Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 277146 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #435 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:33:38 »

BBC West reporting that we have "refused to comment", which suggests (to me anyway) that he IS going but some details (i.e. compensation) still have to be sorted
As long as we put in a clause that he cannot sign any current Swindon players for a year Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:37:07 »

Garner out!

Oh wait, I'm a bit late to the party.

Will he or won't he, either way it's not going to go down well with our fanbase and seemingly Charlton's as well. All's said and done though, although Garner has done a good job here taking us from zero to a spot kick away from the playoff final, it's not 'just' him that's done it, and at times throughout the season this forum and a lot of the fanbase at large have been bemoaning the quality of him as a manager (forgetting he's head coach as most do...)

Will Chorley and the other backroom staff stay? Possibly. Will them leaving mean we get a bit of a windfall payment? Yes. Will we be able to replace with someone who has the ability of garner? Absolutely. I've been most impressed by the recruitment of Chorley, and Garner's handling of players like Conroy and Williams, who have big historic injuries that meant other clubs had written them off, and managing those players has perhaps been as important as the tactics for each match this season. As long as we have the architecture and scaffolding of that 'boring' bit of the backroom staff left behind when/if they go, we are still set for a good go at it.

Would I love to see Caddis and Ferry back as a coaching duo? Heck yeah. The old Celtic boys must have learnt a LOT about management under the Hart/Bodin/Di Canio period even before the rest of their careers went other directions from Swindon.

Interesting looking at the wiki article on Swindon managers as ignoring statistically insignificant amounts of games in charge, Di Canio is still our 'best' manager on 95 games, 56.8% win rate, followed by Sturrock(! 52, 50%), Flitcroft(! 42, 50%), and then Garner on 56, 50%, before Macari on 285, 48.4%. We haven't had a manager last more than 75 matches since Cooper in 2013-15 helmed 125 with a win rate of 41.6%.

Our managers over the last 10 years since 2013 have managed on average 35 games a piece, with a win rate of 35%. The decade before, it was 38 games and 35%. So for the last 20 years, on average, not much has changed. If you go back ANOTHER decade, excluding Hoddle who was coming to the end of his time in '93, we're looking at 56 games and 26% win rate per manager. So you could argue the 90's we're worse than the decades after, but we've pretty much been struggling managerially and as a club since Hoddle went in '93. (As if you couldn't fucking tell already what with us going from Prem to L2...)

Does this have any bearing on what to do if Garner goes? Well, if you look at where our most successful managers from the last 20 years come from, it's someone with no previous management experience who's thrown into a squad playing positive football with raw, young,  talented players on the team. We've got the latter two mindsets, and all we need if Garner goes is to fill in the "excited first step into management" side of the equation

#TEFMAFFS
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:43:14 by Honkytonk » Logged
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:56:35 »

Just taken a call from one of my mates (ITK). Luc Nijholt is the next man in. Clem wanted someone with a previous link to the club.

Now, ain't that just like me?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:58:46 »

Just taken a call from one of my mates (ITK). Luc Nijholt is the next man in. Clem wanted someone with a previous link to the club.

Nijholt used to apply every time the role came up, this would have been 10 years or so ago though!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 13:10:20 »

Well that would be underwhelming and left field
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 13:14:15 »

He’s 60 and hasn’t managed for years.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 13:18:24 »

I'm sure that is a piss take, given he has applied about 12 times.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 13:28:27 »

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 13:31:29 »

I doubt Clem would know Nijholt if he sat on his face and farted
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 13:47:57 »

If Garner wants to leave then fine, let him go, although it does surprise me next season will be a season with no embargo and signing a better quality of player, and we should be pushing for promotion, you would have thought another good season and potentially promotion would enhance his CV further and get him a bigger job if he wants to move on.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 13:54:40 »

I have just received a fax from Steve Lomas who says he has already signed a deal

I come from a land down-under
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 14:01:14 »

I have just received a fax from Steve Lomas who says he has already signed a deal

I just rang ClubCall and it says that John Gorman may be coming back to management.

Now, ain't that just like me?
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 14:01:32 »

Assistant to Sheena Easton.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 14:04:16 »

Sol Campbell leads the bookies list😱
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 14:04:35 »

Assistant to Sheena Easton.

And there it is, the winner 😂
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 203   Go Up