Poll
Question: Do you enjoy the Eurovision Song Contest?
Yes. I get dressed up for the occasion and sing all the songs! - 0 (0%)
No, it's a total bag of wank! - 13 (26.5%)
It's cheesy as fuck but probably a guilty pleasure - 19 (38.8%)
This isn't fun, it's torture. - 0 (0%)
Fuck off, it's as bad as "half n half" scarves! - 9 (18.4%)
I have zero opinion and won't be offering such. - 8 (16.3%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eurovision 2021  (Read 9189 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 21, 2021, 18:26:28 »

Got Iceland in the work sweepstake and discovered that they're.mly even there because of covid. Ffs!
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 21, 2021, 18:42:42 »

It's definitely a guilty pleasure. Mocking the Mrs' home nation's song (that's generally better than ours) is also fun

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 08:52:52 »

Got Iceland in the work sweepstake and discovered that they're.mly even there because of covid. Ffs!
They are being allowed to perform as they are allowing the rehearsal as their live performance under "special circumstances".

FWIW I think Iceland will do well, its quirky nerds but catchy.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 09:02:35 »

Is it a live miming performance😀

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 09:08:19 »

Is it a live miming performance😀
No apparently they have to sing live thats always been part of Eurovision rules, unlike TOTP and various "alleged" live perfomances in talk shows etc.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 09:57:04 »

They are being allowed to perform as they are allowing the rehearsal as their live performance under "special circumstances".

FWIW I think Iceland will do well, its quirky nerds but catchy.

To be fair their effort last year was genuinely rather good. This year's seems very similar, but not quite as good.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 10:03:38 »

A guilty pleasure.
Best bit is when Graham Norton (and Wogan before him) takes the piss during the scoring stage.

Here are the votes from the North Macedonian jury.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 10:05:24 »

No apparently they have to sing live thats always been part of Eurovision rules, unlike TOTP and various "alleged" live perfomances in talk shows etc.

I might tune in then😀

So, give no fucks
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 10:49:41 »

Guilty pleasure, always has been since a little kid when we'd watch it as a family. Genuinely gutted we didn't get the Iceland win last year we 100% would have seen, I know it's the same guys this year but the song isn't as good.

It's definitely a guilty pleasure. Mocking the Mrs' home nation's song (that's generally better than ours) is also fun

Just for extra effect, do you make your points   L O U D L Y   A N D   S L O W L Y?

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 10:50:54 »

That's how I consume my pints Pint

So, give no fucks
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 10:57:24 »

For quite a few years a large bunch of friends had parties that really meant getting pi**ed and taking the pi** but eventually it became even too much of a farce to be enjoyable along those lines anymore.

Will probably return from the attitude adjustment centre this evening and watch through a slight haze and instantly forget who has won as it will not be the UK entry unless every other act is disqualified for offences against public safety.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 11:10:35 »

I wonder if the rest of Europe and Australia actually understand or know why we take the hug and kiss out of the farcical cringe fest of false bonhomie?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 12:55:31 »

I'm kind of in the Nemo area of it all. For me it's just a load of fun and if (like Barry) I knew a few people who were up for a fancy dress, I would probably do so too.

It's definitely not something to get the tits in a twist about like Mr Orange mentions. Yep we know the voting is somewhat leans politically but I enjoy the ridiculousness of it all even more Smiley

Totally agree with comments re Wogan, quite tough for Norton to follow him even though he's been doing it around 10 years now! Wogan was something else, it's the equivalent of trying to recreate the two Ronnies for a sketch. I'm glad Norton hasn't tried to "be Wogan" though and he does a decent enough job of taking the piss Smiley

I was going to have a bet on both the UK and Israel getting nul points (nil pwah) but no doubt some from the UK will probably vote for Israel, handing them a few points.

The UK entry is quite good but this is Eurovision so you either go for the most trashy sounding song or the most banal, there you may find your winner! Anyway if you do watch it, enjoy and get slowly sloshed (or quickly) or if you can't stand it, enjoy and get slowly sloshed in the garden (whilst being pissed on no doubt).

As an aside, and for a bit of fun (which may translate as pain for some) my co-host and I are doing a "Rip It Up Podcast: Eurovision Special" where we'll briefly discuss the contest, pick out our favourites/most ridiculous/rubbish tracks and likely be wearing something orange. It will be quite interesting what my co-host makes of it all as he is an American so will probably wonder what on earth is going on, unless of course, it turns out he is one of Eurovision's biggest fan. I guess if you can be arsed, you'll have to tune in and find out.

Hope to put it out at around 7.30pm and will be just a 30ish min episode. Absolutely zero pressure to view, it's purely a "flash episode" but will post the link here for anyone interested. A bit like those who love the "all day build up" coverage to the FA Cup  Grin

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 16:19:55 »

Well the chicken in tomato and Coriander is ready, the two types of homemade bread, chilli & feta, cheddar & onion are in the oven as I type. So we’re now enjoying a pimped up king prawn cocktail to help lubricate the digestive system before some serious alcohol and piss taking starts soon.

Edit. Interestingly two out of the three countries cuisine on offer tonight are not in the final.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, May 22, 2021, 16:25:52 »

Well the chicken in tomato and Coriander is ready, the two types of homemade bread, chilli & feta, cheddar & onion are in the oven as I type. So we’re now enjoying a pimped up king prawn cocktail to help lubricate the digestive system before some serious alcohol and piss taking starts soon.

Edit. Interestingly two out of the three countries cuisine on offer tonight are not in the final.

I went to the other end of the effort scale and bought some bombay mix, pickled onion monster munch, spicy Nik naks, popcorn, twiglets, garlic bread and a pizza!

Enjoy your evening LL!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: