Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Final: England v Italy  (Read 23650 times)
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:07:32 »

Gutted but proud of the fact we've made a major final. Becks, Lampard, Gerrard etc never even made it to a semi final. We're on to a good thing with Southgate I think. Yes a little negative at times but he's an intelligent bloke. We did a few things differently in this tournament from Russia 2018 which benefited us. Hopefully he will continue to learn and we can take the next step of winning something. France lost the Euro 2016 final at home and then won the WC two years later so it's not out of the question.

Get behind the young squad - they should all be that bit better by the time Qatar rolls around and although last night was painful, should hopefully prove beneficial in the long run.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #196 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:22:26 »

My main concern for this squad is what measures will Southgate take to get us to that extra level. I was looking through those players this morning and i just don't see how he incorporates those players with his football mentalioty. It isn't a pop at him whatsoever because it has taken us this far but in a world cup theres twice as much quality and sitting back for so long . I know it is all what ifs but people like Guardiola would get more out of this talented bunch. Wouldn't they?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:28:45 »

My main concern for this squad is what measures will Southgate take to get us to that extra level. I was looking through those players this morning and i just don't see how he incorporates those players with his football mentalioty. It isn't a pop at him whatsoever because it has taken us this far but in a world cup theres twice as much quality and sitting back for so long . I know it is all what ifs but people like Guardiola would get more out of this talented bunch. Wouldn't they?

On another forum I likened it to Chelsea this season in reverse.
Lampard got them attacking and pressing well but couldn’t sort out their leaky defence. Tuchel came in and sorted that. With Lampard attacking players and attacking strategies with Tuchels defensive nous - CL winners were created.

In reverse would England do better with Lampards attacking strategies but with Southgates solidness still there?

Would having joint managers help/work?

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:33:47 »

I really enjoyed the tournament and watched nearly all the games played. Our boys were brilliant. A unified squad guided superbly by the manager, and to make the final was a fine achievement. I think they all were great. Everyone of them. No need to dissect the performance last night. It was just unlucky. Someone had to lose. Shame loads of English morons have to ruin things as usual.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:39:10 »

I don't really know, we do seem to slightly lack the ability to up a gear, last night it was noticeable that once Italy got on top of us we struggled to get the upper hand again.

Looking at the stats, our W,D,L in the tournament was exactly the same as Italy, albeit they probably had a harder bunch of games, likewise we were the 4th highest scorers,  with the fewest goals against and the most clean sheets.

There is definitely the foundations of a very good team to work with there, and a very young one at that.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #200 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:45:42 »

On another forum I likened it to Chelsea this season in reverse.
Lampard got them attacking and pressing well but couldn’t sort out their leaky defence. Tuchel came in and sorted that. With Lampard attacking players and attacking strategies with Tuchels defensive nous - CL winners were created.

In reverse would England do better with Lampards attacking strategies but with Southgates solidness still there?

Would having joint managers help/work?
Yeah i think you are right mate it's tough isn't it.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:51:30 »

Southgate's cautiousness is the one major weakness of this team, but then you have to wonder if we'd have gotten as far if we didn't play two holdings DMs. My one criticism of Southgate is that he waits too long to change things up. Mancini showed last night how to change your tactics to counter your opponent. There were a few games (Scotland, Denmark) where one of Rice or Phillips could've been swapped for Grealish/Sancho/Foden much earlier.

I think the squad is one more goalscorer away from really being able to challenge at a World Cup. There's too much reliance on Kane as the focal point of the team and Rashford or Calvert-Lewin aren't quite at the standard.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 14:52:49 »

Disappointing not to win in the end but what a journey. A team to be proud of.

It is a young squad and to me it feels like this team is capable of going pretty deep into the next 3 or 4 tournaments.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 15:26:39 »

Disappointing not to win in the end but what a journey. A team to be proud of.

It is a young squad and to me it feels like this team is capable of going pretty deep into the next 3 or 4 tournaments.
And to be fair Italy couldn't beat us in 120 minutes of football and only beat us by one penalty, if they are world beaters we're in with a chance !!!

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 15:36:32 »

Disappointed with the result, but expected it.

Some good performances on the day, but some not so good too.

Very disappointed with the behaviour of some 'fans' pre and post match.

I'd like to move on now please.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 16:14:41 »

I don’t thing England necessarily choose to sit deep. Italy just pushed us back. It was possibly the right decision to be compact and not lose the game.
However, once Chiesa went off - that was when we should have opened the game up. He was by far and away Italy’s main threat. All their attacks came through him.

We definitely should have gone for it in extra time. It was there to be won in that window imo.

No clue on the process behind picking penalty takers. Do they volunteer? Does Southgate pick his best 5 from training? It was strange to put two players on for a minute to take penalties. Even with the best warm up they aren’t in the game and haven’t had touches of the ball. If they’d played the last 15 would that have made a difference either to the result in extra time or their penalties?

A lot of people questioning why the more experienced players didn’t take the penalties but when you think about the only really experienced players on the pitch who didn’t take one were Sterling & Stones!
100% agree

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 16:51:24 »

In extra time we should have brought on all of the flair players and attacked them which would have relieved the pressure on the defence

So, give no fucks
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 21:20:06 »

And a quote from our own Berniman makes the Indy's coverage of Danny Baker's miserabilist views on Southgate.

https://www.indy100.com/celebrities/danny-baker-twitter-england-italy-b1882452?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=Feed

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 21:28:10 »

And a quote from our own Berniman makes the Indy's coverage of Danny Baker's miserabilist views on Southgate.

https://www.indy100.com/celebrities/danny-baker-twitter-england-italy-b1882452?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=Feed

Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me. Well said Bernieman.
Flashheart

« Reply #209 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 22:19:40 »

Fair play Berniman.

I think I'd have just called him a fat cunt.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: