Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Holidays are Coming - Sponsored by 4D  (Read 84811 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Monday, January 30, 2023, 12:06:29 »

Sykes & Hoseasons are a good starting point

Thanks Dean, appreciate that.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Monday, January 30, 2023, 20:02:59 »

You will spend little time in the room. Other than sleeping. So no need for windows when your eyes are closed!

Take seasick pills just in case. Pace yourself on the food. Do some exercise in the gym or on the deck.

Great tips, thanks! Will get some sea sickness pills. All inclusive dining and the choice of restaurants does sound brilliant and dangerous. Am planning to do at least 5k on the gym runner every day, and walk around a lot. My excursions are trekking, snorkelling and kayaking so will be active off the ship too.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 30, 2023, 20:05:13 by mystical_goat » Logged
DMC

« Reply #497 on: Monday, January 30, 2023, 20:08:35 »

I feel now is a good time to remind and plug my business

https://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/dean.mcmackin/

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Monday, January 30, 2023, 20:33:59 »

Great tips, thanks! Will get some sea sickness pills. All inclusive dining and the choice of restaurants does sound brilliant and dangerous. Am planning to do at least 5k on the gym runner every day, and walk around a lot. My excursions are trekking, snorkelling and kayaking so will be active off the ship too.

I'd suggest Antihistamines as well - my wife got no joy from the seasickness stuff but a few of them and she was back with the living.
kaufman

« Reply #499 on: Monday, January 30, 2023, 20:38:57 »

We’re thinking of taking the young kids to sicily in May. Has anyone been or have a favourite area that might suit?

Cefalu looks a decent little town and not too far away from Palmero.
DMC

« Reply #500 on: Monday, January 30, 2023, 20:45:33 »

We’re thinking of taking the young kids to sicily in May. Has anyone been or have a favourite area that might suit?

Cefalu looks a decent little town and not too far away from Palmero.
Cefalu is a great option only about 40 miles from Palmero, nice sandy beach and has a little train etc
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 20:34:15 »

I stayed in Cefalu the last time I went abroad, probably about 5 years ago. Lovely town. Watch out for the cowboys that rent self-drive boats out. Ours caught fire (I was doing a doughnut at the time but not sure that made a difference.)
kaufman

« Reply #502 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 20:54:16 »

I stayed in Cefalu the last time I went abroad, probably about 5 years ago. Lovely town. Watch out for the cowboys that rent self-drive boats out. Ours caught fire (I was doing a doughnut at the time but not sure that made a difference.)

Cheers.
We’ve booked for a week in the old town. This means STFC now have to finish in the top 3 as I’ve booked it when the play off finals are taking place.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 22:14:04 »

I know everyone is different but I struggle to find how someone can get seasick on a great honking cruise ship. The round bottomed buoyancy on them is so much that even in/on groundy/rough/lumpy/swell seas like the Bay of Biscay, they hardly move about^

I just feel that if these people get bad on a cruise ship, I would dread to think how bad they might be if they sailed or were on a proper boat.

^As much as I know about boats, cruise ships don't tend to be flat/V bottomed, something that tends to make a boat pitch and roll more. Most cruise ships are usually round bottomed and are incredibly stable. I've also been on about three flat/V bottomed boats and I can vouch for the fact that they definitely move a lot when there is a bit of swell or even not much more than flat calm.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 22:20:00 »

Having just done my first, I can well imagine people getting seasick - waves were probably 20 ft for one day.  It's an odd feeling - fine if you stand facing one way, very disorientating if you stand facing another.  I was fine as it happened, but wife and daughter both rotten for that day.  Think it may actually be worse because it's so big, it happens quite slowly but consistently.  I went into a bar right at the front and did start to feel queasy after about 45 mins, so moved and was fine.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 22:31:01 »

Try playing pool on a cruise ship, great fun

Went on first cruise last year, was sceptical that I’d really like it but ended up loving it. You have got to get a cabin with a balcony though, lovely spot to watch the sun go down/up over the ocean
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 07:09:03 »

Having just done my first, I can well imagine people getting seasick - waves were probably 20 ft for one day.  It's an odd feeling - fine if you stand facing one way, very disorientating if you stand facing another.  I was fine as it happened, but wife and daughter both rotten for that day.  Think it may actually be worse because it's so big, it happens quite slowly but consistently.  I went into a bar right at the front and did start to feel queasy after about 45 mins, so moved and was fine.

Did you/they try and seasick pills? I've seen ginger ones, but thought I'd just have some ginger in my food or tea.

Try playing pool on a cruise ship, great fun

Went on first cruise last year, was sceptical that I’d really like it but ended up loving it. You have got to get a cabin with a balcony though, lovely spot to watch the sun go down/up over the ocean

Haha, will try pool on a wobbly deck! Balcony would be even more than £700 - that was the price for an 'ocean view window' (larger window). Couldn't I just go up on one of the top decks to see the sunset/rise? I guess sunrise is quite early in the Caribeean.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 12:16:28 »

The Ginger pills made them worse, so some allergy tablets worked in the end - they seem to block some messages going to the brain related to allergies that also manage to block the nausea, don't ask me how.

Sunsets and rises can be seen from above deck.  i had an internal room and it was fine.  Only used it for sleeping, but can imagine it would be a problem for anyone who suffers from claustrophobia.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 15:26:22 »

Couldn't I just go up on one of the top decks to see the sunset/rise? I guess sunrise is quite early in the Caribbean.

Off the top of my head and with it being fewer degrees North of the equator than the UK, the extremes in Sunrise/Sunset tend to be fairly equal there.

Don't hold a stick of sunblock to my head but anywhere with a latitude around the Caribbean area means Sunrises and Sunsets should be between about;

Sunrise - 6am - 6.30am
Sunset -  5pm - 7.30pm

Whereas the UK, as we know has much bigger differences in Sunset/Sunrise depending on the time of year and of course thanks to our latitude

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 16:27:09 »

my favourite little known fact about sunset: the shortest day isn't the earliest sunset time.

(only by 1 minute or so)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: