Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stats  (Read 19215 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #90 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 09:56:31 »

I can remember being in the pub with Sid Sellers and friends after the Sunderland play off final in 1990 and Kammy walked in. The place erupted!
Funny enough I was speaking to Sid only last week about Town stuff, hes a good lad.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 13:01:22 »

Funny enough I was speaking to Sid only last week about Town stuff, hes a good lad.

He's a really nice guy JJ isnhe still Roofing

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #92 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 13:07:36 »

He's a really nice guy JJ isnhe still Roofing
Yes mate he is, worked with him back in 82, seems a whole lifetime ago now. at 16 he was the first (mostly) Pompey fan I ever met!

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 13:08:45 »

He's doing well to sustain Roofing at our age! Dukey knows him as well😀

So, give no fucks
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 13:22:35 »

Depends what the facts are though. Classic example of a stat not really telling us much, relative to the point made (implication that we don’t shoot when maybe we should).

All we get from that stat is that on average, our shots are taken further away than other teams. What we’d really want to see is how many shots we take relative to everyone else and the distribution of those shots by distance. My hunch would be that although our average distance is higher, the volume of shots is about the same/lower than most teams, meaning that a higher proportion of shots are taken from distance than closer to goal /in the “danger zone” where statistically you’re more likely to score.

Obviously it’s not hampered us too much so far with the likes of Gladwin,Williams and Reed capable from distance.

That stat in isolation doesn’t prove that we are any more or less shoot on sight than any other team though.

Sorry to get boring on everyone for a moment.

All excellent points, type, location and game state also massively important. For example, counter attacking finishes 1v1 against the ‘keeper are frequently better chance than closer in shots through a host of bodies. Headers also. A six-yard header is a decent chance but 10, 12? You might as well give up. Similarly was it a desperation effort when a team is 3-0 down in the 90th minute? Was it central or from the corner flag? Did a couple of 30 yarders distort the data? Could easily happen.

It is good to see that most people are being careful with this kind of aggregate data but you are right to remind people of its limitations as well as its uses.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 13:30:55 »

Depends what the facts are though. Classic example of a stat not really telling us much, relative to the point made (implication that we don’t shoot when maybe we should).

All we get from that stat is that on average, our shots are taken further away than other teams. What we’d really want to see is how many shots we take relative to everyone else and the distribution of those shots by distance. My hunch would be that although our average distance is higher, the volume of shots is about the same/lower than most teams, meaning that a higher proportion of shots are taken from distance than closer to goal /in the “danger zone” where statistically you’re more likely to score.

Obviously it’s not hampered us too much so far with the likes of Gladwin,Williams and Reed capable from distance.

That stat in isolation doesn’t prove that we are any more or less shoot on sight than any other team though.

Sorry to get boring on everyone for a moment.
Boring cunt
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 21:49:35 »

Boring cunt

Clap Clap
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 22:18:26 »

He's doing well to sustain Roofing at our age! Dukey knows him as well😀

Cracking lad.
Gave up playing Pool a few years back Sad
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 19:16:55 »

League Two Passing Accuracy (Minimum Ten Starts):

one L. Reed - 86.8%
two D. Conroy - 86.6%
three R. Hunt - 85.6%
four A. Odimayo - 85.6%
five N. Featherstone - 85%
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 09:54:03 »

Very interesting statistics, given how much flak Odimayo in particular, but all our players get during matches for inaccurate passing!@
Crackity Jones

« Reply #100 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 10:20:41 »

I suspect the stats are heavily skewed by passing short distance s across the back to each other when under no pressure. I think they are likely a good reflection on our style of play.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #101 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 10:30:42 »

Very interesting statistics, given how much flak Odimayo in particular, but all our players get during matches for inaccurate passing!@
Mayos short passing has been excellent, his long passing far less so, when it works its brilliant but its still very hit and miss for distances, similar with Conroy too who often tries a few more of the "Hollywood passes" which if you count just those long passes then the figures will be massively different.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #102 on: Saturday, December 4, 2021, 11:17:11 »

I see that Louis Reed has completed 1,101 passes which is 131 passes more than the next player in the L2 list.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Monday, January 17, 2022, 15:47:22 »

Wow! Would never have thought that.

* D0409C3F-9107-4192-A5D4-B523B2429513.jpeg (330.04 KB, 1088x1088 - viewed 239 times.)
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, January 17, 2022, 20:17:32 »

Thats amazing Aud! Although I've just checked, and make it 199, so they are including PO games maybe? (or my maths is shite) Being yo yo and in POs must have helped, and the 29 wins in 2011/12 was a good start to that particular period that they've chosen. Either way, should cheer us all up. We've seen more wins than pretty much anyone in last 10 years (exclude the obvious PL glory boys and we're one of only 4 proper clubs in the list!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: