Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Final: England v Italy  (Read 23644 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:08:52 »

Well done on getting to the final, gutted for the lads who missed penalties.
Thought the subs were a bit strange - saka as right attacker is good, but he was clearly told to track Emerson, you could see he was torn each time the Italians had the ball.
There didn't seem to be a plan to do something different from attacking set pieces as Chiellini and Bonucci were dominant in the air.
Thought the ref and lack of VAR was strange all game. The Jorginho yellow i thought could easily have been a red and there was definitely contact with Sterling in the penalty area.

Anyway, easy (and fun!) to play retrospective FM, just seemed one game too far and there are definitely things to build on going forwards

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:10:55 »

I don’t thing England necessarily choose to sit deep. Italy just pushed us back. It was possibly the right decision to be compact and not lose the game.
However, once Chiesa went off - that was when we should have opened the game up. He was by far and away Italy’s main threat. All their attacks came through him.

We definitely should have gone for it in extra time. It was there to be won in that window imo.

No clue on the process behind picking penalty takers. Do they volunteer? Does Southgate pick his best 5 from training? It was strange to put two players on for a minute to take penalties. Even with the best warm up they aren’t in the game and haven’t had touches of the ball. If they’d played the last 15 would that have made a difference either to the result in extra time or their penalties?

A lot of people questioning why the more experienced players didn’t take the penalties but when you think about the only really experienced players on the pitch who didn’t take one were Sterling & Stones!
Agree with everything said,  just wish players would stop this silly hop, skip and a jump when taking penalties.  Hit it hard and get it on target if the keeper saves it then fine,  all these 'mind games '  don't do it for me.  Anyway, proud of the team, better times ahead, World Cup next year............ Come on England,  now back to the County Ground .......

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:13:56 »

Agree with everything said,  just wish players would stop this silly hop, skip and a jump when taking penalties.  Hit it hard and get it on target if the keeper saves it then fine,  all these 'mind games '  don't do it for me.  Anyway, proud of the team, better times ahead, World Cup next year............ Come on England,  now back to the County Ground .......

I called all three misses, in my living room with no one to hear me expect my Mrs who wasn’t really paying attention.

Rashford & Sancho based on their run ups and Saka based on the fact he’s had a really good tournament.

I wonder how different it would have turned out if all the defenders had stepped up and just smashed it like Maguire did!
It almost like the attackers thing about it too much and the defenders just hit it.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:15:12 »

Agree with everything said,  just wish players would stop this silly hop, skip and a jump when taking penalties.  Hit it hard and get it on target if the keeper saves it then fine,  all these 'mind games '  don't do it for me.  Anyway, proud of the team, better times ahead, World Cup next year............ Come on England,  now back to the County Ground .......
Yep, the best penalty was Maguire's.

If you larrup it into the top corner and the keeper saves it, then the keeper has done well. If you are a bit cutsie and don't score, you look a fool.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:17:01 »

Yep, the best penalty was Maguire's.

If you larrup it into the top corner and the keeper saves it, then the keeper has done well. If you are a bit cutsie and don't score, you look a fool.
Like one of ours last night.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:28:11 »

Quote from: DV Canio
I wonder how different it would have turned out if all the defenders had stepped up and just smashed it like Maguire did!
It almost like the attackers thing about it too much and the defenders just hit it.

well,I don't want to harp back to work 96 too much.. but...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:36:15 »

Maguire breaking the camera was great. Suspect if we'd tried that penalty five times we'd have hit the crossbar at least twice though, I don't think it's possible to pick a spot that precisely when doing that (I realise we missed three in reality).
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:37:50 »

well,I don't want to harp back to work 96 too much.. but...

Fair point however, across to two shoot outs we had we took 10 penalties and scored 9 of them.
The only miss coming from Southgate who wasn’t in the original 5 but stepped up 6th.

Bit different from missing 3/5

...and stupid hop, skip, jump run ups weren’t a thing in 1996!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:40:10 »

Overshadowed a bit by what came later, but thought Declan Rice played the best game I've seen him play in an England shirt last night, which bodes well against a really good midfield. Don't want to pick out individuals negatively really, but Henderson didn't have the same impact after replacing him.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:43:26 »

It would also be interesting to know how many players in the 2021 squad are their clubs first choice regular penalty taker vs ‘96.

Shearer, Platt, Pearce, Gazza and Sheringham were the 5 in 96.
At least Shearer, Pearce and Sheringham would have been their clubs first choice. Maybe Platt too? Gazza probably not at Rangers.

Kane obviously takes Spurs but after that....

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 07:45:22 »

Overshadowed a bit by what came later, but thought Declan Rice played the best game I've seen him play in an England shirt last night, which bodes well against a really good midfield. Don't want to pick out individuals negatively really, but Henderson didn't have the same impact after replacing him.

Was surprised to see Henderson come on but also surprised to see him go off again.
I thought he might be lined up to take a penalty despite his missed one pre tournament.
One of the few players in our squad with experience under that sort of intense pressure.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #176 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 08:09:45 »

We have been great throughout and Southgate has been spot on most of the time. Thought he got it wrong at various stages last night throughout the game to be honest
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 08:22:11 »

Penalties are not a lottery in the slightest, it’s an outdated cliche to say otherwise, it’s skill technically and mentally

This all an assumption……I know it’s been said that we have been practising them a lot in training so I assume Rashford & Sancho were doing those stupid run ups in training. In which case I’m bit disappointed they weren’t told to put their laces behind it.

You do have to somewhat question why Sterling didn’t step up, assume he was shitting his pants. For his sake I’m glad he didn’t miss one though, the fallout would have been even worse than what the 3 kids have received so far
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 08:29:22 »

Best team won in the end, after that second half mauling we did well to make it to extra time and indded Pens (which i didnt watch...i cannot bear it).

I was hoping in all of the second half that we would have a 5 or 10 minute purple patch and snatch something....we didnt.

Southgate plays safe all the way and it worked up until last night, we really had to gamble against a team on top to win it and we didnt.

Its been an epic journey and a great distraction from our own shit storm.

Well done lads.

Clems Army!
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Monday, July 12, 2021, 08:44:22 »

Best team won in the end, after that second half mauling we did well to make it to extra time and indded Pens (which i didnt watch...i cannot bear it).

I was hoping in all of the second half that we would have a 5 or 10 minute purple patch and snatch something....we didnt.

Southgate plays safe all the way and it worked up until last night, we really had to gamble against a team on top to win it and we didnt.

Its been an epic journey and a great distraction from our own shit storm.

Well done lads.

Yep, that's pretty much how I saw things too.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: