Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 275108 times)
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:49:48 »

Sorry - you aren't allowed to consider other jobs if you're football manager? Why is it different to any other job in the world?

Because this isn’t like a normal job, you have the massive complication of fans. We all know a manager would leave if he gets a better offer but to be actively looking at other jobs shows he isn’t committed and fans won’t tolerate that. Add in the player side where it will be harder to attract players when the managers position is uncertain then it makes it untenable.

I appreciate this is the perceived wisdom - but its a load of shit. I can't see mobs of pitchfork wielding fans marching to the County ground over this I really can't. Bit of a balls up granted, but I don't think his position should be untenable.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:51:27 »

Sorry - you aren't allowed to consider other jobs if you're football manager? Why is it different to any other job in the world?

Because that seems to be how many football fans think?

I will reiterate what I said earlier, a proportion of the fan base wanted him out when we were in the play offs, they are going to be like pigs in shit if he stays on after this, its not worth it for anyone.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:51:56 »

He's had an interview with a team a division higher, would pay more and be closer to home. You can't exactly shoot him for that.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:54:18 »

I appreciate this is the perceived wisdom - but its a load of shit. I can't see mobs of pitchfork wielding fans marching to the County ground over this I really can't. Bit of a balls up granted, but I don't think his position should be untenable.
No that’s reality, people didn’t really take to him this season so after finding out this a lot of the fanbase would outright turn on him. He was supposedly interviewed on the 21st, 2 days after the play-off defeat so you have to assume this has been bubbling in the background during the play-offs and again that’s poor. So his position is untenable as support towards him would be toxic. He’s done here.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #424 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:54:48 »

What other job, if you get the sack, do they pay you for the full length of your contract thats left?

Its very different to the "real world".

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:55:02 »

Because this isn’t like a normal job, you have the massive complication of fans. We all know a manager would leave if he gets a better offer but to be actively looking at other jobs shows he isn’t committed and fans won’t tolerate that. Add in the player side where it will be harder to attract players when the managers position is uncertain then it makes it untenable.

I get what you are saying but that's entirely contradictory unless Garner has ben going around applying for jobs (which no one has suggested he is), all that seems to be in the public domain is that he has been interviewed (no indication as to who approached who) and that compo has been agreed, nothing to suggest that Garner applied for nor accepted another job.

As noted before what's set hares running is this getting into the public domain, the original source of which is unknown.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:56:02 »

He's had an interview with a team a division higher, would pay more and be closer to home. You can't exactly shoot him for that.
It’s how football works. Players/managers feign loyalty all the time. When it comes back to bite them on the arse there’s no hiding place from the fans.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 11:58:12 »

Garner

=

Moss

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:09:25 »

Garner

=

Best thing since sliced bread?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:09:37 »

Trying to judge a footballing employment situation by comparing to an office job at Nationwide or a postman at Royal Mail isn't going to work.

They're not the same thing and pretending they are is just silly.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:13:33 »

My employment history, ironically
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:20:48 »

Charlton job next then....
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:21:46 »

Football manager?
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:29:49 »

Somebody has leaked it to the press, if it was kept quiet and he didn't get the job then we would be none the wiser.
BBC West reporting that we have "refused to comment", which suggests (to me anyway) that he IS going but some details (i.e. compensation) still have to be sorted
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 12:31:50 »

BBC West reporting that we have "refused to comment", which suggests (to me anyway) that he IS going but some details (i.e. compensation) still have to be sorted

Good, best outcome for all in the circumstances.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 203   Go Up
Print
Jump to: