Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 275292 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:03:54 »

While I can understand people being critical about the home form and the tippy tappy football (to quote an old manager), I think some are forgetting the backroom staff. We managed to get more games out of Baudry, Conroy and Iandolo than anyone else has. We even got a bit out of Lyden. Then there is the way that Williams and Egbo's fitnesses were managed.

To me, the biggest loss would be the infrastructure and training regime put in place by Garner. That appears (from the outside) to be a big part of what the management team offered.

Frustrating to be rebuilding again, but, every problem provides an opportunity.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:12:20 »

Minded to agree. A known quantity, with the factors mentioned above in his favour approaching his second season.

That we operated with only one senior striker in our squad and topped the charts for goals is remarkable in hindsight.

I’d be happy with Carrick or Mason…but have a feeling it will be someone none of us have heard of.

I’d be happy with Carrick or Mason…but have a feeling it will be someone none of us have heard of.

This. The compensation for Garner and any player contracted that follows him out the door to Charlton or A N Other club will be banked thank you very much. We’ll end up with a bargain basement manager (in terms of expenditure) who may or may not be any good but we will soon find out and players of the similar financial ilk. We will NOT IMHO be splashing the cash on a manager or players we have to spend money on if it can be avoided.
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:15:30 »

Matt Taylor will be someone who would apply!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:20:55 »

One thing Garner also deserves credit for is the man management of McKirdy. Any new manager will have to manage him (no easy task I’d imagine), or have a 20 goal striker up their sleeve. Very annoyed by all this. I was hoping we could get on and start announcing new signings within the next week or so. This puts the whole summer plan back and the board need to be shrewd. Nobody had heard of Ryan Manning 2 years ago, and he’s now one of the brightest young manager in the country, so we need to be open minded.

If we act fast, and make the right appointment, you never know, the new manager may convince the core of this team to stay and we can build rather than restart.

Hoping we don’t see Ben Chorley leave for pastures new as well… do Charlton have a DOF?
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:28:18 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:29:43 »

One thing Garner also deserves credit for is the man management of McKirdy. Any new manager will have to manage him (no easy task I’d imagine), or have a 20 goal striker up their sleeve. Very annoyed by all this. I was hoping we could get on and start announcing new signings within the next week or so. This puts the whole summer plan back and the board need to be shrewd. Nobody had heard of Ryan Manning 2 years ago, and he’s now one of the brightest young manager in the country, so we need to be open minded.

If we act fast, and make the right appointment, you never know, the new manager may convince the core of this team to stay and we can build rather than restart.
They might not, as presumably, if the reason McKirdy wanted to stay isn't here anymore, then maybe he might want to move to be with Garner?

All 'if, buts and maybe's' at the moment. Time will tell.

Charlie Austin player manager anyone?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:40:03 »

I presume Charlton are looking at getting promoted next season, but you don’t achieve that by signing players who are too good for L2 - you need players that are too good for L1.

If Charlton are looking at our level for their next manager why didn’t they approach Taylor at Exeter?

Carrick would fit the bill here. Experienced youth manager, won’t be too bothered about salary and he seems desperate for that first step on the managerial ladder.

A lot will depend if the new man is willing to work with a DoF or not.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 05:48:23 »

If Charlton are looking at our level for their next manager why didn’t they approach Taylor at Exeter?

Who's to say they haven't? Sure he was linked with Charlton not that long ago.

In fact: https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-city-boss-matt-taylor-7128237

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 06:07:10 »

The largest annoyance here is the lack of continuity and the risk of players leaving on the back of it.

I think he had a great first season and managed the situation and some players well, getting the best of of them.

However I do think he lucked out changing to 433 when it was the only real option and it clicked. There was tactical naivety in many games.

I think Rob and Clem will make the right choice for the club, I trust them more than Power.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 06:10:59 »

I’d trust Boris Johnson more than Power.

It does scream a budget appointment for Charlton, though. Their fans are much like we were when we appointed him.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 06:27:07 »

Hoping we don’t see Ben Chorley leave for pastures new as well… do Charlton have a DOF?

Not saying you’re wrong but whose to say being jobless in the summer with little interest was a wake up call for McKirdy and that his form his down to him rather than Garner?

Not saying that’s the case just playing devils advocate. Also if McKirdy hadn’t of scored 20+ goals where would we have finished?

Did Garner luck into a 20 goal striker who fired us up the table above our station? Or did he create a 20 goal striker who deservedly fired us up the table.

I guess time will tell and we’ll have to wait and see what McKirdy produces next season.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 06:42:39 »

From a pure football appointment not bitterly disappointed but he has done well first season.
Was a cheap option and brought in to develop and coach young players - he passed that test.

As a Manager I have my reservations and still believe a yes Man controlled from the top.
Can’t see Chorley staying and actually thought he would be going before Garner.

Just wondering the intent now from Hierarchy at the top and what they do next?
As this seasons model will be the same as last, cheap young loanees and development, I would think another Garner type coach will be brought in.
The debt is being reduced and no doubt ground purchase and an asset appears to be the main priority however the fans have backed the project and need to see investment on the pitch.

We need to be competing in the top 6 clubs at least in this division for talent.
Last season a free hit, this one we simply have to be challenging a top 3 finish.

Interesting month ahead.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 06:48:23 by TheDukeOfBanbury » Logged
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 07:41:57 »

Ben Garner and Johnnie Jackson to pass each other on the m4?
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 07:45:24 »

Ben Garner and Johnnie Jackson to pass each other on the m4?

JJ was just appointed AFC Wimbledon manager
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 07:46:58 »

Here we go again!

Im a bit Meh ref Garner.

Had a free hit and fell short but hit a height of expectation that was not expected!

Good luck to him....im and old cunt and am not attracted to the new style of Coach such as Williams and Garner.

Clems Army!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #284 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 07:49:08 »

Had a free hit and fell short but hit a height of expectation that was not expected!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 203   Go Up
Print
Jump to: