Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 275083 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 14:19:08 »

There is definitely some merit to studying statistics and recruiting accordingly, but I'm not sure I'd like to be married to it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1516 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 14:19:43 »

That knocks replacing Garner with a manager. Strange, as Clem seemed to poo poo that idea. Maybe he was just poo pooing Garner’s one dimensional approach. If we are looking to recruit young players with a view to selling them on for a large wedge, it would be difficult to identify them through stats as, by their very nature, they wouldn’t have much in the way of stats.

Still, this obviously has been in the offing for a while and just needs backing up with a head coach we can identify with.

There’s no free hit this season.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1517 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 14:59:30 »

From the local Wigan rag

‘Sandro Di Michele was involved in last summer's recruitment drive at the DW, which saw Latics assemble a virtual brand new squad which finished top of League One.’
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1518 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 15:11:22 »

Sounds like a good appointment. Personally I'm a big fan of using data driven analytics in sport. It's not sport in it's purest form, but it's how you win games and trophies.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1519 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 16:02:33 »

Stats are obviously a big thing and it’s right that we are seemingly embracing the tech and data. However it still needs to be combined with traditional methods as we’ve all seen how misleading stats like xG and what not can be so hope it doesn’t come in to the detriment of our scouting network.

Similarly need to be wary of stat padders, a centre back could pass in a triangle between a fellow centre back and a centre midfielder and look like the ultimate ball playing centre back or conversely a team might have brick shithouse up front who wins every aimless punt in the air and would make it seem like the centre back has the passing range of De Bruyne.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1520 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 16:08:56 »

Stats are obviously a big thing and it’s right that we are seemingly embracing the tech and data. However it still needs to be combined with traditional methods as we’ve all seen how misleading stats like xG and what not can be so hope it doesn’t come in to the detriment of our scouting network.

Similarly need to be wary of stat padders, a centre back could pass in a triangle between a fellow centre back and a centre midfielder and look like the ultimate ball playing centre back or conversely a team might have brick shithouse up front who wins every aimless punt in the air and would make it seem like the centre back has the passing range of De Bruyne.

Sounds like a defender I know…
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #1521 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 16:23:49 »

I’d like to think the data is just what qualifies a player to make the shortlist. Then selected players are probably scouted and analysed from then on.

Anyhow, it beats what our model appears to have been for the last 6 years:

Has the player played for Swindon Town before? > is he available? > sign him up
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #1522 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 16:26:51 »

Glad the jigsaw is being pieced together. Whether it’s betting or his previous role at Santoni (assuming that now ends as it would provide a conflict of interest, you would think?) he is clearly driven by data, which I’m a big fan of… it’s the norm now. No more old fashioned “I saw the striker for 5 minutes and decided I’d have him” (Andy King’s approach to signing Eric Sabin!).

And by a coincidental twist of fate, Santoni Sports (now dissolved, it seems, as of 2020) had a registered office on “Old Chorley Road” in Bolton. Very apt.

You couldn’t knock Kingy’s eye for bringing in talent on a relatively low budget.
Brought in some cracking players.
Loved Kingy and became a friend and shared a few beers with him. Old school Manager though without doubt.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #1523 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 16:27:51 »

From the local Wigan rag

‘Sandro Di Michele was involved in last summer's recruitment drive at the DW, which saw Latics assemble a virtual brand new squad which finished top of League One.’

Can’t knock that reference.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #1524 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 16:40:19 »

Can’t knock that reference.

One thing climbing to the top, harder staying there and maintaining that position. Sounds good and obviously part of a bigger jigsaw puzzle. I’m getting the feeling this has been in the pipeline for sometime and that RA & CM knew BG was going to go along with BC either under their own steam or manoeuvred into a position of ‘untenable’ employment.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #1525 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 17:48:02 »

So instead of a statement saying that there would be no statement today, we had a statement announcing an appointment that may, or may not, be good for the club. Indeed a statement of intent.

Will our next non statement, statement day be as intriguing?
« Last Edit: Monday, June 6, 2022, 17:51:54 by bathford » Logged
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #1526 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 18:42:24 »

perhaps now is the time of all the Football Manager/FUT experts

Finally.

My time has come.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #1527 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 19:57:59 »

One thing climbing to the top, harder staying there and maintaining that position. Sounds good and obviously part of a bigger jigsaw puzzle. I’m getting the feeling this has been in the pipeline for sometime and that RA & CM knew BG was going to go along with BC either under their own steam or manoeuvred into a position of ‘untenable’ employment.

Thought that BC was going before BG.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #1528 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 20:02:27 »

Thought that BC was going before BG.

Semantics. 😉
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1529 on: Monday, June 6, 2022, 20:31:43 »

What the Fucking hell are you talking about? Mumsnet

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 ... 203   Go Up
Print
Jump to: