Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Day 12: Croatia v Scotland, England v Czechia  (Read 15996 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 21:33:44 »

Hope this puts an end to all the anti-Sterling bollocks on soc med

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 21:35:58 »

Three games, 7 points, 3 clean sheets and a more positive performance.
It could've been so much worse and any team we face will be wary i'd imagine.

Knockout games here we come, bring it on.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 21:53:00 »

I have no issues with seeing the game out in boring fashion.
We did it against Croatia and we’ve done it again tonight.

The problem was we did exactly the same thing against Scotland at 0-0.
I think that's the thing - I almost don't mind us winning boringly against a good team, but I would like us to bury the poorer teams to make a statement.

I thought tonight's game was dull.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 05:50:56 »

We bought Henderson on to kill the game.
He killed it
I was trying to work out if the Czech's worked out how to get close to Grealish, whether Grealish ran out of steam or Henderson failed to offer any angles from goalkicks and slow everything down.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 06:43:20 »

nearly perfect results. not perfect performances.  but job done.

now we need to up it
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 06:50:08 »

I was trying to work out if the Czech's worked out how to get close to Grealish, whether Grealish ran out of steam or Henderson failed to offer any angles from goalkicks and slow everything down.
He changed the formation slightly and had Philips holding the whole second half , i thought it worked well and can't remember them worrying us. I still think Rice is the weak link in that midfield
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 07:58:47 »

A much better performance but they need to start quicker and cut out constantly passing the ball backwwrds

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:15:44 »

I chose to watch the Scotland v Croatia game as it had something riding on it. I'm sure it's probably because of the way England were setup against Croatia nullifying them but the Croats were technically excellent last night pulling Scotland all over the place. And what a goal by Modric! I don't think he was allowed to pull the strings against us and that made all the difference.

I flicked onto our game a little in the second half but it appeared to be like a pre-season friendly played out. Winning a group with 2 decent sides (Scotland are much improved on previous years) and the World Cup semi-finalists is nothing to be sniffed at. Next Tuesday is going to be a huge ask, however given how we've played so far, that could work to our advantage.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:25:28 »

I chose to watch the Scotland v Croatia game as it had something riding on it. I'm sure it's probably because of the way England were setup against Croatia nullifying them but the Croats were technically excellent last night pulling Scotland all over the place. And what a goal by Modric! I don't think he was allowed to pull the strings against us and that made all the difference.

I flicked onto our game a little in the second half but it appeared to be like a pre-season friendly played out. Winning a group with 2 decent sides (Scotland are much improved on previous years) and the World Cup semi-finalists is nothing to be sniffed at. Next Tuesday is going to be a huge ask, however given how we've played so far, that could work to our advantage.

The first half was a competitive fixture, the second half was indeed a lot more like a friendly. Worth catching a few first half highlights probably.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:27:58 »

Another competent performance, as they always say, you can only beat what's in front of you.

Still suspect we might fold when we come up against a decent team playing well.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:38:29 »

He changed the formation slightly and had Philips holding the whole second half , i thought it worked well and can't remember them worrying us. I still think Rice is the weak link in that midfield
Yeah that's fair. I would say I quite liked how Rice would offer himself on an angle when we did short goal kicks, whilst we seemed to get a bit bogged down once the ball was inevitably passed back to the centrebacks through lack of further options, he provided an option I didn't see Henderson give.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:44:40 »

Another competent performance, as they always say, you can only beat what's in front of you.

Still suspect we might fold when we come up against a decent team playing well.

Not potent enough, not creating enough chances, negative football sideways & backwards and a much better team will open us up

So, give no fucks
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:46:50 »

Hope this puts an end to all the anti-Sterling bollocks on soc med

I think the only way to stop bollocks on social media is to turn their servers off

I come from a land down-under
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:47:01 »

I do worry (well I don't really worry, it doesn't actually bother me too much) about just how negative we are now. The small bit I saw in the second half, we had a corner which was cleared out to Walker about 35 yards from goal and his first instinct was to knock it all the way back to Pickford.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 08:56:23 »

That’s game management. You do what you need to do to win the game and don’t try and risk doing too much more because in such a short tournament the margins are fine and if the risk backfires the effects are magnified

Taking that example from yesterday. You’re 1-0 up, winning the group. Why cross the ball into the box (a pretty low percentage play) and risk giving it away and opening yourself up to the counter??

It’s really difficult to understand how this is hasn’t been understood by so many. Name one team which has swashbuckled their way to winning a tournament??

Spain 2010 - bored their way 1-0 to win it
Spain 2012 - see 2010 (until playing a knackered Italy in the final)
Germany 2014 - semi final aside won every knockout game by a one goal margin, including squeaking past Algeria in round two
Portugal 2016 - only won two games all tournament!
France 2018 - best attacking lineup on the planet. Scored three goals in the group stage. Turned it on when they had to against Argentina but otherwise cautious and collected throughout

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: