Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 275153 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1530 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 09:43:28 »

I am a big fan of the moneyball method as they call it.

I have studied analytics in football and love stats and figures and always have, as most on here know I am a data nerd.

Would love to on board with this plan phyically hands on, it is the way forward certainly for smaller clubs looking to make a mark and further themselves and their players, buy cheap underperforming players and sell for big money and get players who can play in a position or style and fill the piece in the jigsaw to compliment the style.

As with all of it though its how its implimented on the pitch thats key and they will need a manager who understand this and impliments it to compliment the style. Its a whole way of thinking on and off the pitch, utilising players strenghts and playing to them and not thier weaknesses.

McKirdy is a perfect example of an underperforming player with a high xg but low actual goal tally that has never produced the goods previously despite creating many chances, but play him in a formation to suit his style then hopefully the goals will come, which they have with Harry. The players must also be onboard with the coaching.

One of footballs great thinkers like Jonathan Woodgate or Dave Hockaday need not apply! Cheesy

One club well known for using Moneyball strategy (as well as Liverpool and Brentford) is Aston Villa, a club who recently got rid of their U23/academy manager who is well versed in the strategy, Mark Delaney, is this purely a coincidence? a man also quite close mates with Gareth Barry.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1531 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 09:59:23 »

Rasmus Ankersen, the data-driven Danish guy behind the overachievement of Mydjylland and Brentford, was the guest speaker at my company's sales conference this year. He explained how really deep analysis helped smaller David clubs compete against their Goliath competitors by outthinking them in every aspect of the running of the club, from diet to recruitment to formation, by taking subjectivity out of the equation and incorporating Dave Brailsford's marginal gains approach so that no potential performance improvement was too minor to be analysed.

His conclusion was that all this data plus desire - being hungrier because you didn't have an established model or formula for success to defend - were the key components that helped the clubs he built up to box above their weight.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-with-huge-budgets

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1532 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:14:37 »

For a team in the 4th tier of English football this is a huge undertaking and very forward thinking.

It sounds impressive.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #1533 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:17:14 »

The data recruitment side of twitter are speaking very highly of the appointment, some of whom have worked with Sandro before. Some really trusted voices out there bigging it up which is a great positive.

Some Wigan fan has mentioned that Sandro's analysis company has a big input to the Football Manager database, which is another positive considering how accurate that database has been alluded to over the years.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1534 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:21:47 »

How does this fella fit in with Les Cafery and Russell, who both appear to be of a somewhat similar background
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #1535 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:35:12 »

Are we all now assuming that Clem was lining up SDM for a role at the club and that has prompted the BC resignation, which has influenced BG to consider other offers?

That feels like a more rational chronology to me.

..never go back.
digby

Ignore
« Reply #1536 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:36:16 »

Who's the best betting site to go with for a flutter on the new coach ?

I usually use Bet365 for my footie bets, but they don't seem to be doing it !
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1537 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:37:45 »

Only odds I’ve seen are on BetVictor.

We technically still have a manager - although Charlton, who do not, aren’t quoted either.

Paul Caddis and Gianfranco Zola have both appeared at 8/1 
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:39:57 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1538 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:40:11 »

Are we all now assuming that Clem was lining up SDM for a role at the club and that has prompted the BC resignation, which has influenced BG to consider other offers?

That feels like a more rational chronology to me.

I understand Chorley told Clem of his resignation some weeks ago (and other people here have mentioned this), but the club only announced it at the end of the season. No need to destablisie the run in. They have been looking for a replacement since and have just announced who that is, all be it in what looks like a wider role to me. BG unrelated i think.
digby

Ignore
« Reply #1539 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 10:54:27 »

Cheers, Just signed up and put a fiver on Delaney at 10:1

No ITK, just a bit of fun, and he seems to fit the bill !   Hmmm
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1540 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 11:02:22 »

Ask Jimmy, he seems to be ITK given his recent postings regarding odds. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1541 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 11:07:38 »

I understand Chorley told Clem of his resignation some weeks ago (and other people here have mentioned this), but the club only announced it at the end of the season. No need to destablisie the run in. They have been looking for a replacement since and have just announced who that is, all be it in what looks like a wider role to me. BG unrelated i think.

Do you think he had to give a months notice hence the resignation weeks ago? Clearly announcing it during the play-off campaign would be far from sensible but the timeline with announcing Di Michele makes sense to what you are saying.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1542 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 11:08:03 »

Zola showing at 10/1 Caddis 8/1😀

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1543 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 11:12:56 »

I assume the Zola link is just because the new Technical Director is Italian/has an Italian name? I'm sure we'll see PDC in the betting before long! Smiley

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1544 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 11:14:31 »

It's fun to watch!

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 ... 203   Go Up
Print
Jump to: