Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Final: England v Italy  (Read 23645 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 12:08:40 »

Apparently only I can do these...

I'm not nervous yet. Right now I know that even if we lose, this is the best performance from an England team at a tournament in my lifetime and it's built on great foundations which should mean we have a good chance in the future.

I'm sure by Sunday it'll be death or glory.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 12:11:45 »

Dead right Nemo.

ust be the oldest
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 12:22:20 »

A lot of the foreign press appear to think we have been lucky with home games and decisions. They can go fuck themselves. We crushed Ukraine in our game away from Wembley. As for decisions, we've not been given one blindingly obvious wrong one.
Sunday will be tough with the Italians being favourites I'd imagine.
However it goes this group has done the country and themselves proud. I've got enough room for a bit more pride though should we win.
I'm not nervous yet as we are where we deserve to be. I'm quite chilled as whichever way it goes we've done well. And I'll forget all that on Sunday when I'll be on the piss and the adrenalin starts pumping.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 12:28:16 »

The home game thing is grating on me. Every major tournament one team is at home for the whole thing. What’s the difference?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 13:12:14 »

Smug Fuck Off
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 13:28:50 »

The home game thing is grating on me. Every major tournament one team is at home for the whole thing. What’s the difference?

I agree, however.....

You know as well as I do, if the boot were on the other shoe and say Scotland were in the final having played most of their games at Hampden whilst other teams had traipsed about round Europe, much of our support and media would be making exactly the same point at great length.

Similarly with the penalty against Denmark, it was given and that's that, however should the boot have been on the other foot the whinging from England fans would have been long, loud and equally tin pot and pathetic.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 14:01:31 »

Poster of the tournament - Nemo.

I'm just still delighted we beat Germany. Getting to the final is an incredible effort. Arise Sir Gareth Fucking Southgate. 13 year old me forgives you for the penalty miss in '96.
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 14:19:43 »

Apparently only I can do these...

I'm not nervous yet. Right now I know that even if we lose, this is the best performance from an England team at a tournament in my lifetime and it's built on great foundations which should mean we have a good chance in the future.

I'm sure by Sunday it'll be death or glory.

Superstition... You've been a good omen Nemo!!  Pint

Now, ain't that just like me?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 14:26:24 »

Quote from: Nemo

you're right
but you're wrong.

finals are even hard for good sides to get to. Ask Belgium.

Let's finish this thing.

"There are a quarter of a million Italians in Britain and they'll be made to suffer"
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 14:28:00 »

Thoughts on Monday being a Bank Holiday?

Now, ain't that just like me?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 14:30:23 »

"There are a quarter of a million Italians in Britain and they'll be made to suffer"

What from the hangovers from celebrating.... Wink Cheesy

I have seen certain schools suggesting kids won't have to be in till 10.30 on Monday, albeit nothing from ours.

However, all changed anyway as got to the the young 'un to the dentist for 10.40 on Monday morning so she will be off in the morning anyway!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 14:51:21 »

We're closing the business for the day.

Shame I've got a wife that's 34 weeks pregnant so I can't get shitfaced.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 15:26:00 »

Home advantage has been key in this tournament. All 4 teams who got to the semis all played their 3 group games at home. I don’t think having more fans behind you is a massive advantage (even though it does help). It’s more the travel and commuting which is a pain as teams who played all 3 group games at home had more time to recover.

Overall the quality and standard of football in this tournament has been poor in comparison to prior tournaments. I think the travelling has been a major part of this as well as Covid.

Hopefully the standard will improve for the world cup next year.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 15:36:07 »

Yes we had a very favourable draw - both with lack of travel and the teams we played. Yes, we had the rub of the green on a couple of occasions. But, I think you make your own luck. I also think that we have been solid across the team and replacements coming in have not weakened the starting 11.

I don't think we have had stand out performers (like a Ronaldo or Modric) but haven't needed them. The team has worked for eachother.

I think Italy have done something similar. However, I think they have that bit of extra star quality and may unfortunately produce a single moment of magic that will unlock the final. I hope not, as I would love to see England win - obviously. But an England win or Swindon stay up ? I know what I want more!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Hunk

« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 15:39:27 »

Nah. Good opportunity for businesses to paint themselves in a good light and show some flexibility, however
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: