Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 275299 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #330 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:07:57 »

Charlton fan comments on Twitter appear underwhelmed.  Will be interesting to see how his playing style/philosophy translates to League 1.  If anything, I think it could be more effective with a slightly higher calibre of player with better technical abilities.

Charlton fans seem thoroughly underwhelmed from what I’ve read.

Well Charlton fans have a high opinion of him!

Gone before Christmas. Never been so underwhelmed

Ben fucking who are you Garner.

Deflating news. Not excited at all.

Nah. This isn't what I was expecting. This is a shocking move. Fs

All for giving people a chance but have to admit I am underwhelmed. Meant to play attacking football which is good but surprised by this.

Ben Garner … Totally underwhelmed.

Fully expecting most people to be underwhelmed by this but he’s clearly done a good job at Swindon. At least we can press ahead with plans to get players in now. Certainly 1 or 2 at Swindon I’d be taking a look at.

I will say Swindon impressed me last season when I watched them, played good attacking football. They played Forest Green Rovers off the park away from home. They looked good against City in FA cup, although City’s class showed.

What a load of shit,,, a manger who can’t even get a team out of league two. Sangard hasn’t a clue what he is doing, taking us backwards

Massively underwhelmed.

I'll admit, despite not seeing any Swindon or knowing much outside of this thread about Garner, it is a bit underwhelming compared to Beale, Taylor and even Moris given what's been said about them.
But!
 He is supposed to play a high press to beat down the low block with attacking football so hopefully we get to see some clear development and a "style".
Edit: after reading the one Swindon fans view, maybe it'll take  a little while to get there... But as long as we do..

What on earth is he playing at. I wonder if people will continue to worship the ground that Sandgaard walks on after this appointment, absolutely bizarre.

I want to get out of this league! How did Swindon get on
this year?

People spitting their dummies out that we've signed a young, attacking-minded coach that is known to play good football. Jackson in comparison is just young.
I guess because he's not a 'name' people are not going to give him a chance.
Has been praised throughout his coaching and managerial career and his Swindon season after starting out in July with 7 players was great.

Ben fucking Garner.  Nothing against him & really hope he does well, but that's seriously underwhelming & so disappointing

McKirdy and their right back at the end of the season (Egbo?) looked decent, but I am severely underwhelmed by this

Wake up call to how shit we really are I suppose

Shambles if appointed

He got the boot from Bristol Rovers and couldn’t even get Swindon out of League two, can hardly see the season ticket sales going through the roof. This was the opportunity for Sangard to make a statement and hires a bloke from a team in the lowest league

Happy if he signs McKirdy
Not happy if he plays Davison.

We’ve faffed around for weeks and ended up with a league 2 manager who couldn’t achieve promotion from league 2, we need a good start to the season, or the fans will get on his back.

Seeing the mess Swindon were in was surprised to see them in the play offs so welcome Ben and good luck.

Fucking dreadful. Wife and her family are Rovers fans, he was useless there. Hated.

realistically will he make it past Christmas?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:08:03 »

Even excluding caretakers, we have employed 11 permanent managers over the last 11 years (Di Canio onwards); and employed 7 permanent managers in the decade before that.  Give or take, that's a new manager every season.  Goes some way to explaining the rut we've been in since the early 2000s.

It is depressing.  For all of the chat about who might come in, what their footballing philosophy might be, who they know and who their contacts are - we need to accept that the next appointment is also likely to be short term.  And that we're likely to be having the same conversation all over again in 12-18 months from now.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:08:48 »

I would love Simon Ferry just for the interviews...
[/quoteq
Q
He did a quick interview in the Corp Lounge at the playoff game. He was hilarious!]
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:08:55 »

We're becoming the new Watford!

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #334 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:10:16 »

It is depressing.  For all of the chat about who might come in, what their footballing philosophy might be, who they know and who their contacts are - we need to accept that the next appointment is also likely to be short term.  And that we're likely to be having the same conversation all over again in 12-18 months from now.
Absolutely true mate.

In football it is often "who you know" not "what you know" to help with loans and transfers etc. Like having someone at the club "ahem" Standing, who actually knew lots of players and their availability....just saying Smiley

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:10:32 »

Sol Campbell anyone?
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:11:14 »

Am I surprised Garner is leaving? Yes after he signed an contract extension and was all about the project

Am I gutted he has gone? No just a bit disappointed but hey that is football

Am I worried? A little as he has left at the first chance he got. Worry is the reasons why he has left and players that might follow out the door. Hoping the reasons are just that Charlton are closer to home, a big club who should be challenging LG1/be a Championship club and a hefty pay rise.

Who will be next? Probably a name we haven't heard of but in the similar mould to Garner (develop young players, possession football). It is the project Clem wants and with a DoF, you keep that project goal in place, even with a change of manager.

Does seem the in thing with manager appointments - Getting someone from youth level (see Swansea w/ Cooper, Franchise, Ipswich, FGR and now Salford)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:11:16 »

Surprised? Yes.
Disappointed? A bit
Conclusion? It’s Swindon isn’t it. To coin a phrase.

Got over the play off defeat more or less straight away. Got over this by the time I went to bed last night.
I wish I was you. Still going over those penalties in my head

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman

« Reply #338 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:11:33 »

And a definate no for Simon Ferry, no experience and I dont want the cub becoming a laughing stock.

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:12:49 »

Yes Garner does rely on Chorley but I can't see Chorley going anywhere with Garner if he does go, his 2 assistants though...yes at least 1 will follow him for sure if not both Lindsey and Marshall.
Taking both apparently.

https://the72.co.uk/274219/charlton-athletics-proposed-new-boss-ben-garner-to-bring-swindon-town-pair-with-him-to-the-valley/
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:12:58 »

Is Matty Taylor still available😀

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:18:17 »

I'll keep one eye on Charlton's home form this season

They have a big pitch don't they? His style of football might work there, but as you say it will be interesting to see.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:19:23 »

Fuck me I don't log on to the forum for 15 hours and this happens.

What will be will be, its typical Swindon. Seeing fans who have never taken to Garner and been very vocal about it, now bitching that he has chosen to take a job higher up the ladder is amusing.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:19:40 »

Massive potential they had 25,000 v Plymouth when they sold cheap tickets.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 09:20:32 »

Yes Garner does rely on Chorley but I can't see Chorley going anywhere with Garner if he does go, his 2 assistants though...yes at least 1 will follow him for sure if not both Lindsey and Marshall.

I had heard that Chroley was a bit more than just DoF and was actively involved in transfers, tactics and team picking as well as style, maybe he will step up and take the managers job now?

They’ll all go Ben x2 and Scott x2
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 203   Go Up
Print
Jump to: