Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England team for the Euros  (Read 16877 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 13:36:32 »

Curious about this and I’m not having a dig but why do you think it’s overhyped?

For me it’s comfortably the best league in the world and has been so for a couple of seasons now, although according to the likes of Sky it been that way for the past 25 years!

It’s a not a coincidence that the 2 of the last 3 CL finals have been all premier league affairs
I'm not that knowledgeable, tbf.  The Premier League is right up there, I'm sure, but I also admire the Bundesliga for goals, crowds, atmosphere and (as we only recently saw with the Euro Super League fiasco) fan participation.  But I'm sure there is real excitement and talent someone less curmudgeonly than me would enjoy.

I wouldn't say it is a co-incidence that 2 of the last 3 CL Finals have been all Premiership affairs.  In the interest of perspective however, in the year not mentioned, the PL only managed to get one of its 4 entrants past the Round of 16, with Man City out in the 1/4 finals - to Lyon.  

As far as the hype goes, I'm a bitter man Wink.  I see STFC's average gates at about 10% of those of the Gods of Football.  I feel a little sick when I have nowhere to escape the 10,000 fold media hype surrounding these Gods of Football and their mainly moaning fans. TV and lengthy parachute payments have closed the door to that exclusive league.

I like the history of the clubs in the PL and some of the clubs that still retain a streak of authenticity (eg Newcastle, Liverpool, Burnley, Norwich etc) but I prefer watching STFC and sometimes Woking, live and the FA Cup on the TV for my "British" football.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 13:38:33 by RedRag » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 14:54:28 »

Still think it's mad not to provisionally select Bamford. For the record, I wasn't saying that Grealish shouldn't be picked but Bamford is only second to Kane as top english goalscorer in the PL this season and has a fair chunk of assists in his bag too (7). He has a GTG ratio of 0.50 which is matched only by Calvert-Lewin and of course bettered by Kane.

Stats aren't everything but the main ones (goals and assists) certainly count. It is only my opinion but I do find it odd not to even provisionally select the 2nd highest scoring Englishman in the Premier League this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 17:46:00 »

Still think it's mad not to provisionally select Bamford. For the record, I wasn't saying that Grealish shouldn't be picked but Bamford is only second to Kane as top english goalscorer in the PL this season and has a fair chunk of assists in his bag too (7). He has a GTG ratio of 0.50 which is matched only by Calvert-Lewin and of course bettered by Kane.

Stats aren't everything but the main ones (goals and assists) certainly count. It is only my opinion but I do find it odd not to even provisionally select the 2nd highest scoring Englishman in the Premier League this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers
My issue with Bamford is that he misses a huge amount of chances to score those goals. Really do not get those amount of chances at international level
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 22:07:08 »

Watching the Europa League final tonight and it’s probably representative of what we can expect in the Euro’s being a high pressure match and both Greenwood and Rashford were completely nullified and failed to impact the game. Definitely Sterling Foden Kane for me.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 22:21:52 »

Definitely play for pens against Spain though! 35 in a row is maddeningly bad.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Thursday, May 27, 2021, 05:55:39 »

Watching the Europa League final tonight and it’s probably representative of what we can expect in the Euro’s being a high pressure match and both Greenwood and Rashford were completely nullified and failed to impact the game. Definitely Sterling Foden Kane for me.

Rashford was either trying to hard or not at the races.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 10:32:22 »

Interesting to see that the most experienced player in terms of caps in the provisional squad is Sterling, looking at this from the BBC website not sure why we need to name 3 keepers then. Goalkeepers can be replaced during the tournament in the event of physical incapacity, even if one or two goalkeepers in the squad are still available.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 15:46:07 »

All sorts of hand wringing and concern about right backs today.

Within recent memory England's right backs have been Danny Mills and Glen Johnson. We're doing okay there these days...

At the same time, what we wouldn't do for Rio Ferdinand or Sol Campbell to be in this generation.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 15:58:31 »

All sorts of hand wringing and concern about right backs today.

Within recent memory England's right backs have been Danny Mills and Glen Johnson. We're doing okay there these days...

At the same time, what we wouldn't do for Rio Ferdinand or Sol Campbell to be in this generation.

Everyone is a top class football manager or seems to know the ins and outs of the game these days if Twitter is anything to go by. The fact that the majority can't string coherent sentences together, suggests they may want to think again.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 15:59:55 »

He's gone with 4 right backs! He's lost the plot!

Wink

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 16:02:35 »

If we're not going to be playing 3 at the back more often than not, that's a very defender heavy squad.

As usual there are plenty of gnashing teeth but with 26, there are hardly any glaring omissions, as much as my Villa colleagues are convinced Ollie Watkins would be the difference between success and failure.

Attacking options look great. Less convincing further back but have a bit of a feeling Jude Bellingham might be the breakthrough player of the tournament.

Still, the path to the final looks brutal so I'm not confident.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 16:04:19 by Nemo » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 16:06:15 »

I agree Nemo. If I have to be ultra-critical central midfield to me looks a little weak as does the centre back slots and there does seem to be too many wing/full backs but overall I think that's probably as good as we could have got.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 16:08:28 »

Part of the fun of international football is that squads are unbalanced though, we seem to have reached the Belgium zone where a world class attack is married to a deeply shaky defence. It's not really fair for France to call Benzema back up and deprive us of a world class side with Olivier Giroud as a focal point.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 16:09:52 »

Part of the fun of international football is that squads are unbalanced though, we seem to have reached the Belgium zone where a world class attack is married to a deeply shaky defence. It's not really fair for France to call Benzema back up and deprive us of a world class side with Olivier Giroud as a focal point.

Indeed. And that could make our matches entertaining ding-dongs for once!

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 16:37:55 »

Fuck knows why they class players by position when these days there is such an overlap between the traditional rigid player positions, makes it sound like we only have 5 midfielders when there are getting on 10 of them who play in that area of the pitch.

Oh and squadwise I don’t think i would have swapped out any that of squad for any of the 7 who missed out
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: