Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Holidays are Coming - Sponsored by 4D  (Read 84762 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 11:23:29 »

Gay Village area is absolutely great for decent grub and you can maybe grab a cheeky snoop around the MAG - Art Gallery. Some decent and interesting installations in there at present. Would recommend The Molly House which does tapas style dishes and has a great bar. Peru Perdu is another that I think you would enjoy, Mr Orange

Gay Village is handily located as it's wedged right between Piccadilly and Oxford Rd Stations. As Tans mentioned, Deansgate area is decent too and basically the next stop along from Pox Rd.

If you want to keep it purely footy based then head towards Victoria Station where you'll find plenty of eateries but also the National Footy Museum.

All worth a look and if concerned about getting about, there's a free and very regular bus that you can get from Piccadilly to Victoria and back, which is handy when the weather is a smidge damp but forecast in these northern climbs is improving from tomorrow and Manchester is quite enjoyable to walk around as always plenty to do/see.

Been spending a lot of time filming in Manchester recently and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy  Pint

Kind regards,

Gareth Bamboo

NB; If you have time spare, the Crystal Maze Experience is a lot of fun, if only for some selfish nostalgia - pack your swimming cap if so  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 13:14:03 »

Northern Quarter is best for food and drink.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 13:54:18 »

Northern Quarter is best for food and drink.

Northern Quarter, Gay Village, Piccadilly Gardens are all pretty much within the same area and overlap one another. Decent grub and drink in most places around there.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 14:01:58 »

Not really a holiday as such but heading up to Manchester tonight for 2 nights. Any recommendations on kid friendly bars or restaurants and any areas to avoid? Last time I went to Manchester was when we played City in the cup at Maine Road in 96 (I think).

We're going to Man City v Leicester tomorrow and they have a legends lounge type thing. Hoping the legend will have a Swindon link, maybe one of the Summerbees, Shay Given or Kevin Horlock? (He'll be working more than likely)

If that is the same hospitality lounge at City that I am thinking of it is spectacular. Been lucky enough to be invited a few times and always see Mike Summerbee. Enjoy!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 14:48:31 »

Thanks guys for all the feedback, much appreciated.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 16:13:40 »

Thanks guys for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Probably not much help as rarely go to that Manchester these days, but looking at the suggestions above I would avoid Piccadilly Gardens like the plague unless its changed radically since I went there to buy lunch every day!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Friday, April 14, 2023, 16:24:03 »

Probably not much help as rarely go to that Manchester these days, but looking at the suggestions above I would avoid Piccadilly Gardens like the plague unless its changed radically since I went there to buy lunch every day!

Everywhere in Manchester and on a match day is going to be pretty busy.

Piccadilly Gardens is kind of wedged between Northern Qtr and Gay Village as you'll know, so is somewhat seen as purely a go between and a tram stop. However it's decent around the Town Hall if there's a market on which is only a stone's throw from Deansgate, Gay Village and Piccadilly Gardens at what they like to call Spinningfields but it's effectively Deansgate really; I think they've finished the restoration of the hall now as well, cracking building with no doubt many issues but a c325 million restoration spend seems to have rectified that  Eek

'Incessant Nonsense'

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 09:50:51 »

If that is the same hospitality lounge at City that I am thinking of it is spectacular. Been lucky enough to be invited a few times and always see Mike Summerbee. Enjoy!

It was the 'legends' area and didn't disappoint. I got it as a gift and dread to think how much it would have cost!! As you would imagine the whole think is slick as fuck and the staff to a man/woman were absolutely top class. Best food I've had in a long time. Sadly didn't see Mike Summerbee, the 'legends' floating about were Joe Corrigan, Paul Lake, Richard Edghill and Ian Brightwell.

I've obviously seen City close up before from the CG but first half against Lesta they were so good. They play so high up the pitch and their possession game is unreal. The ball is moved so fast and they have the quality players that can take the ball in tight positions and never give it away. De Bruyne, Grealish and Haaland were almost unplayable. Watching football as a neutral is never the same as watching Swindon at the CG of course, but it was lovely to see the awe on my nephew's face. Next time I'll try and get him to a Swindon game.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 13:09:24 »

We’re off to Amsterdam for a few days, ironically I’ve never been so should be an interesting time
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 13:22:21 »

Vegas was great.

Slept fine the first 3 nights back. Now jetlag kicks in. Weird.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Monday, May 8, 2023, 19:55:46 »

Has anyone had any experience of compensation for flights delayed over 3 hours?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Monday, May 8, 2023, 20:02:36 »

not a good one. Currently got a complaint in at the IAA disputing an Aer Lingus "exceptional circumstances" excuse. 3 months and counting

what's the question. there is also a good forum on money saving expert

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/flight-delay-compensation
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: Monday, May 8, 2023, 20:04:11 »

I got £300 from BA a few years back after a 6 hour delay and another £200 about a month ago after they cancelled a flight completely, maybe a sign that I should stop flying with them…

For the recent one there’s just a form to fill out on their website. Took 5 mins, money was in my account within about 3 weeks.

Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Monday, May 8, 2023, 20:05:49 »

Yes, I had two flights last year with Jet2. The first one got rejected as it was covid related, the 2nd one we got about £700 back.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Monday, May 8, 2023, 20:13:39 »

Thanks all. We had storms over Dublin Airport earlier and jts caused a knock on effect and our flight back to Birmingham (with Ryanair) will be at least 3 hours late. Just wondered if we should bother going down the compo route. We have an 8 euro voucher to spend in one of the many closed shops!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: