Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 275271 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:04:19 »

It’s hardly turmoil - it’s football.
It happens literally every other week.

It could be turmoil as we don't know the reasons behind him leaving unless you can enlighten us

So, give no fucks
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:07:58 »

Funny thing is after the Leyton Orient home game he would have had precisely no chance of any other job and that was only 6 games ago. We would have probably been spending the summer debating whether he was the right man for the job as well. It’s only really the run of 4 wins to creep into the playoffs that got fans on board so I think that’s why most people are nonplussed.

Exactly this. He has showed laughable tactical naivety at times this season? Credit to him, he's shown willingness to change and improve but there was still a lingering doubt we'd go back to the same during a non run in situation.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:11:01 »

If he goes, I fear he’ll do another Wellens where the grass isn’t always greener. He’s proved this season he has potential after a disastrous time at Rovers and creating the best attacking team in the league. Kudos! However, the other side of the double edged knife is that he failed to get a team promoted from League Two with the best attacking footballing team in the league and 5 teams less attacking finished higher..

Sad if he goes that we’ll lose that continuity. Excited if he goes in hope we get a headline statement manager to dominate this league with McKirdy, Reed and Williams at the centre of it all.

It ain’t Swindon Town unless there is drama somewhere…

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:11:46 »

Hmm don't really have strong feelings one way or the other.  

On the one hand he seemed to build a brilliant spirit within the squad. I felt he stood a good chance of going one better and getting us promoted next season.

On the other hand he came out with some bizarre comments in interviews and never managed any sort of consistency at home.

We could have done without it but if you were to pick a time for this to happen this is it. New man has weeks to build his squad which is rare and may attract a higher quality of applicant if they know they're coming in with a clean slate and an instant chance to mould their own players into a team.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:13:57 »

It could be turmoil as we don't know the reasons behind him leaving unless you can enlighten us

Pretty straightforward, he's had an offer from a club in a higher division, great opportunity for his managerial career

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:14:10 »

I think with regards to Garner - we were really going to see what he was made of next season.
Would he be able to tactically see out games?
Would we be able to play with the same intensity as the last 6/7 games of this season when we were effectively playing knock out football?
Would he sign ‘different’ types of players?

I guess we’ll never know…

Onto the next one…
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:16:26 »

…and tbh the fact he might take players with him (particularly those ooc) like Egbo & Payne worry me more than Garner going.

Obviously Williams and Reed under contract so would command a fee.

I guess we werent in a position to effectively tell Charlton to do one
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:35:42 by DiV » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:16:56 »

Pretty straightforward, he's had an offer from a club in a higher division, great opportunity for his managerial career

You're probably right but there's been plenty of murmurs on here about the players budget being slashed etc so there could be stuff going on behind the scenes he's not happy about.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:18:50 »

John McGreal anyone?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:21:35 »

John McGreal anyone?

Has he been paid off yet? Wouldn't be the first time a manager we hadn't paid off came back (King who was actually officially manager the whole time, Roy Evans was officially Director of Football)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:32:33 »

John McGreal anyone?
Nah. The whole saga around his appointment is still very dodgy IMO.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 22:34:02 »

You're probably right but there's been plenty of murmurs on here about the players budget being slashed etc so there could be stuff going on behind the scenes he's not happy about.

Rumour shumours Jimmy!! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 00:25:23 »

I'll keep one eye on Charlton's home form this season
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 01:23:29 »

Compo will be minimal as based on wage.

I think it's a shame he's going.  I've been critical of some of the one dimensional negative footy we got back around Xmas, the tactical change to combat Bradford's average team at home when we were the form team in the league and then not changing it back until we'd shipped a few etc.  

However, I also think he became more pragmatic as the season went on and we only really lost games when our small squad was tested, EG Mckirdy injured or Reed suspended or the last game when they just looked knackered.

To go from where we were a week before the trip to Scunthorpe, to the top scorers in the league, was some achievement and it would have been a big step forward to have that continuity with a decent spine if a team already in place.

Looking forward to next chapter let's hope it's a successful one.

Carrick and Mason would both be very welcome although Mason would probably be better off staying as coach at spurs for a few years.    Hadn't appreciated Carrick was unemployed, so that's not a stupid shout at all, if still unlikely.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 01:35:21 by Pookemon » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Thursday, May 26, 2022, 04:42:03 »

Ex piss stain manager Appleton has been mentioned - may not be a bad choice.

When it comes to players leaving to follow Garner, I do hope they haven’t got a clause in their contracts that allows them to leave on a free which, I believe, Payne had.

I’ve been critical of Garner most of the season for boring the pants off fans and being responsible for the complete lack of atmosphere at home games due to the meandering, pointless passing game he favours.

Can’t argue about some stonking away performances, though.

With the quality squad we had, though, we really ought to have got an auto place. 9 home wins all season was pathetic.

All in all, I’m glad he’s off.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 203   Go Up
Print
Jump to: