselves so in the second half we can try and get somewhere with the fanny football.

For huge swathes of games it’s turgid shit to watch - alleviated by a couple of fine, silky passing moves.

Those Carlisle commentators might have been twats but they were right about one thing. A team will struggle to get out of L2 playing a style that we are attempting.

I’m losing patience with it already.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:16:50 »

It seems Garner’s game plan is to do fuck all in the first half - we’ve scored 1 goal in the first half of games so far - hoping the opposition will tire themselves so in the second half we can try and get somewhere with the fanny football.

For huge swathes of games it’s turgid shit to watch - alleviated by a couple of fine, silky passing moves.

Those Carlisle commentators might have been twats but they were right about one thing. A team will struggle to get out of L2 playing a style that we are attempting.

I’m losing patience with it already.
I'll tell you what then - let's have Power and Sheridan back!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:21:22 »

That’s ridiculous. The football Wellens got us playing was far superior to what we’ve witnessed so far. Just because we’ve been brought back from the brink doesn’t mean Garner should get carte blanche. He’s been given a free rein over recruitment and style and, personally, it’s watching behind the sofa stuff. Waiting for the cock ups. Just like Luke Williams.

Others may like it but it’s just not for me.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:22:25 »

We are 7th in the league? You’re talking like we are bottom. Jesus Christ.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:24:24 »

I'll tell you what then - let's have Power and Sheridan back!
That’s not the point he’s making, you can’t just keep using the Sheridan & Power argument anytime someone criticises the current set-up, they can’t be immune to criticism just because they are an ‘improvement’. For years we’ve been critical of Luke Williams when he was in charge and at the moment the way we play is almost a carbon copy, hopefully Garner has more about him and can adjust where necessary.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:25:16 »

233 away fans. Embarrassing. I expect Harrogate will beat that. Mind you Vale don't get many at home either.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: